Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

smokedeels wrote: »
    but it didn't feel film worthy... like it could have been done as a mini-series or something (if that makes sense...)

That was one of the things I liked. To a normal person it would have been a big dramatic event but to Dredd it was more like any other Tuesday. Really gave a good sense of megacity life.

That was one of the things I liked. To a normal person it would have been a big dramatic event but to Dredd it was more like any other Tuesday. Really gave a good sense of megacity life.

The manner in which the comics depicted block wars and what not as big days for all those invovled but to Dredd it was just another day at work was always great. Always reminded me of the one great line in the live action Street Fighter movie.

Chun Li: [to Bison] It was twenty years ago. You hadn't promoted yourself to general yet. You were just a petty drug lord. Huh! You and your gang of murderers gathered your small ounce of courage to raid across the border for food... weapons...
    [indicates her binds]
    Chun Li: ... hmph. Slave labor. My father was the village magistrate. A simple man with a simple code: justice. He gathered the few people that he could to stand against you.
    [laughs]
    Chun Li: You and your bullies were driven back by farmers with pitchforks! My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away! A hero... at a thousand paces.
    Bison: I'm sorry. I don't remember any of it.
    Chun Li: You don't remember?
    Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

That_Guy wrote: »
    Thought this was excellent fun. No expectations going in and fully entertained going out. It was cheesy but hell, what comic book film isn't these days. Felt a bit like 'The Raid' yet still maintained a sense of originality.

Really enjoyed it. One of the loudest films I think I've witnessed in the cinema for quite some time too. Not complaining but I did notice one or two in the row in front of me who jumped a mile when sudden loud scenes took place :pac:

Compared to the Stallone version this was a breath of fresh air, I can't see how you thought it was cheesy though? Gr*tty as f*ck I'd say.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Compared to the Stallone version this was a breath of fresh air, I can't see how you thought it was cheesy though? Gr*tty as f*ck I'd say.:eek:

Some of the one liners were cheesy to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i was actually impressed how they managed to resist them.

most of the one liners i recall came from anderson.

it'd be WAY too easy for a dredd film to turn into an arnie "stick around" fest so the fact they let the violence do the talking was refreshing.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i was actually impressed how they managed to resist them.

most of the one liners i recall came from anderson.

it'd be WAY too easy for a dredd film to turn into an arnie "stick around" fest so the fact they let the violence do the talking was refreshing.

:D

I don't remember any from Anderson at all? I thought the one liners Dredd did have were great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Now thats how you make a Dredd film! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Loved Dredd's line:
    "You have ten seconds to comply" Surely a nod to Robocop's ED-209?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Super action movie,captured the grime & grit of Megacity one perfectly.Karl Urban nailed the role.
    Delighted that it was 18 certified as this is how Dredd should be portrayed,dark & violent.
    The 3d was excellent,especially during the slo mo scenes.A nod has to go to the soundtrack,loud & booming-a perfect compliment to the action going on.

Looking forward to the sequel already.:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Great film, gf loved it too, man I am happy I chose this over total recall. Really captured Dredd well. I'd love to see more! Imagine a series like that, oh yes :-p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, 2nd highest poster in this thread, yet I must be honest in that I've only ever read one or two Dredd stories (one of them being Batman vs. Dredd); it's the same with most comics - thanks to cultural osmosis, I know an unhealthy amount about their mythologies, despite not being an actual reader of them.

So long story short, would any Dredd fans here be able to point towards some good stories to pick up? Can you even do so? Seems like as good a time as any, and I've been meaning to read Dredd for the longest time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, 2nd highest poster in this thread, yet I must be honest in that I've only ever read one or two Dredd stories (one of them being Batman vs. Dredd); it's the same with most comics - thanks to cultural osmosis, I know an unhealthy amount about their mythologies, despite not being an actual reader of them.

So long story short, would any Dredd fans here be able to point towards some good stories to pick up? Can you even do so? Seems like as good a time as any, and I've been meaning to read Dredd for the longest time.

I'd recommend Origins, myself. It gives a history of how the world ends up as it does and how the judge system of lawmaking comes into being.

It's available as a collected book.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heh, I read Judgement on Gotham too! Apart form that one or two randome issues and a few 2000AD annuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Your best option would be to pick the the complete case files to get all the good stuff in order as Dredd as changed so much over the years unlike Marvel/DC characters but for a quick jump in and read I'd suggest the America graphic novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

So many great responses to this movie. Im wondering when a movie has had this much positive response in here.
    I just hope it does well at the box office because we will not get a sequel if it doesnt.

Its only coming out this week in the states isnt it?

From what I read it needs to do well there if there is going to be a Dredd 2

Fingers crossed:o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

They nailed Dredd as a character, Megacity One looked suitably gritty, and they didn't shirk from the violence. A great adaptation, but it was the little details that really made it for me.

Dredd's helmet...the scrapes and dents in it show how much action he's seen without a single word or bit of exposition.
    During the opening chase scene...Dredd doesn't stop to see if the guy who's hit by the van is still alive, or to see if he can help him. Not his job, not his concern. Shows his focus on the perps, again without getting into clunky dialogue.
    After the hotshot scene, the announcement in the mall over the speakers, as you're seeing the blood of the slain bystanders being cleaned up, saying that the mall will be back open in 30 minutes. Like someone's spilled something...it re-enforces the brutality of life in Megacity One without resorting to a character telling the audience.

All of these subtle things in the first few minutes of the movie totally set the tone, and acclimatised the audience to the setting. Really well done. Very much looking forward to sequels. If they bring the Dark Judges into it, I think they'll be done in a "Nolan's take on Batman" kind of way. I wouldn't be expecting trans-dimensional spirit stuff, but a mutant/scientific experiment gone wrong kind of approach to their background and origin. The world portrayed in this movie is too gritty and real to bring in the overly super-natural elements of the Dark Judge storylines imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

saw it yesterday in 3d. i liked it a lot, not too long , very enjoyable. i have been a big 2000ad comic fan for years and i thought they nailed the attitude and atmosphere. i was'nt happy with story not moving outside one building (but id say this was because of a small budget so understandable).

other minor gripes: the lawmaster looks terrible, mega city one is supposed to look like futuristic new york /east coast (not present day L.A.), plot/story depth could have been better, (more social satire etc). but very relieved after the stallone nightmare.

i really hope it makes enough so they make the 2nd one about 'The cursed earth'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Yeah I think those issues are mostly down to budget limitations, hopefully this one does well so the next one can get a bigger budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Meesared wrote: »
    Yeah I think those issues are mostly down to budget limitations, hopefully this one does well so the next one can get a bigger budget.

Part of the reason this is a good film is because of its small budget – even if they make a sequel a ****load of money won’t equate to a better film. The fact of the matter is that with a small/ limited budget the filmmakers have to actually start thinking about how to create an appealing film.

I hope a sequel is made but I don't want to see the money on the screen, I want to see the thought and creativity going into the movie, as with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭_GOD_

As someone said Origins but I would also recomend 'America', really shows Dredds fascist side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Tayleur wrote: »
    So many great responses to this movie. Im wondering when a movie has had this much positive response in here.
    I just hope it does well at the box office because we will not get a sequel if it doesnt.

Its only coming out this week in the states isnt it?

From what I read it needs to do well there if there is going to be a Dredd 2

Fingers crossed:o
    i think those days are gone, nearly every film does most of it business outside of america, it just needs to do well, its budget was about 50mill, so id say a world wide BO of 200mill would guarantee a sequel,

and going by the near perfect positive response its getting its more a matter of when than if they get a green light for a sequel,

don ramo wrote: »
    i think those days are gone, nearly every film does most of it business outside of america, it just needs to do well, its budget was about 50mill, so id say a world wide BO of 200mill would guarantee a sequel,

and going by the near perfect positive response its getting its more a matter of when than if they get a green light for a sequel,

Alex Garland reckon if it gets $50m the studio would green light a sequel. The studios that financed it DNA, IM Global and Reliance are not Warner brothers, they are much smaller and I would reckon they dont need $200m to give the go ahead for a sequel.

I dont think any of those studios have done a sequel before, but DNA seemed very enthused by the project from start to end, and it showed.

_GOD_ wrote: »
    Alex Garland reckon if it gets $50m the studio would green light a sequel. The studios that financed it DNA, IM Global and Reliance are not Warner brothers, they are much smaller and I would reckon they dont need $200m to give the go ahead for a sequel.

I dont think any of those studios have done a sequel before, but DNA seemed very enthused by the project from start to end, and it showed.
    yeah but if the film makes 50 million it means they loose money, studios only get a percentage of the BO, they dont get the whole thing, then you have to factor in the marketing which could be an addition 10-20 million,

also if your gonna green light a sequel you might want to increase the budget, and how much the first film raked in at the BO will determine how much you can invest in part 2,

don ramo wrote: »
    yeah but if the film makes 50 million it means they loose money, studios only get a percentage of the BO, they dont get the whole thing, then you have to factor in the marketing which could be an addition 10-20 million,

also if your gonna green light a sequel you might want to increase the budget, and how much the first film raked in at the BO will determine how much you can invest in part 2,

Im pretty sure the marketing budget, which was a pittance was included in the 40 million budget though.

Id say they would definitely give it a big budget. The reason for the contemporary vehicles and that we didn't see much of the city was down to the budget. Perfect sequel fodder, just has you begging for more

Im pretty sure the marketing budget, which was a pittance was included in the 40 million budget though.

Id say they would definitely give it a big budget. The reason for the contemporary vehicles and that we didn't see much of the city was down to the budget. Perfect sequel fodder, just has you begging for more
    any film that doesnt make at least double its budget back at the BO is never gonna get a sequel, and any studio that does make sequels to bad performing films will not last long, people who invest money expect to at the very least get their money back,

its not really an issue for this film though, its a solid start to an action film franchise, that has made a great first impression,

i predict 300-400million BO for this, id be very surprised if it came in below that,

yeah $50mill at the US BO, itll make more money overseas than it will in the US, just like 97% of film released in the last 10 years have done,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

As someone said Origins but I would also recomend 'America', really shows Dredds fascist side.

Also; "The day the law died"; shows just how perverted the system can be turned & how totalitarian its reach can be when desired, given the right application of pressure from within. But it is perhaps not a story for someone completely new to Judge Dredd.

Also ....

Does anyone know of any box office figures published to date?

Lemming wrote: »
    noting released yet, it has only been released here, spain and the uk so far, its not out in america for another week,

i use box office mojo for BO info and they dont have much info up for it yet,

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »

http://boxoffice.screendaily.com/films/20827-dredd

This is from the weekend gone I think. Im hoping word of mouth will help the figures improve for this week

Advertisement