Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I saw it on Sunday. My friend wanted it to see it and I was kind of expecting it to be rubbish but I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Saw it a second time with herself yesterday, enjoyed it even more the second time around than the first, which was a surprise! She loved it also.

Have to say, when I saw it the first time there was about 15 of us in the cinema, last night it was jammed, this really is going to be a word of mouth film. Don't be shocked if the box office shoots up by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Saw it a second time with herself yesterday, enjoyed it even more the second time around than the first, which was a surprise! She loved it also.

Have to say, when I saw it the first time there was about 15 of us in the cinema, last night it was jammed, this really is going to be a word of mouth film. Don't be shocked if the box office shoots up by next week.

My thoughts exactly, a few of my mates weren't too sure but after I told them how good it was they've decided to check it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Venom wrote: »
    Your best option would be to pick the the complete case files to get all the good stuff in order as Dredd as changed so much over the years unlike Marvel/DC characters but for a quick jump in and read I'd suggest the America graphic novel.
    _GOD_ wrote: »
    As someone said Origins but I would also recomend 'America', really shows Dredds fascist side.
    Red Hand wrote: »
    I'd recommend Origins, myself. It gives a history of how the world ends up as it does and how the judge system of lawmaking comes into being.

It's available as a collected book.

Cheers for the suggestions; I'll see about picking up Origins & America and see how I go. I presume neither of these are so heavy on back-story & mythology that I'll be completely lost, right?

I've seen Dredd twice this week. Absolutely loved it. I might go see it again this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭_GOD_

pixelburp wrote: »
    Cheers for the suggestions; I'll see about picking up Origins & America and see how I go. I presume neither of these are so heavy on back-story & mythology that I'll be completely lost, right?

Origins is a backstory. It gives the origins of the Judge system and mega city one, not of Dredd himself so much. It also showed a shift in Dredd's character but you wont fully get that without a lot of back reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've seen Dredd twice this week. Absolutely loved it. I might go see it again this weekend.

Already thinking about seeing it a second time myself - wifey is away next weekend! She went to see it with me, but I don't think it has the necessary 're-watchability' for her.

In terms of favourite bits....... SPOILER:
    Caleb getting thrown from the balcony when Ma-Ma's gang stop firing the mini-guns. Epic the way Dredd just wanders out, flings him into space and walks back - no messing, no stupid one-liners, no threats.

My only minor, niggly criticism would relate to the 'feel' of Mega-City One - I think it needs to be much more claustrophobic - the mega-blacks should be on top of each other, the roads jammed etc. I think the sunshine does give a West Coast feel to it, but I assume that's to give the impression of a scorched wrecked world.

The lawmasters were ok, but I liked the lawgiver. And the uniforms (including the helmet) which looked like they'd been through some serious action!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I liked it, thought the action was a bit meh in places but the slo-mo stuff was good and Urban was good as Dredd, Headley was cool, nice to see an actress not have perfect skin and teeth in an apocalpytic world. The feel of the city was cool, loved how casually everything goes back to normal after the scene with the atrium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

18-rated Dredd tops UK box office chart

"Futuristic 3D action movie Dredd has become the first film carrying an 18 certificate to top the UK and Ireland box office chart since 2010.
    Based on 2000AD character Judge Dredd, it claimed the top spot after taking £1.05m between Friday and Sunday."

Slow weekend it may have been, but that's a decent performance so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Jawgap wrote: »
    18-rated Dredd tops UK box office chart

"Futuristic 3D action movie Dredd has become the first film carrying an 18 certificate to top the UK and Ireland box office chart since 2010.
    Based on 2000AD character Judge Dredd, it claimed the top spot after taking £1.05m between Friday and Sunday."

Slow weekend it may have been, but that's a decent performance so far.
    thats cause they rarely release 18 cert films, they always remove scenes or shoot them to get 12A or 16 certs to get the kids in,

i didnt think dredd deserved an 18 cert, i dont recall seeing anything that bad that i havent seen in an R or 16 film, odd one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

don ramo wrote: »
    thats cause they rarely release 18 cert films, they always remove scenes or shoot them to get 12A or 16 certs to get the kids in,

i didnt think dredd deserved an 18 cert, i dont recall seeing anything that bad that i havent seen in an R or 16 film, odd one
    I don't know. Skinned bodies smacking the ground forcibly and seeing one of the corpsese brain material...it should be 18 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

don ramo wrote: »

Besides the usual swears/violence/nudity
    Skinned bodies being thrown many many stories
    Flashbacks of these bodies being skinned
    Slow motion images of faces being torn apart by bullets
    People being shot to sh!t left right and centre
    Even the butt of the gun to the throat had me wince

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The ammount of drug use in the movie would be enough to make it a hard 18.
    I know the delivery system is an inhaler rather then shooting up but it's classed as multiple scenes of drug use.

Mega city 1 wasn't crowded enough was was too 'clean' looking, other then that in the tower the look and feel was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Red Hand wrote: »
    I don't know. Skinned bodies smacking the ground forcibly and seeing one of the corpsese brain material...it should be 18 imo.
    Besides the usual swears/violence/nudity
    Skinned bodies being thrown many many stories
    Flashbacks of these bodies being skinned
    Slow motion images of faces being torn apart by bullets
    People being shot to sh!t left right and centre
    Even the butt of the gun to the throat had me wince
    im clearly desensitised to that stuff :o:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What the hell is with the lack of 2D showings? I was planning to this in the cinema but it looks like I'll be waiting for the DVD.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What the hell is with the lack of 2D showings? I was planning to this in the cinema but it looks like I'll be waiting for the DVD.

Yeah, this was the first time I had absolutely no choice but to see a movie in 3D. In fairness its used pretty well as 3D goes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm the same, this may be the first time in a long while I'll purposefully wait for a home release unless more 2D screenings show up. I swore Hara-Kiri was the last straw for those ****ty glasses for me, and as much as I'm looking forward to seeing this, I'd feel bad breaking that solemn vow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It would seem the lack of 2D showings is largely down to the distributor (Entertainment Film Distributors) rather than cinemas. Although I've still emailed Vue and Cineworld complaining about the lack of 2D showings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It actually does 3D pretty well, certainly better then some of the recent 3D offerings in the last few months. I really enjoyed the film. Had the right mix of violence and action, and was quite surprised with how much i enjoyed it. Hadn't expected much, so that helped i'd say.

I'd say Karl Urban was glad to finish filming...it must have been tough to keep that scowl in place for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I'm the same, this may be the first time in a long while I'll purposefully wait for a home release unless more 2D screenings show up. I swore Hara-Kiri was the last straw for those ****ty glasses for me, and as much as I'm looking forward to seeing this, I'd feel bad breaking that solemn vow.

Its a shame they dont give people the choice to see this film 2d if they want. But I do feel its also a shame not to see it on the big screen. Like most good action flicks they are always best seen in the cinema.

The 3d in this for the slow mo actions scenes is well worth the watch. Its the only time iv felt 3d was somewhat justified. I would at least say, dont let it put you off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Its a shame they dont give people the choice to see this film 2d if they want. But I do feel its also a shame not to see it on the big screen. Like most good action flicks they are always best seen in the cinema.

The 3d in this for the slo mo actions scenes is well worth the watch. Its the only time iv felt 3d was somewhat justified. I would at least say, dont let it put you off.

I'm a firm believer that every film benefits from a big screen (and I go to the cinema way too much as a result :pac:), and home viewing is usually reserved for films I couldn't get around to or only later appeared on my radar. But I'm afraid 3D almost negates all the benefits of the big screen for me. I've heard the 3D has been 'pretty good' in lots of film before - Hugo, Up, Cave of Forgotten Dreams... but I remain entirely unconvinced that it's anything other than a complete visual nuisance. I've been fooled far more than once!

I know I really should check this out ASAP, but if the distributors / cinema don't give me the choice to see it properly than I'm afraid I'll just have to wait. I don't necessarily want to, but a plethora of experiences have proven that I'd rather just wait for the BluRay than have to don a pair of 3D glasses. Stubborn, yes, but stubborn through experience.

I'm a firm believer that every film benefits from a big screen (and I go to the cinema way too much as a result :pac:), and home viewing is usually reserved for films I couldn't get around to or only later appeared on my radar. But I'm afraid 3D almost negates all the benefits of the big screen for me. I've heard the 3D has been 'pretty good' in lots of film before - Hugo, Up, Cave of Forgotten Dreams... but I remain entirely unconvinced that it's anything other than a complete visual nuisance. I've been fooled far more than once!

I know I really should check this out ASAP, but if the distributors / cinema don't give me the choice to see it properly than I'm afraid I'll just have to wait. I don't necessarily want to, but a plethora of experiences have proven that I'd rather just wait for the BluRay than have to don a pair of 3D glasses. Stubborn, yes, but stubborn through experience.

I totally agree with you about 3d. No argument here and I totally agree with you when you say its just another random person saying the 3d is good on an internet site. Who am I to be believed.

I cant say for definite you will not have the same opinion as all those other films you have been told where good in 3d and where not.
    But my gut feeling is you will enjoy this in the cinema regardless of 3d way more than blue ray.

I personally think it would be a shame for anybody not to see this movie in the cinema based on the ill judgment of the creators (or whoever) not to allow people to see it in 2d.
    I still feel however that the slow mo scenes (which are spectacular) need to be seen on the big screen in 3d to be truly appreciated. They really thought about how to make 3d experience work more for the viewer in these scenes than most other films lately.

This movie was an independent movie not from Hollywood and its great because they where allowed to do things that Hollywood would never have allowed (story and violence) and I feel the same is true of the 3d experience they tried to create.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Room 201

Saw this for the second time today and speaking as a fan of the comics it's great and the second viewing made me like it more (despite some pretty serious technical issues at the cinema I'd gone to...)

Picked up on more of the little touches like the belly wheel in the opening chase/shoot out, choppers tag and a few others mentioned on this thread. Also I was much more accepting of Urban as Dredd 2nd time around. Some of his grimacing looks like they were pulled straight out of the panels of the comics.
    First 3D movie I've appreciated too. I have glasses so it usually doesn't work so well for me wearing two pairs, all the others i've seen have had quite a lot of blurring or a ghostly doubles of the actors.
    Some of the gore ended up being kinda pretty with the slow-mo and 3D. I would agree it should have had an 18s cert though.

The city did still seem a bit small in scale, the towering blocks looked quite distant from each other but i could right that off to myself as just the sectors shown. Still could use a bit more of the manic weirdness of the megacity 1 in the comics but I'm happy to settle with the nods shown as an introduction and I really hope this gets sequels.
    Only other gripe would be the helmets do look slightly off proportionally, distractingly at times, and the Lawmasters are utterly stupid looking.

Room 201 wrote: »
    Saw this for the second time today and speaking as a fan of the comics it's great and the second viewing made me like it more (despite some pretty serious technical issues at the cinema I'd gone to...)

Picked up on more of the little touches like the belly wheel in the opening chase/shoot out, choppers tag and a few others mentioned on this thread. Also I was much more accepting of Urban as Dredd 2nd time around. Some of his grimacing looks like they were pulled straight out of the panels of the comics.
    First 3D movie I've appreciated too. I have glasses so it usually doesn't work so well for me wearing two pairs, all the others i've seen have had quite a lot of blurring or a ghostly doubles of the actors.
    Some of the gore ended up being kinda pretty with the slow-mo and 3D. I would agree it should have had an 18s cert though.

The city did still seem a bit small in scale, the towering blocks looked quite distant from each other but i could right that off to myself as just the sectors shown. Still could use a bit more of the manic weirdness of the megacity 1 in the comics but I'm happy to settle with the nods shown as an introduction and I really hope this gets sequels.
    Only other gripe would be the helmets do look slightly off proportionally, distractingly at times, and the Lawmasters are utterly stupid looking.

I know your pain

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's really worth seeing in 3d. It'll make you forget just how bad Wrath Of The Titans was.

Worth seeing in a cinema with a good sound system,the soundtrack & noise of the action really adds to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

looks like even the ones that had slapped on the odd 2D have all stopped.

i was gonna go with the brother so he could see it. guess its the pirate route now.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Room 201 wrote: »

Saw it last night and agree 100%. Great film, with such a small budget I think they done a great job. Hopefully a sequel with bigger budget is not very far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i get what people were saying when they mentioned carpenters films.

:D

that soundtrack wouldnt be out of place in escape from new york. major props to whomever decided to go with that as it sets the tone perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Absolutely loved it.Used to read my brothers 2000ad's when I was a kid and although I hardly remember it I watched this thinking,'yea this rings a bell'.
    I don't like 3D,would have preferred to watch it in 2D but it didn't interfere with the film.
    Most bizarre thing about it was hearing Matt Berry's theme from Snuffbox all the way through it.
    I even waited for the credits for confirmation that that was what I was hearing.

Great film.Gotta ring my bruv and see if he still has those comics.

Advertisement