Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Joeface

it Deserves a sequel .

It could have gone the way of Conan and its 18cert and been awful waste of time but it Didnt. its pretty damn good.

its only out in the US since the weekend so it has time. it has done pretty good in the UK so far . and it has a long drawn out release schedule , so it might do it . It is not out in Germany till November.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So what are the possible reasons for this not doing well?

-I thought it may have been due to the fact people were going on word of mouth but by the time the word spread, the cinemas had pulled it. But seeing these openings means the online community aren't believing what they read?
    -Maybe people waiting until later on before seeing it?
    -Guys not being allowed to go because their other halves want to see something else? Though looking at those movies listed, not many are aimed at women, which may also be a problem. Too much competition for the same audience.
    -The 18/R rating?
    -The 3D?

well 3D was a put off for me in the beginning ,always gives me a headache(except this time for some reason) and GF did want to see it.

As for female attendance . Main Bad person = female , also second to Dredd is Female ,
    Dredd's boss is Female, i know not really a spoiler
    ...so its not really anti female .

and for someone to say My GF/wife didn't want to see it so I couldn't go .That is the worst excuse ever.
    Main reason for bombing , not as popular as a comic as PPL would like. so its struggles world wide. its best chance is word of mouth. but Time is against it.

Omniplex in limerick has already dumped it. Odeon still has it not sure about the showtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

In Ireland it had Anna Karenina and Hope Springs as counter-programming so there was options both weeks so far. Haven't seen the 3rd weekend numbers yet but I will tomorrow. In the US it had End of Watch which has a similar gritty edge and a R rating. Resident Evil also pulled some of the audience, as did House at the End of the Street. That said Lawless would have pulled numbers form its Irish box-office and it still managed to do okay.

It opened in 2,506 screens so almost the same as End of Watch's 2,730, so it wasn't an availability issue. The online community never has as big an impact on BO as it would like to believable. I think the marketing made it look bleak, dark and excessively violent and the US audience is still wary of that.

Dredd never had the in-built audience of the DC or Marvel characters and yet it is still branded as a comic-book film so that puts off some people. There is 3D fatigue and this was very heavily marketed as 3D. To the point were 2D screenings were/are rare. That definitely could be a factor, although in this instance the 3D actually works.

It's probably a combination of all of those factors, plus the memory of the Stallone Dredd. The BO is down considerably this year compared to last year too as Hollywood continues to churn out deriative sequel/prequel/franchise-bait and audiences are growing weary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So what are the possible reasons for this not doing well?

-I thought it may have been due to the fact people were going on word of mouth but by the time the word spread, the cinemas had pulled it. But seeing these openings means the online community aren't believing what they read?
    -Maybe people waiting until later on before seeing it?
    -Guys not being allowed to go because their other halves want to see something else? Though looking at those movies listed, not many are aimed at women, which may also be a problem. Too much competition for the same audience.
    -The 18/R rating?
    -The 3D?

All the big movies have come out over the summer and this is one of those movies where it wouldn't have had as big a draw to non comic fans as the Marvel movies or TDKR, and it didn't have a viral campaign like Prometheus...

Above all I would say the lack of 2D is a big issue. So when people weren't given the option to go 2D the interest wasn't as high for this as the movies mentioned above, so people were probably like 'fuck that, I'll wait for dvd/download'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

There are a number of reasons (I'm also wary of going over the top with excuses because if you're explaining you're losing..)

But anyway here goes:
    • September is typically seen as a dumping ground for movies that studios don't know what to do with (case in point is the House at the end of the street, this has been getting failry tepid reviews but it does have Jennifer Lawrence in it fresh from her Hunger Games success).
    • The top movie this weekend took in $13million, just over twice what Dredd took. This tells me that September cinema attendence is seriously off compared with the summer months,
    • The R rating would limit the audience as well (translates in to less bums on seats).
    • No offence or disrespect to Karl Urban, but he's not a headliner that will draw crowds in. Now, in his defence, he is fantastic in this movie and does a great job being Dredd but alas, it's not going to be enough.
    • The Stallone abomination is still killing this for most people in the US (the less said about that the better).
    • Familarity with the source material, JD is very much a British comic book stalwart, JD's publication history in the US has been patchy to say the least over the past decade or so with several attempts getting the character out there. This is also borne out by teh UK box office (over $4million so far which is impressive)
    • The biggee is that despite word of mouth being very positive and Comic Con reports giving this a glowing review, the target audience who are familar with this just isn't big enough to get it to the top of the pile. The worrying thing is that if this continues then it means that less and less new comic material will be given the chance at a big screen outing. Similar concerns were voiced when Watchmen was released. Love it or hate, people were being told to go and see that movie it in theatres for the simple fact that if they didn't no movies like it would be greenlit in future.
    Anyway, I'm still hopeful that it'll do resonably well when the final worldwide tally is made closer to the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Where exactly is it out yet. Am I right in thinking its just UK, Ireland, Spain and now the states?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film has also been receiving a very mixed response from critics in the US: ranging from cautious praise to straight-up vitriol. Was particularly surprised to see The AV Club slate it with such passion - they'd normally be quite amiable to properties such as this. In general, there actually seems to be a slight discrepancy between audience and critic reaction to this. The rotten tomatoes rating is a tad misleading, as many of the positive reviews are much more reserved in their enthusiasm than unweighted review aggregators might suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

the top 20 films in the US BO took in $85 mill the weekend gone, when you think that The Avengers opened to $207mill, then shortly after you had films like Snow White, Madagascar 3, Brave, Ted, MIB3, Prometheus, Spider Man, all opening above $50mill

and also films like the The Dark Knight Rises with $160mill and The Hunger Games $152mill, it just shows that late spring/early summer up until the end of july is peak season for film releases, from the start of august the top releases just took in less and less,

were in dumping ground season and people really need to look for a good film, im fairly surprised this came in so low in the US, its a good solid action film, with a solid cast, probably not as recognizable as other, but i thought itd be enough to at least challenge for top spot, hopefully itll have some legs and stay around for a month or two, but this really seemed to be the first sizable release to kind of say **** you to 2D fans, i do wonder if that played a part, my local almost always gives a 2D option, but it didnt with this, it was really pushed for 3D, i didnt mind it, but id say a lot of people do,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

As well as the other reasons I also think the trailers and clips didn't do it any justice since the slow-mo scenes are taken out of context and make it look like a video game for the sake of it.

Many people I've spoken to didn't want to see this film because they thought it would be utter muck and that 3D is shìt in itself.

Worst thing is this movie is far from crap and the 3D, while not great, doesn't hinder the movie at all and does have some nice elements to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

I think word of mouth might take a while to trickle down. I was practically weaned on 2000AD/Dredd, yet had planned to wait to catch this on DVD. Mainly because the trailers looked completely uninspiring and the '3D' tacked onto the title was a huge, huge turn-off. It was only someone I trusted saying, "No, you really need to see this" that prompted me to get out to the cinema. The boyfriend is an even bigger 2000AD fan than me, and I had to drag him by the ear to see this.

Of course, we were both completely blown away and have been proselytizing left, right and centre. I really hope they get a sequel — especially now I've read some of Garland's thoughts on what he'd like to do.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tis a shame. It's been pretty successful outside of the states so far though right? I can see it doing very well on DVD too. Probably needs to do well in the states to get thet sequel sanctioned though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Tis a shame. It's been pretty successful outside of the states so far though right? I can see it doing very well on DVD too. Probably needs to do well in the states to get thet sequel sanctioned though.

Just wondering why it would need to do well in the states in order for it to get a sequel?
    Earlier interviews from the creators also mentioned that it needed to do well in the states. 50 million was mentioned.

If it makes a profit worldwide would that not guarantee a sequel? Especially considering its not an American movie to begin with.

Is it that they where hoping this movie doing well there would help them get American investors for a possible sequel, I wonder

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tayleur wrote: »
    Just wondering why it would need to do well in the states in order for it to get a sequel?
    Earlier interviews from the creators also mentioned that it needed to do well in the states. 50 million was mentioned.

If it makes a profit worldwide would that not guarantee a sequel? Especially considering its not an American movie to begin with.

Is it that they where using this movie as a way of getting in American investors for a possible sequel?

I'm not sure tbh, I just remember reading about Alex Garland saying it needed to make 50m in the states. I thought that since it wasn't really a US production in the first place it would still be able to get a sequeal if it was successful elsewhere.

When films are deemed a success/failure it never seems to take box office outside of the US into acount for some reason as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well don't lose heart; sounds like Alex Garland and the rest of the crew would like to the do a sequel, so if the returns are modest enough & there's enough goodwill out there, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility a sequel would be greenlit.

I wonder if the deliberate lack of 2D screenings knocked back the takings; Mark Kermode in his blog made mention that he received a lot of complaints from UK punters over the absence of normal showings - no more than some of us in here, I'm sure plenty of people said no-thanks to seeing it in 3D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well don't lose heart; sounds like Alex Garland and the rest of the crew would like to the do a sequel, so if the returns are modest enough & there's enough goodwill out there, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility a sequel would be greenlit.

I wonder if the deliberate lack of 2D screenings knocked back the takings; Mark Kermode in his blog made mention that he received a lot of complaints from UK punters over the absence of normal showings - no more than some of us in here, I'm sure plenty of people said no-thanks to seeing it in 3D

I don't think the lack of 2D would have helped, I'm sure plenty would avoid 3D for financial reasons as well as just not liking 3D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sometimes better just to be happy that you got one satisfying adaptation though. I know Judge Dredd has a long, exploitable history but other franchises have had to do without even one fulfilling cinematic reimagining.

Financial success is one of the most meaningless barometers of quality, given that the best cinema infamously tends to be the least commercially viable. If it finds favour amongst its target audience and a wider viewership and achieves its artistic goals? Well that's a big success in its own way.

People remember the one-offs and successful originals with affection while countless franchises and sequels have disappeared into irrelevance. Perhaps there is scope for more Dredd (and I still haven't been able to see the damn thing to comment on that :mad:) but don't let the always disheartening mechanisms of the market get you down (again, www.thisisirishfilm.ie/box_office/ is one of the most depressing sites around). At least this one managed to squeeze through the cracks.

Sometimes better just to be happy that you got one satisfying adaptation though. I know Judge Dredd has a long, exploitable history but other franchises have had to do without even one fulfilling cinematic reimagining.

Financial success is one of the most meaningless barometers of quality, given that the best cinema infamously tends to be the least commercially viable. If it finds favour amongst its target audience and a wider viewership and achieves its artistic goals? Well that's a big success in its own way.

People remember the one-offs and successful originals with affection while countless franchises and sequels have disappeared into irrelevance. Perhaps there is scope for more Dredd (and I still haven't been able to see the damn thing to comment on that :mad:) but don't let the always disheartening mechanisms of the market get you down (again, www.thisisirishfilm.ie/box_office/ is one of the most depressing sites around). At least this one managed to squeeze through the cracks.

I agree with you but for some reason this film has me wanting a sequel more than most and its not because I think its the best film Iv ever seen. Its not. (It is a very enjoyable and refreshing one).

I think I really want a sequel because I can see the potential for some great movies. I guess I just really want to see Mega City, more Dredd and finally to see what they could do with Judge Death. This film while very good always felt like a taster of whats to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

It still early days and this movie could still do well through word of mouth.
    DVD sales are also important.
    Fingers crossed cause this was a very decent action movie considering its low budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It still early days and this movie could still do well through word of mouth.
    DVD sales are also important.
    Fingers crossed cause this was a very decent action movie considering its low budget.

The problem is that a lot of the target audience would rather just download the movie when it comes to dvd than actually support it by buying the dvd or Blu Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

That is a problem with us nerdy types. The exact market that this film is aimed at is the market that will download rather than get the Blu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Watched it today, it's a lot of fun and I think regardless of its box office draw it will definitely gather a cult following.

Did the drug scenes remind anybody else of this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Regardless of whether the film is good or not, I'm delighted to see it flopping. I'm sick of this 3D crap, especially the way it was forced on audiences with this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Regardless of whether the film is good or not, I'm delighted to see it flopping. I'm sick of this 3D crap, especially the way it was forced on audiences with this film.

Its a catch-22 for audiences, they reduce less 2D screenings, meaning people have to see the 3D one, then do some market research and think "well people clearly love 3D!" and do even less 2D screenings. Its infuriating. I didnt mind the 3D in Dredd, at least it was shot that way I cant stand post-production stuff, of the 3D films I've seen that I actually enjoyed the 3D aspect of Dredd, Prometheus, Avatar and Jackass 3 all used it well.

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of 3D movies (for every Avatar there are three Clash of the Titans released). But in this case I really wanted to see a good interpretation of the Dredd character. The fact that it was in 3D (which was used very well in the slo-mo scenes IMHO) didn't bother me at all. I'm obviously in a minority though. At the very least, I got a faithful movie adap of one of my favorite comic book characters (box office be damned).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I doubt Dredd not doing well would have any effect on future movies having 3D.

I would question though the thinking of having an 18s movie in 3d and not providing alternatives in 2d.
    Id imagine its kids who prefer 3d and that is the reason it does well with pg 13 and the like.

This movie was for adults who from what I can see mostly dont like 3d. The option to provide both formats should have been taken.

I presume the lack of 2d showings is the same in all the other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I saw Dredd at the weekend and thought it was enjoyable but not exceptional (having said that, compared to Stallone's version it's a Grud-damned masterpiece). I wasn't impressed with having to see the 3D version as there were no 2D showings left, it was very nearly a deal-breaker for me but I wanted to see it on the big screen.

I felt the 3D didn't really add anything to the film though at least it wasn't too distracting either. After a while I stopped noticing it altogether which made me feel like it was a bit redundant in the first place.

The opening scene was a bit of a let-down for me. It looked too much like a modern city. They should have ditched the car chase and had a smaller introductory scene with Dredd vs some perps high on slo-mo in a different block (I couldn't shake the reference to 'Cake' from Brass Eye every time someone described how slo-mo worked).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It would be interesting to see how much the film's UK box office fell below expectations. The UK distributor obviously took a calculated risk in cutting out the 2D showings and releasing the film almost solely in 3D. But it's a relatively low budget film with an adult rating, so they probably didn't have high hopes for it anyway and were trying to maximise potential revenue. As already mentioned, September is dumping ground season, so I assume the studio didn't think much of the film.

• Advertisement

It would be interesting to see how much the film's UK box office fell below expectations. The UK distributor obviously took a calculated risk in cutting out the 2D showings and releasing the film almost solely in 3D. But it's a relatively low budget film with an adult rating, so they probably didn't have high hopes for it anyway and were trying to maximise potential revenue. As already mentioned, September is dumping ground season, so I assume the studio didn't think much of the film.

Just out of curiosity what makes you think that it fell below box office expectations in the UK? Currently it looks like it's made about $5million there, similar money to the movie Lawless (and with a lesser know cast it has to be said).

Also, have you seen the movie yourself? And if you have (issues with the 3D format aside) what did you think of it? Do you think, as a movie, that it deserves the drubbing at the box office that it appears to be getting? I'm not trolling here, just genuinly interested in whether or not you thought the movie was worth any sort of merit.

Advertisement