Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Hmmm... really hope this is a test shot or mock-up.

His lower face is not craggy enough, the helmet looks far too big for him (too far away from his face - always liked they way Dredd's mask seemed part of his face, it was that close) shoulders not broad enough, too much padding on body armour. The Lawgiver's almost as big as him for drokk's sake!

Maybe he'll look better in a moving shot, but both he and the costume look pants so far.

The. Mask. Stays. On.
    This is something that should be in their contract and not up for discussion. It'll turn out like Spider-Man where we see Tobey's mug far too often when he's in costume.

They should get a hulking unknown actor so he won't be complaining about face time with a gravelly voice (or have Christian Bale do a "Dark Knight dub" on it, like James Earl Jones did for Darth Vader :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what bad guys would you like to see?
    Judge Death has to be his ultimate nemesis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The only man in showbusiness with a sufficient jaw to play Dredd is Robert Z'Dar. Remember him in Tango and Cash?

18909-18946.jpg

yeah i remember him from the Maniac Cop series

Gulliver wrote: »
    Hmmm... really hope this is a test shot or mock-up.

His lower face is not craggy enough, the helmet looks far too big for him (too far away from his face - always liked they way Dredd's mask seemed part of his face, it was that close) shoulders not broad enough, too much padding on body armour. The Lawgiver's almost as big as him for drokk's sake!

Maybe he'll look better in a moving shot, but both he and the costume look pants so far.

The. Mask. Stays. On.
    This is something that should be in their contract and not up for discussion. It'll turn out like Spider-Man where we see Tobey's mug far too often when he's in costume.

They should get a hulking unknown actor so he won't be complaining about face time with a gravelly voice (or have Christian Bale do a "Dark Knight dub" on it, like James Earl Jones did for Darth Vader :pac:)

Urban has repeatedly stated that the helmet stays on. He seems to be a genuine fan and wants to resepct the material. The released picture looks to be a wardrobe test and while I do have some problems with it, it's certainly bad ass enough for a Dredd film. Urban is a great actor who can pull off action which is something the role needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Skerries wrote: »
    what bad guys would you like to see?
    Judge Death has to be his ultimate nemesis

Would love to see Mean Machine Angel and the rest of the Angel gang. Love the character.:D Maybe use the Judge Child storyline if they want to give Mean a little screentime.

Would love to see the Judda storyline from Oz done if there is to be a trilogy as is being rumoured.

Have the Judda storyline in the first film with Kraken being introduced at the end of the film like in the comic.

Then in the second have Dredd take the long walk and Kraken take the Dredd role.

This of course would lead to the Necropolis storyline for the third film and get Judge Death in on the act.

The Apocalypse War would make for a good second film as well if they wanted to use the first film as a way to introduce Dredd and his world to non fans.

Of course there is always Rico, but as he was the main villan in Stallone's Dredd, I cannot see him being used.

Oh yeah, I want Anthrax's "I Am The Law" to play during the end credits. :)

Chopper for Oz :)

Chopper for Oz :)

I love the Chopper storyline in Oz, but I think the only part of the Oz storyline that would work for a Judge Dredd film is the Judda part. The Chopper parts of Oz and the Super surf 10 bits have Dredd playing pretty much a cameo role which would not be much good for a Judge Dredd movie.

The Judda/Morton Judd storyline is a big one that led directly to Kraken taking over as Judge Dredd as all the Judda share the same DNA as Dredd, with Joe Dredd taking the long walk. And then that appointment and departure led directly to the Necropolis storyline and the real Dredd returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

There's a copy of the script, for those who don't mind spoiling it for themselves, online: here it is.

And updates of production photos etc.over here.

70767_1450906302_8025149_n.jpg

41508_1450906302_3717410_n.jpg

judge 'judge' pic and article about fan expectation here

EDIT: I seem to have killed this thread...Was it something I said?

"Dredd" conceptual designer Michael Van Kesteren posted this on the 2000AD forums: http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,30965.690.html

Hiho all..

Here I sit, this forum on one monitor, the Lawgiver design spinning around on the other..

To awnser a few questions, Jock wasn't the only person to do concepts work on this movie. As far as I know he did pre-pre production work, moods, feelings and the like, but since we started I haven't seen anything else. They do keep us on a tight leash, so I do stand to be corrected. There were 7 of us at one point. The three of us from Altered States ( Jason & Andre Human and myself) are tied in to the manufacturing side of things (hence why some of my facebook updates involved manufacturing comments), props, bits of wardrobe, little bits of set dressing here and there, while the other 4 from Hero concept art (Joe Pistorius, Lorraine Alvarez, Daniel Hugo and Graeme Cowie) were doing more sets. They had a more limited run on the show, as they came in later and didn't have the fortune to be associated with the fabrication department, and were more or less done when they started to nail the first bits of wood together.

Personally I've been doing the Lawgiver, the Lawmaster's cannons and one or two other weapons and some small stuff. The Lawgiver was my baby, so to speak, and I'm really, really chuffed that it's been so well received. Obviously I had an initial concept from Jock to work on, and had to work within the designers brief, but it's not their birthday and Land Rover's license plate number in the weapons serial number

I must admit that early on I was somewhat skeptical of some of the decisions being made, but by seeing more and more of the bigger picture it's all fitting better and making a lot more sense. Also seeing the sets and having a look on the monitors (for instance, I needed to sort out some paperwork for my car and had to go to the civic center, seeing the set, then visited a location shoot which happened to be up the road from where I live) is making me really excited about the look of this picture. I might be biased because I'm so close to the show, but I feel it's going to be pretty good. Hopefully I won't end up having to eat my words here..

Everyone here is working very hard to create a good result. Obviously with a big production like this (big for South African standards, that is..), there's going to be the odd communication failure, but so far the atmosphere's been great, which helps.

I'd LOVE to show everyone the pics I've taken so far, but I'm in no position to do so without jeopardizing my position. I'd rather err on the side of caution and not spoil anything.. But as said before, there are definitely eagles, the helmet doesn't look that big when you're standing next to him and yes, she's blonde.. But don't expect to see anything changing. Everything is locked down.

Cheers all

Michael van Kesteren

Concept designer DREDD

• Advertisement

Although almost a third of the film has been already shot; the part of the villain has yet to be cast: The strongest rumour* at the moment is Lena Headey from '300' and 'The Terminator Chronicles' TV series.

*Reasons for that being, she's not too well known to be prohibitively expensive, she has the skill and gravitas to play it, and she's popular with American Sci Fi fans (many of whom tried to run campaigns to have the series re-instated after Fox axed it). The part is no way a glamorous one, but for professional british acctress Headey, that probably wouldn't be a problem.

Headey makes sense, and some hints have been dropped that point to her... but this is yet to be confirmed.

What is certain is that Wood Harris, who played Avon Barksdale in 'The Wire', is set to be in it, and Olivia Thirlby from 'Juno'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Although almost a third of the film has been already shot; the part of the villain has yet to be cast: The strongest rumour* at the moment is Lena Headey from '300' and 'The Terminator Chronicles' TV series.

*Reasons for that being, she's not too well known to be prohibitively expensive, she has the skill and gravitas to play it, and she's popular with American Sci Fi fans (many of whom tried to run campaigns to have the series re-instated after Fox axed it). The part is no way a glamorous one, but for professional british acctress Headey, that probably wouldn't be a problem.

Headey makes sense, and some hints have been dropped that point to her... but this is yet to be confirmed.

What is certain is that Wood Harris, who played Avon Barksdale in 'The Wire', is set to be in it, and Olivia Thirlby from 'Juno'.

A female main villain. It must be a character made just for the film as I can only think of two main female villains off the top of my head and they are the Sisters Of Death, Nausea and Phobia. The only other thing I can think of, would be a twisting of the Galen DeMarco character into a villain rather than a friend of Dredd's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

trustno1 wrote: »
    A.B.C. Warriors for me please!.. followed by Slaine and THEN followed by Rouge Trooper.. I would also be on for a decent Judge Dredd once it features Judge Death and Co..
    Is that you, Pat Mills?

Kess73 wrote: »
    A female main villain. It must be a character made just for the film ...

Yep: The Block name is 'Peach Trees' and the villains name is...
    wait for it: Ma-Ma.
    So the trademark 'cool names' element of the strip has definitely either not registered with Mr Garland or else he's just not very good at it.
    The production company are hoping for a success that would launch Dredd for another two projects,so in a sense,- this is an establishing story with a fairly 'low level' gangleader/street villain; analagous to 'Whitey' in Prog2.

This is a bit of gas (you've to sit through an ad before it plays but it's worth it)'Nostalgia critic': judging DreddThat-guy-with-the-glasses-nostalgia-critic.jpg

she of the brothers grimm and 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

lena-headey-00-470-75.jpg
    Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles actress Lena Headey has reportedly been cast as the villainess in the new Judge Dredd movie.

Fansite Judge Dredd Movie News have announced that Headey has been cast as Madeline Madrigal aka Ma-Ma, the leader of a gang who have taken over the Peach Tree City Block.

Which will come as a surprise for anybody who’s seen the script, which describes the character as in her late 50s with “a big scar through her cheek and lip”.

Though Headey’s clearly younger than that, she could rock the scar look in her sleep. This is the woman who played Sarah Connor after all.

A more faithful version of the original 2000AD comic than Sly Stallone’s film, this new 3D Dredd stars Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby, and is being directed by Pete Travis with a script by Alex Garland.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/judge-dredd-remake-villain-could-be-lena-headey?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=totalfilm&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+totalfilm%2Fimdbnews+%28Total+Film+IMDb+aggregate%29

movie-lawmaster1.jpg

Holy Batburgler. Somebody just nicked the 1960's Batcycle, and did a bad pimp my ride job on it. :D

Batcycle_1000.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hope to God that's only a mockup-it looks awful and nothing like the one in 2000AD.

4389988976_4d1b4d7631_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

trustno1 wrote: »
    A.B.C. Warriors for me please!..

Have you ever seen this? I'd love if it was made into an animated series -

It’s a wrap: Shooting completed for Judge Dredd

From:http://www.eyewitnessnews.co.za/articleprog.aspx?id=59966&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

International and local film-makers have wrapped up production on the first ever 3-D film shot on location in Africa.

The shooting of the R245 million Judge Dredd was completed at Cape Town Film Studios in Faure this weekend.

The studio’s Chief Executive Officer Nico Dekker said they managed to pull it off, despite the fact they were still finishing the studio construction.

"It was quite a challenge and the film itself was very demanding and is still demanding in the sense that it is the first 3-D action film to be shot in the African continent,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

another-new-shot-of-karl-urban-as-judge-dredd-online-62037-01-470-75.jpg

A new shot of Karl Urban as bad-ass law enforcer Judge Dredd has been revealed online.
    The first image of Urban suited and booted appeared online last November, and this second image confirms the campy frills of Sly Stallone’s 1995 Dredd are well and truly dead.
    Directed by Pete Travis and co-starring Olivia
    Thirlby and Lena Headey, this new adaptation of the comic has Dredd attempting to control the feral streets of Mega City One.
    And Urban looks suitably sinister as the no-nonsense Street Judge, with his Dredd promising to be a darker, neo-noir vehicle that is truer to the original comic.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/another-new-shot-of-karl-urban-as-judge-dredd-online?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=totalfilm&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+totalfilm%2Fimdbnews+%28Total+Film+IMDb+aggregate%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    another-new-shot-of-karl-urban-as-judge-dredd-online-62037-01-470-75.jpg

A new shot of Karl Urban as bad-ass law enforcer Judge Dredd has been revealed online.
    The first image of Urban suited and booted appeared online last November, and this second image confirms the campy frills of Sly Stallone’s 1995 Dredd are well and truly dead.
    Directed by Pete Travis and co-starring Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey, this new adaptation of the comic has Dredd attempting to control the feral streets of Mega City One.
    And Urban looks suitably sinister as the no-nonsense Street Judge, with his Dredd promising to be a darker, neo-noir vehicle that is truer to the original comic.

why with the massive helmet? whyyyyyyy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Isn't that the style that they had in the early issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's not that massive, and if you look at it from the point of view of trying to make Dredd more gritty and realistic, it's probably designed to be more functional like an actual helmet and not just a costume accessory like in the Stallone movie.

I remember the first stills I saw of Batman Begins, I wasn't at all impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

humanji wrote: »
    Isn't that the style that they had in the early issues?

Judge_dredd.png

doesnt have the roundy eyes, does have the spherical feel to it but thankfully they ditched that fairly sharply

still think a Rogue Trooper film would be the shiznit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

still think a Rogue Trooper film would be the shiznit

Or Slaine.

That'd be a head**** to watch.

Advertisement