Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

just out of curiosity is there many films that didnt do well at the box office but still got a sequel. Maybe because it had good reviews, cult following or went on to do well on DVD.

Also isnt this movie recieving a staggered release worldwide? Could it still creep up to around the 45 million mark?

Im grasping I know:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just out of curiosity is there many films that didnt do well at the box office but still got a sequel. Maybe because it had good reviews, cult following or went on to do well on DVD.

Also isnt this movie recieving a staggered release worldwide? Could it still creep up to around the 45 million mark?

it been relased in all the big markets by now, dont think Honk Kong and New Zealand are big markets, its out in germany on November 15th, but again i dont think itll be enough to bulk up the BO

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/releaseinfo

i dunno i cant really think of a BO bomb that got a sequel its very rare if it ever happened, you might get a reboot 10 or 20 years later if your lucky,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Have a look at this table of box office bombs and see if you recognise any films that have gotten a sequel.

I know there's more Street Fighter films coming out despite Legend of Chun Li crashing and burning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I must admit I feel a little hard done by the insinuation (admittedly not made in a hostile or even intentional way by most) that by not going to see this film that people are in someway hurting or limiting independent releases, and I'm sure Sad Professor and others would feel the same. ...

Not in the slightest; I think most people who read this forum would know you & SadProf are not the type of person to give indo movies a kicking (and by my own admission, Dredd is questionably 'independent' anyway). And certainly nobody can question the principle of a blanket ban, god knows yours lasted better than mine; maybe I just feel guilty that I broke my promise on a movie that admittedly I was keen to see.

My only contention - more of a frustration really - is that the enemy in this fight isn't movies like Dredd, it's the big marquee Summer films, and cynical reprints like Titanic & Finding Nemo, that are the ones people should be boycotting. Which of course they won't; I'm convinced that studios are fudging the figures with enforced 3D runs so they can skew box-office successes like Avengers or Hobbit (in all likelyhood) to 'prove' that audiences want 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im pretty sure one of the main reasons hulk got a sequel/reboot was it did ridiculous business on DVD.

personally i put the flop down to the fecking retarded decision not to have 2d showings and appalling marketing.

the ad was atrocious IMO and didnt impart the real feel of the film.

TBH there was plenty of scope to do some viral stuff playing up the dirty harry angle as despite all the comparisions to "the raid" its got more in common with the enforcer.

i will say this is the first film to piss me off in how i was forced to watch it in a format i didnt want to (feeling gouged in the process as it aint cheap when foods factored in) PLUS managed to alienate people i know wanted to see it but couldnt thanks to eye conditions.

so well done to whatever suit thought this was the way to go as IMO it killed this film stone dead in the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Saw it last night as I like empty cinemas.
    Very good, considering it was on a tight budget.
    Urban was perfect as Dredd. It was good that he wasn't entirely a cold hearted bastard.

I liked the idea of it being set in one building. It makes sense really as in the comic, the blocks were so important as a major piece in most of the stories.

You have everything you need in them so it worked for me.
    I'm very sure there will be a sequel but I'm not so sure the Judge Death would work; I think it's going to Rico.

The 3D wasn't over used and worked were it was added.
    Only gripe was the Bike; it just looked a bit too Mad Max for me; customized rather then made specifically for the role.

Overall, 8 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh here by the way im just back from resident evil retribution and one of the ads before it was for silent hill 2.

the first one died on its arse (despite probably being the best video game to film conversion done) so if it can get a sequel so can dredd !

keep the faith lads

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

oh here by the way im just back from resident evil retribution and one of the ads before it was for silent hill 2.

the first one died on its arse (despite probably being the best video game to film conversion done) so if it can get a sequel so can dredd !

keep the faith lads

:D
    Did Blade ever do well at the box office? I think it just got a cult following and major dvd sales and then a sequel came. I could be totally wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Silent Hill took 100,000,000 at the Box Office, and adding in rental and DVD sales, that's a fairly healthy performance.

Dredd has a long way to go to match that!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Blade made money also from the quick search I did. Actually all the Blades did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very good article in the Independent about Dredd's box office failure and the decline of 3D:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/10/16/dredd-shows-why-the-3d-film-format-is-doomed-again/

Good article.

One quick point they got wrong though. It has made more than half its budget. Its around the 33 to 34 million dollar mark and it still has some more countries left to open in.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

For all those who missed the cinema release and those who want to see it again and own it, the release date for DVD has been given JAN 14 2013. Pity it not before Xmas. Would be nice for it to do well on DVD and find the larger audience it deserves

Well worth a watch and a good throw back to action movies of the 80s and 90s

Read about the release date here. http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/23150/dredd-dvd-and-blu-ray-release-date-revealed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Tayleur wrote: »
    For all those who missed the cinema release and those who want to see it again and own it, the release date for DVD has been given JAN 14 2013. Pity it not before Xmas. Would be nice for it to do well on DVD and find the larger audience it deserves

Well worth a watch and a good throw back to action movies of the 80s and 90s

Read about the release date here. http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/23150/dredd-dvd-and-blu-ray-release-date-revealed

Haven't bought a DVD in couple of years....but I'll buy this when it's out. So glad I saw it on the big screen.

Anyone know where Judge Minty is showing in Ireland whether it is or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

gah, Im livid I didnt get to see this in the cinema, in my defense ti had a limited release and wasnt shown in the poxy Carlow Cinema. I can watch it on blueray in 2013 I suppose

How long is Judge Minty? I thoght fan films were generally about 15 minutes long

Pretty sure its a full film:
    http://judgeminty.blogspot.ie/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was really looking forward to seeing. I was in Australia and in Perth just as it was released over there. My problem was though that none of the cinemas in Perth were showing it. Now that I'm home and it's not in the cinema here anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched this again last night with the missus,not the same when someone keeps asking silly questions instead of just watching the film.

Even so,it's just as good 2nd time round.

Seen it a few times myself. Enjoyed it just as much each time. Deserved to do much better at the box office. I think its around the 36 million mark or so

It still has to run in the cinema in one or two countries. Japan is one I think.

Trailer for the blue ray release here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=225Glg5CoVY

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Watched this last night, loved it! Thought it was brilliant tbh.

Surprised it hasn't done well at the box office, it's a shame really. But then again, I wouldn't have gone to a 3D showing as I'm just not a fan of 3D. Also I didn't think the trailers for the movie were that good, they had a video game vibe to them which put me off. The only reason I watched it was because of some good comments I'd seen about it on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I seee from various twitter comments about the film that this thread's about to get popular again. Can't wait for the DVD/Blu-ray to be released on January 8th (US, 14th here I think) but in the meantime bring on the cheapskates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Is this out on dvd/blu ray? One of the pleasant surprises of 2012 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Imagine a sequel with the dark judges in it ?

Soiling myself already.......

Watched this last night, loved it! Thought it was brilliant tbh.

Surprised it hasn't done well at the box office, it's a shame really. But then again, I wouldn't have gone to a 3D showing as I'm just not a fan of 3D. Also I didn't think the trailers for the movie were that good, they had a video game vibe to them which put me off. The only reason I watched it was because of some good comments I'd seen about it on this forum.

I thought the trailers were really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Missed it in the cinema as I'm on a personal protest against £d, but couldnt get a 2d showing anywhere :9

Defo wanna see it though, anyone whose opinion and reviews I gravitate towards, said this was a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Out in New Year.I got from 'a friend' in Korea.;)

Saw it in 3d on big screen and I must say the 3d was excellent & properly done,even in 2d on a 47" screen it was still great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ebbsy wrote: »
    Imagine a sequel with the dark judges in it ?

Soiling myself already.......

Doubt that there will be a sequel:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

zerks wrote: »

Out in New Year.I got from 'a friend' in Korea.;)

Saw it in 3d on big screen and I must say the 3d was excellent & properly done,even in 2d on a 47" screen it was still great.
    I saw it 3D too and was impressed. Though I'm easy to impress when it comes to 3D, all I ask for is a clear and colourful film and not a muddled mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Just watched it there, thought it was brilliant. Karl Urban plays the silent, badass tough type quite well I think. Reminded a lot of Doom with The Rock.

Hope to god they make those sequels they were talking about.

Advertisement