Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Just watched it there (Pre-legitimate release). I' couldn't be bothered supporting one of the best films of the year when it mattered but will happily sing its praises when I don't have to fork out for a cinema ticket.
    /s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Goldstein wrote: »
    Just watched it there (Pre-legitimate release). I' couldn't be bothered supporting one of the best films of the year when it mattered but will happily sing its praises when I don't have to fork out for a cinema ticket.
    Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

It was OK, Urban was a good fit and the tale held my attention till the end, short and sweet, but to say it was one of the best movies of the year is a bit of an exageration (2c).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's in the top five films I've seen this year. Would be a crying shame if they weren't to make a follow up, so I really hope there's big DVD sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Doubt that there will be a sequel:(

Has to be man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Well done.

tbh I have no real problem with anyone who does this, I would hope though that if someone sees it for free and they liked it then support it on blu ray. It's a great film and needs all the support it can get to make sure we see more output from the pages of 2000AD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Nice to see a few more people have seen what a decent film Dredd is. Even if it takes certain ways that can not be discussed, at least its helping spread what a good little flick this is. So maybe if you have enjoyed it then go buy it when its out.
    It really did deserve better when it was released but it seems the money men fecked up with its promotion.

I really hope we will get to see some sequels but at this stage it would need to do well on dvd to have any chance. Ill be making it one of my first buys after crimbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It's in the top five films I've seen this year. Would be a crying shame if they weren't to make a follow up, so I really hope there's big DVD sales.

I saw this in the cinema and it's my only planned blu ray purchase of 2013, brilliant film.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

when is it out ? remember the first edition of 2000ad,king kong was in mega city i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Saw it yesterday and deserved all the praise it has been getting, It was class !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Saw it today, really enjoyed it, everything I hoped it would be really. Definitely one for my BR collection!

I wish it had done better at the box office, but going purely from my own experience, the "Dredd 3D" move was a bit unnecessary. I personally don't like 3D (even if here it used for actual story enhancement purposes) and movies with "3D" tacked onto the end seem to be given a kiss of death before audiences even have a chance.

I purposely tried to find 2D viewings, I dunno about you guys, but I found it hard if not impossible to find a 2D screening of this. Really disappointing, as a sequel would obviously require a decent box office haul.

Anyway, the movie itself. Plot was fairly straightforward but well paced. It's wall to wall action but Garland's script is tight and the directing is excellent. Really excellent, it reminded me of District 13 in a lot of ways, every special effect shot was used with purpose and artistic flair.

Urban and Thirlby (hawt!) were very good together as the "training day" partnership of mentor/apprentice. Hats off to Urban, the guy continues to impress as an actor and doesn't receive the praise he deserves. Sure, Bale and company are willing to alter their bodies for a role, how many of them (ok, you got me Tom Hardy!) would willingly obscure most of their faces for an ENTIRE movie just to be true to the roots of a little british comic book? Sly couldn't do it.

Costumes (which I initially despised from early promo shots) fit the gritty setting perfectly, functional and probably more in the Deathrace 2000 spirit of the original Dredd design.

Sure, you could point at the plot being a little simple, not much in the way of an expanded Dredd universe and all the caustic satire we would expect of 2000AD and Ma-ma being a weak addition to the rogue's gallery, but that could all be resolved with a sequel.

A brave, competent and faithful adaptation of what was always an anti-DC/Marvel publication that succeeded for me in a summer with two of the biggest DC/Marvel releases. It's nice to be reminded of how different british comics actually were, now that DC and Marvel are all "rebooting" their line-ups instead of going for original and different stories, although this is one reboot that was definitely needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Well done.

Ditto. The industry badly needs more like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It isn't going to get a sequel. It lost money due to poor marketing and a badly timed release. It's a shame as it was a good film and Karl Urban was an excellent dredd.

It's a crying shame it didn't do better at the cinema, but it's likely that it will have a cult following on DVD and bluray for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its annoying how poorly it did, why don't people realise that if movies actually aimed at adult audiences do fcuk all business at the box office that we'll keep getting watered down pg versions of movies and have to fork out to see the "unrated" versions of things that should have been 18s to begin with. Dredd was well worth seeing in the cinema and nobody bothered, which will probably kill the chances of any follow ups with bigger budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Kirby wrote: »
    It isn't going to get a sequel. It lost money due to poor marketing and a badly timed release. It's a shame as it was a good film and Karl Urban was an excellent dredd.

While I think its unlikely it will get a well deserved sequel. I dont think its definite yet
    The film has made about 36 to 37 million and it still has to run in Japan. If it did really well there and on Dvd there may still be a chance. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Does it really need a sequel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Gamb!t wrote: »

Definitely not. It was a perfect self-contained movie. However, given how great a job was done on it, seeing a follow-up of the same standard is definitely something I'd like to do. Especially given the amount of shite that does get a follow-up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

krudler wrote: »
    Its annoying how poorly it did, why don't people realise that if movies actually aimed at adult audiences do fcuk all business at the box office that we'll keep getting watered down pg versions of movies and have to fork out to see the "unrated" versions of things that should have been 18s to begin with. Dredd was well worth seeing in the cinema and nobody bothered, which will probably kill the chances of any follow ups with bigger budgets.

Well it depends on the traction gained from DVD / BluRay sales really; it's not entirely uncommon for films to get sequels on the back of otherwise unsuccessful first tries. If rubbish like Ghost Rider can get a sequel this year, then why not Dredd? A successful home release & fan following on the internet might convince backers that there's wriggle room for another.

It is always funny though when certain films threads gain sudden activity again, around the time the film appears on torrent channels. I'd hope those who are decided to duck out of a ticket or DVD sale would do the decent thing if they enjoyed the film enough & purchase a copy.

Not entirely, but Alex Garland spoke about how rough plans for a sequel would have involved the famed Dark Judges, which excited many Dredd fans. Seems that having introduced the MegaCity world in film #1, Garland would have amped up the sci-fi quotient further.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Garland said it needed to make 50 million in the states to guarantee a sequel. I still wouldn't write off its chances completely but I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Kirby wrote: »

Have to agree 100% with this. The marketing guys shït on this from a height with their advertising campaign in the USA. And to add insult to injury the DVD/bluray release is scheduled for January (completely missing the Christmas market). It really did deserve better than this. Having said that I've preordered my copy and I am looking forward to re-watching it in glorious Hidefinition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

phil1nj wrote: »
    Have to agree 100% with this. The marketing guys shït on this from a height with their advertising campaign in the USA. And to add insult to injury the DVD/bluray release is scheduled for January (completely missing the Christmas market). It really did deserve better than this. Having said that I've preordered my copy and I am looking forward to re-watching it in glorious Hidefinition.

Ya, that confused me too. The blu ray is out Jan 8th, could they not have pulled it in a few weeks to hit the Christmas market? As it is, this bluray is a part of my Christmas present from my missus but I have to wait until after Christmas to get it :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I would have gotten it as a present. A few of them. I don't personally have a way to play dvds/blue rays, nor would I want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I dont think any film needs a sequel, especially if the first film is a good one but for me a sequel for Dredd would be greatly welcomed.

The first movie was a great introduction to the character of Dredd but due to finances they couldnt really explore the world of Dredd.

Another movie or two could really expand on what was a great start.

How would a spin-off Dredd TV show do I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Again, I don't know how the majority feel about 3D, but I know that I and most of my friends don't enjoy it (I actually have a pretty weak left eye, so 3D just doesn't work for me most of the time).

This article here talks about Dredd and the 3D gamble:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/10/16/dredd-shows-why-the-3d-film-format-is-doomed-again/

It's unfortunate that Dredd was used as the wager in this 3D gamble, and the franchise may rot for another 17 years because of it.

As for traction from video sales, I agree, plenty of examples: Futurama, Family Guy, Firefly...seems like the only thing going against this movie is it doesn't start with an "F"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched it again the other day, really deserves a sequel and was one of the most pleasant surprises I saw in the cinema. I'm not a fan of 3D but it was nicely done and utilised well in this film.

Marketing was absolute horror, I imagined a completely different and brain dead film from the trailers and clips (slow no clips which were taken out of context) rather than the smart and enjoyable one we got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Now how has everyone watched it again recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Now how has everyone watched it again recently?

I also watched it again the other day *cough*

All joking aside, I enjoyed Dredd just as much as when I saw it in the cinema. I always know a film is good if I come out buzzing and talking about it with friends which I did for this and The Hobbit, and I cant remember after that...

Such a shame that it bombed because they wont be making another one now. We can only hope that it mops up on DVD because that may hopefully get them thinking about a sequel.

Advertisement