Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just watched this tonight *coughs louder than dr gonzo* ... :pac:

I enjoyed it. Although the first half kinda felt slow. Not boring by any means but not "amazing" ... But it really picked up later on. Shame there wont be a sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Give it a rest, guys. Boasting/bragging about watching illegally downloaded content is against the charter and this thread is slowly drifting in that direction. If you can't post about the film without subtly alluding to how you pirated it then don't post at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

subtly

Subtly? :confused:

I watched it when it came out in the cinema because I'm a productive and law abiding member of society.

It was pretty good even if the plot was a little boring. I want to see more of Megacity. That's whats great about sci-fi, when you get to explore a completely different reality, particularly one that's so interesting like this. So hopefully there is a sequel. But it was good, it wasn't full of **** or didn't go over the top like many other films do and I enjoyed it. It's pretty well made and it wouldn't disappoint you any way. I'd give it an 8/10 because it's good and it's well made though Anderson seemed a little young, there was a teenage vibe of her at times at the start which I think didn't work and was annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I watched it this morning. I enjoyed it thoroughly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Give it a rest, guys. Boasting/bragging about watching illegally downloaded content is against the charter and this thread is slowly drifting in that direction. If you can't post about the film without subtly alluding to how you pirated it then don't post at all.

That was exactly my point.
    This is one film that really needs the sales support, if we are to ever get a sequel and if we want to see mature 18s content in big budget events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

phil1nj wrote: »
    Have to agree 100% with this. The marketing guys shït on this from a height with their advertising campaign in the USA. And to add insult to injury the DVD/bluray release is scheduled for January (completely missing the Christmas market). It really did deserve better than this. Having said that I've preordered my copy and I am looking forward to re-watching it in glorious Hidefinition.

I don't think it was a case of bad marketing, but rather a case of a limited budget. I reckon they hoped word of mouth would get people to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I don't think it was a case of bad marketing, but rather a case of a limited budget. I reckon they hoped word of mouth would get people to go.

Really? So the combination of limited TV spots, only 1 theatrical trailer (released very late in the day I might add), no real effort to distinguish this movie from the Stallone abomination, the limited 2D showings and the painfully staggered worldwide release dates weren't down to the marketing folks? Not to mention the US September release date which is normally seen as a month for the release of dross that the studio don't know what to do with.

Sorry, still think those folks charged with promoting this fücked up big time with how they handled an otherwise cracking action movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Caught this last week,

Thoroughly enjoyable and get why it got such high praise, thought it was fantastic.

Hopefully the DVD dales can shoot through the roof and give the studio some indication there is interest out there, just no in 3D. (The silly slow mo stuff, built for 3D, was the most annoying part of the film imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I saw it in the flicks at the time and felt it was the film that "the film that shall not be named" should have been
    a more dark toned film with the city being another character which they did but would have loved to have seen more of it.
    i'll definitely get it on BR at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm not a fan of 3D in the least but I thought that this was one example of a film where it added a lot to the movie. I didn't think the Slo-Mo stuff was "silly" in fact I felt that it provided a unique look and feel of the film by providing a plot point which showed the quality of the 3D off without having **** just thrown at the camera. Yeah it's a gimmick and yeah I'm sure the film will still be good in 2D but overall I was pleasantly surprised about how I felt about the 3D on this film.

Hopefully Dredd gets strong Blu-Ray/DVD figures and that leads to a sequel because with a bigger budget I think they could have a great movie franchise here. I think the Dredd world lends itself to an Arkham City-style video game as well. Just a damned shame that the box office figures make all of that unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

A sequel to this film would of been terrible.
    Take it from my vast experience on the matter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

phil1nj wrote: »
    Really? So the combination of limited TV spots, only 1 theatrical trailer (released very late in the day I might add), no real effort to distinguish this movie from the Stallone abomination, the limited 2D showings and the painfully staggered worldwide release dates weren't down to the marketing folks? Not to mention the US September release date which is normally seen as a month for the release of dross that the studio don't know what to do with.

Sorry, still think those folks charged with promoting this fücked up big time with how they handled an otherwise cracking action movie.

All that is explained by my point, i.e., the lack of budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

They didnt even show this movie in my local omniplex :( and i was really looking forward to it, hopefully can watch it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Astonished that it did so badly in the box office when I checked on wiki.

It's fairly good. Would've liked to have seen it in the cinema. Apparently they did the 3D quite well.

The 18 cert probably also hurt sales. They probably should've toned down the violence a tiny bit, even if it meant not being true to the comics (not sure how gory they were).

I didn't think it was that amazing and I'm not terribly bothered that they're not making another one. I think the praise for it is a little ott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gbear wrote: »
    They probably should've toned down the violence a tiny bit, even if it meant not being true to the comics (not sure how gory they were).

Never!!!!! I absolutely hate this whole 'tone the film down to make more money' crap we see going on lately. We need more big violent action films.

Judge Dredd and Mega City 1 are dark, violent places. We already had it camped up and toned down in 1995 - for the love of god, not again!
    I didn't think it was that amazing and I'm not terribly bothered that they're not making another one. I think the praise for it is a little ott.

It's all relative really. If you were a fan of the comic you'd probably have loved it. I've been waiting for a proper adaptation since I started reading 2000ad in the early to mid 90s. Thought this was going to be terrible but it was great.

Sure, there were some niggles (Mega City 1 doesn't look like Mega City 1, and Dredd's helmet sits too high on his head) but it was exactly what I wanted to see.

Cannot wait for the Blueray release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Haven't looked forward to a BluRay release so much in years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

o1s1n wrote: »
    Never!!!!! I absolutely hate this whole 'tone the film down to make more money' crap we see going on lately. We need more big violent action films.

Judge Dredd and Mega City 1 are dark, violent places. We already had it camped up and toned down in 1995 - for the love of god, not again!

Ideally that's fine but you have to decide what you want more, violence, or another Dredd film.

Ideally that's fine but you have to decide what you want more, violence, or another Dredd film.

But surely the violence is a fundamental part of what makes a Dredd film.

Master of the Universe

Beefy78 wrote: »
    But surely the violence is a fundamental part of what makes a Dredd film.

Pretty much this alright. I'd rather have them release one film and get it right than release a toned down series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

One of the best movies of the year. Deserves our support. Just go buy it :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Buy two! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While you're all throwing down your Blu-ray orders (and I will be too, finally getting to see what all this fuss is about), order your copies of Safety Not Guaranteed, Holy Motors, This is Not a Film, About Elly, Margaret, Himizu etc... too: all superb films whose miserable box office takings make Dredds eight figure gross look like a rip-roaring success.

It's nice to see so many trying to actively support an underdog production. But don't let it end with Dredd - there's always a healthy selection of films deserving grassroots support like that.

Master of the Universe

johnny_ultimate - I'm not going to lie, this film ain't for you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

While you're all throwing down your Blu-ray orders (and I will be too, finally getting to see what all this fuss is about), order your copies of Safety Not Guaranteed, Holy Motors, This is Not a Film, About Elly, Margaret, Himizu etc... too: all superb films whose miserable box office takings make Dredds eight figure gross look like a rip-roaring success.

It's nice to see so many trying to actively support an underdog production. But don't let it end with Dredd - there's always a healthy selection of films deserving grassroots support like that.

But those are all very low budget productions. Dredd cost $45m, and as such was a much riskier proposition (though it took $36.5m, so should break-even after DVD/Blu-Ray sales, broadcasting rights, etc.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Even with DVD sales et al, I doubt there's a chance in hell of Dredd breaking even. Cinemas probably took half of that $36m. And then there's the marketing costs. The film would have needed to make 80 million at least to break even.

Marketing costs would have been included in the $36m, no? And don't many films nowadays double their takings through DVD and BluRay sales?

No, marketing costs are always separate and are never published. In some cases they cost more than the film itself. Even when the marketing seems non-existent or terrible, it's quite expensive. Studios make a healthy margin on DVD sales, enough that they may eventually claw back their money from Dredd, but not enough to justify a sequel.

EDIT:

According to Alex Garland the film would have needed to make 50 million box office in the US for a sequel to happen. It made $13 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

According to Alex Garland the film would have needed to make 50 million box office in the US for a sequel to happen. It made $13 million.

This is where I get confused and need to probably follow up with the magazine in question. Total film ran a breakdown of numbers back in May and it threw out a figure of $20 million in presale tickets for Dredd in the US. The opening box office was way off so someone got their research arse about tit.

One other point that should be made is that due to Dredd's R rating in the US, there is a pretty good chance that other movies box office take got a lift from teenagers paying for one movie and seeing this (Eastwood'a Trouble with the Curve being one such movie). Would this have made the gross up to $50 million, highly unlikely but it's something to ponder on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Could be worse,Christian Slater's new movie Playback took in less than 300 quid.:eek:

I've recommended Dredd to a load of people & laughed at a few of my mates who missed it at the cinema due to it not being "a couples movie".One in particular ends up being dragged along to see all kinds of shite by his missus but didn't see Dredd as "she wouldn't like it".

Yes,I will admit to obtaining it online recently but I also went to the cinema to see it.I applaud the director for keeping it as an R rated movie in the spirit of the comics.Megacity One is a violent place & violent things happen,that's what we wanted to see & we got it.
    I'm sick of having movies watered down to please guys in suits who crunch numbers & want to milk the tween audience.

Dredd deserves another movie but I fear it won't happen or if it does,we'll see a wishy washy pg13 version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Did this film remind anyone of The Raid? Enjoyed The Raid but enjoyed this considerably more. Such a pity when a film like this does so bad(no cinema in Kerry showed it), yet something so generic and bland as Contraband will take about 90 million.

Advertisement