Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kinski wrote: »
    But those are all very low budget productions. Dredd cost $45m, and as such was a much riskier proposition (though it took $36.5m, so should break-even after DVD/Blu-Ray sales, broadcasting rights, etc.)

Aye that is true, but in many ways Dredd was granted more of a fighting chance than most 'underdog' films are. It made it to the multiplexes (not all, but enough), which is certainly a luxury that is surprisingly rare treat for all non-studio output. Poor marketing and presentation choices scuppered its chances somewhat - responsible for one lost ticket from this viewer, anyway - but its resources did place it in a weird sort of niche between cult audiences and mainstream viewerships. Look like said niche is not enough to prop up a film of this scale.

Also, as much as we can blame marketing, the sad reality is that huge percentages of audiences just don't make an effort anymore to step outside their comfort zone. Multiplexes are increasingly reluctant to programme anything other than blockbusters or high-profile American releases - but in a horrible sort of way can you really blame them when there's going to be a lot of empty seats if they try otherwise? There's a lot of factors leading to the increasing uniformity in mainstream cinema, but audiences (and alas we seem to be talking a huge majority of the film-going public) with a phobia for anything 'difficult' or 'different' are a major symptom of the general corporate shenanigans afoot for decades now.

Dredd might be a victim - again, I wouldn't go as far as saying its the biggest victim as it least has a healthy budget, a relatively wide release, a cult franchise and the not insignificant asset of the English language - but its merely one victim of many. Yes, by all means if people want to purchase multiple copies go for it - they want to show their support for the movie, which is always nice (although I'd consider myself a devoted disciple of the 'be careful what you wish for' camp when it comes to sequels ;)). But that's merely one battle in a full-on war that few seem interested in fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Watched it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it, actually mightn't have watched it only for the glowing reviews on here. Urban was very commanding as Dredd and you definitely buy into the character. Some very nice set pieces and an interesting decision to base the film in 1 building considering the almost character like aura the city has in the comics, but it works definitely.

The music was also very good, used well in the different action scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Practically everyone I asked about this movie wouldn't go see it because it was in 3D and their rose-tinted glasses convinced them that it wouldn't be a patch on Stallone's version. I love Stallone movies but anything was going to be better than that steamer.

Brother was hesitant about seeing it because of 3D but he grew up with 2000AD comics, he ended up loving the film and found it did Dredd perfectly. I was even 50/50 myself because the marketing did nothing for me and I'm done with paying extra to see 3D films.

I count this film as one of the very, very few films that made 3D work right. I hope, for it and any future chances taken on R rated films, that it does well in the home market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Aye that is true, but in many ways Dredd was granted more of a fighting chance than most 'underdog' films are. It made it to the multiplexes (not all, but enough), which is certainly a luxury that is surprisingly rare treat for all non-studio output. Poor marketing and presentation choices scuppered its chances somewhat - responsible for one lost ticket from this viewer, anyway - but its resources did place it in a weird sort of niche between cult audiences and mainstream viewerships. Look like said niche is not enough to prop up a film of this scale.

Also, as much as we can blame marketing, the sad reality is that huge percentages of audiences just don't make an effort anymore to step outside their comfort zone. Multiplexes are increasingly reluctant to programme anything other than blockbusters or high-profile American releases - but in a horrible sort of way can you really blame them when there's going to be a lot of empty seats if they try otherwise? There's a lot of factors leading to the increasing uniformity in mainstream cinema, but audiences (and alas we seem to be talking a huge majority of the film-going public) with a phobia for anything 'difficult' or 'different' are a major symptom of the general corporate shenanigans afoot for decades now.

Dredd might be a victim - again, I wouldn't go as far as saying its the biggest victim as it least has a healthy budget, a relatively wide release, a cult franchise and the not insignificant asset of the English language - but its merely one victim of many. Yes, by all means if people want to purchase multiple copies go for it - they want to show their support for the movie, which is always nice (although I'd consider myself a devoted disciple of the 'be careful what you wish for' camp when it comes to sequels ;)). But that's merely one battle in a full-on war that few seem interested in fighting.

Good post but from my point of view the sequel point and the willing for most people to want a sequel is not solely based on having seen a good movie and wanting to see a sequel.
    For me and Im guessing a few more its based on the fact they made a good film with the budget they had but the world now deserves more.

I left the movie very happy with what they done but I was also very aware they only achieved so much due to the budget.

This movie doesnt deserve a sequel because it was good, It deserves a sequel because there is so much more to tell. Which for me is the best reason for a sequel.

While iv no idea whether you will or will not like this movie, I do think you will understand the reason for people wanting more when you have watched the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Watched it last night and kept thinking I would love to see this in 3D, anyway awesome film and comic book movie of the year IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Agreed, marketing was atrocious.

I remember cringing in the cinema when the trailer came on, they managed to take a whole load of lines that worked perfectly in the movie and made them sound like a series of hackneyed quips from B-rate action movies:

"Let's finish this!"

"Judgement time"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Wait until it comes out on DVD/blueray, its a good film and that is its strongest point, word of mouth and internet reviews will hopefully give it the boost it needs and hopefully it will go down the same routh as John Carpenters 'The Thing' and become a cult classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

My favourite film is The Fifth Element and Dredd is as close as any film has ever gotten to that. Great effort making the adaptation that fans and even non fans could enjoy.

Regards toning down the violence.....No!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

People are bickering too much on here. Totally mising the important questions .... such as who would you rather :pac:

olivia thirlby or Lena Headey :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

People are bickering too much on here. Totally mising the important questions .... such as who would you rather :pac:

olivia thirlby or Lena Headey :pac:

In terms of their Movie versions then def olivia thirlby.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So how did you celebrate your new year?

At the stroke of midnight I was on my second viewing
    with Ma-Ma being lifted through the window

I was banging on so much about the film the misses wanted to see it. She hates Stallone, and she was really reluctant to see this, even knowing it didn't have Stallone. She just felt it would be ****. But you could see within an hour she was entranced, and at points she was laughing (along with the film, not at)

At the end she did a slow head tilt and immediatly demanded why she was not brought to see that in the cinema, that it was incredible and she can't wait for the sequel.

Informed her of the situation with the low revenue generation, bit of a flop etc. etc. , and it would appear we are now on a small crusade to ensure the film gets a sequel, the start of which being
    Everyone in 2013 is getting Dredd on DVD or Bluray for a present, even if the same house ends up with ten copies, I need to see more!!!!

Also I never picked up first time around, and only coped it this time around. One of the most memorable parts of the films is obviously the Lawgiver, and in terms of the first film the infamous "Double Whammy". There was a pretty hilarious point watching where
    Dredd is behind the tiled wall calling for each type of alternative fire, and calls for a "Two way split". Misses immediately went " ow ****" and when the Lawgiver responded out of ammo she went "ow noes". Don't know why just shat myself laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

siblers wrote: »
    Did this film remind anyone of The Raid? Enjoyed The Raid but enjoyed this considerably more. Such a pity when a film like this does so bad(no cinema in Kerry showed it), yet something so generic and bland as Contraband will take about 90 million.

Really enjoyed the Raid. Im looking forward to seeing this, but the raid was a genre defying action movie, I cant imaging this will be as good.

It wasnt in the Carlow cinema either, and I didnt get a chance to see it in Dublin or a cinema further out. Need to wait now for the bluray :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Agreed, marketing was atrocious.

I remember cringing in the cinema when the trailer came on, they managed to take a whole load of lines that worked perfectly in the movie and made them sound like a series of hackneyed quips from B-rate action movies:

"Let's finish this!"

"Judgement time"

This is why I never went to see it. The trailers didn't do anything for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Zombienosh wrote: »
    This is why I never went to see it. The trailers didn't do anything for it.

Ditto. And regretting it now as I really liked it. Going to pick up the BluRay for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Slightly off topic but I'm surprised that so many people base their decisions on what films to watch on the trailer. I obviously know that that is the point of a trailer but I've been bitten too many times by trailers looking far better than the film turns out to be to pay much attention to them either way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I'm surprised that so many people base their decisions on what films to watch on the trailer. I obviously know that that is the point of a trailer but I've been bitten too many times by trailers looking far better than the film turns out to be to pay much attention to them either way.

Agreed, people's reaction to the film in this thread alone would have been enough to make me see the film regardless. Add into that the decent reviews it was getting everywhere and seeing it was a no brainer tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Beefy78 wrote: »

I think your perspective is skewed by the very fact you're posting here; afterall, a film forum is by and large going to have more savvy folks amongst its ranks, than the average crowd queuing at Cineworld. There's still a large chunk of punters who simply don't care that much about film that they pursue it; and most of their information would come from trailers, TV spots or whatever the Metro / Herald might scribble about it on release

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

TheDoc wrote: »
    There was a pretty hilarious point watching where
    Dredd is behind the tiled wall calling for each type of alternative fire, and calls for a "Two way split". Misses immediately went " ow ****" and when the Lawgiver responded out of ammo she went "ow noes". Don't know why just shat myself laughing.

That "two way split" referred to the fact that
    Dredd had just popped another of the 4 dirty judges, so the million credits now only had to be split two ways.

I thought it was an excellent movie, streets ahead of the Stallone version (I watched them back to back). The Stallone version wasn't bad, just not what I'd hoped (it seemed to borrow a lot from Bladerunner which is a good thing to have in your celluloid DNA).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think your perspective is skewed by the very fact you're posting here; afterall, a film forum is by and large going to have more savvy folks amongst its ranks, than the average crowd queuing at Cineworld. There's still a large chunk of punters who simply don't care that much about film that they pursue it; and most of their information would come from trailers, TV spots or whatever the Metro / Herald might scribble about it on release

True, but the people who I was replying to were also posting here.

Obviously trailers do work or else studios wouldn't use them so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I must be the only person who liked the trailer (bar the spoiler). Even for the uninitiated, it gave a good sense of the character and setting, and of the story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Really enjoyed the Raid. Im looking forward to seeing this, but the raid was a genre defying action movie, I cant imaging this will be as good.

No it wasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saw this the other night, really enjoyed it having been a big reader of 2000AD as a teenager. The Stallone version was complete muck, shat all over Dredd canon and was just another mindless action movie.

There were lots of little in-universe references from 2000AD and the movie to me really felt like they had accurately taken a standard Dredd storyline from the comic and turned it into a film. No stupid, "Dredd saves the entire world" superplots, just a simple everyday story which could have been a four or five-parter back in the day. You get the feeling that it was made by people who "get" Dredd, rather than a badly washed-down and clichéd film by people looking to make big bucks like the Stallone version.

I was a little disappointed initially that the city and the vehicles just looked like a big 21st century city, nothing futuristic about it, but even in the comics there is a lot of variance between the artists. Some are more realistic and gritty. Others can be more cartoonish. The uniforms tend to look roughly the same, but vary in size, so I really liked how the uniforms in the film conformed to canon as much as is practically possible without looking ridiculous.

I'm not sure what I thought of the ending
    Dredd's trademark is typically being uncompromising regardless of the circumstances; I would half expect Dredd to fail Anderson for losing her weapon, in spite of what she did after
    , but I don't think it was necessarily outside of canon, so I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I was lucky enough to see this in the cinema with friend of similar tastes.

Before I went in I hadn't seen the trailer or read up about it so actually knew nothing regarding the movies plot, just that it was similar to the "The Raid" which I had also seen around at the same time. I wasn't looking forward to seeing it in 3D either.

I ended up leaving the cinema with a big smile on my face, having just seen my movie of the year. Urban was excellent as Dredd and had some really great moments. Even the 3D effects were well done and really added to the Slow-Mo sections. In the showing I saw in Cork there was about 20 people at it and every single person there enjoyed it. There were quite a parts in the movie where Dredd does something followed by a one-liner and while I'm not sure it should be funny, we all ended up laughing at and just enjoying the film. First time I felt that way in cinema in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yakuza wrote: »
    That "two way split" referred to the fact that
    Dredd had just popped another of the 4 dirty judges, so the million credits now only had to be split two ways.

I thought it was an excellent movie, streets ahead of the Stallone version (I watched them back to back). The Stallone version wasn't bad, just not what I'd hoped (it seemed to borrow a lot from Bladerunner which is a good thing to have in your celluloid DNA).

Really?

I had another quick look and
    He looks to be just cycling through the alternative firing modes, he calls Two way split, and it makes the "empty" noise, until he hits a mode with ammo, that blows the second last judges head off. I dont think its in reference to the money.

I was lucky enough to see this in the cinema with friend of similar tastes.

Before I went in I hadn't seen the trailer or read up about it so actually knew nothing regarding the movies plot, just that it was similar to the "The Raid" which I had also seen around at the same time. I wasn't looking forward to seeing it in 3D either.

I ended up leaving the cinema with a big smile on my face, having just seen my movie of the year. Urban was excellent as Dredd and had some really great moments. Even the 3D effects were well done and really added to the Slow-Mo sections. In the showing I saw in Cork there was about 20 people at it and every single person there enjoyed it. There were quite a parts in the movie where Dredd does something followed by a one-liner and while I'm not sure it should be funny, we all ended up laughing at and just enjoying the film. First time I felt that way in cinema in ages!

We where the same and its not that they where cheesy one liners like in an Arnie movie of old. Its that they where just cool kick ass things to say at the time. The one where
    Dredd references Anderson not having her helmet
    seemed to get the biggest laugh in our cinema

Also I knew this film had me from the first chase scene
    when asked Does he need back up, Dredd simply says NO and speeds the bike up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Really?

He looks to be just cycling through the alternative firing modes, he calls Two way split, and it makes the "empty" noise, until he hits a mode with ammo, that blows the second last judges head off. I dont think its in reference to the money.

I think Yakuza is correct.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The gun has a maximum range of up to three miles and has six distinct settings

Standard execution - A standard bullet, with identical effects to normal kinetic energy projectile weapons.
    Heat Seeker or Hot Shot - A standard bullet propelled by the unstable element, 'Argon 886'. Heatseeker rounds lock onto the target's heat source, enabling the Judge to target fleeing perps, accurately fire in low-light situations and so forth.
    Ricochet - A metal bullet coated with rubber. Ricochet rounds can bounce off solid surfaces while retaining enough kinetic energy to penetrate flesh. This enables the Judge to, for example, kill a perp that is using a human shield, bouncing their shot off a back wall and hitting the target from behind.
    Incendiary - Capable of setting its target on fire. Less widely used due to practicalities of incinerating targets in built-up city areas, although useful against unconventional adversaries such as Judge Death.
    Armour Piercing - Armour piercing rounds are extremely dense and contain a more powerful charge for higher muzzle velocity. Useful against cybernetic criminals and armoured opponents. When used against human targets, it can travel through multiple targets.
    High-Explosive (Hi-Ex) - A round containing an amount of extremely concentrated high explosive. Judges must employ caution when using this extremely dangerous round; the blast caused by the exploding bullets can just as easily harm those firing as well as the target. Generally used rarely; against crowding attackers or large/dangerous foes.

In the 2012 movie Dredd, a revised version of the Lawgiver II demonstrated seven types of ammunition, which again were voice activated : RAPID (Rapid fire), FMJ (Full Metal Jacket), AP (Armour Piercing), INC (Incendiary), HI-EX (High Explosive) Hotshot, and Stun. Alike the comic, if an individual other than a judge picked up the gun, it self-destructed, incapacitating the wielder.

We where the same and its not that they where cheesy one liners like in an Arnie movie of old. Its that they where just cool kick ass things to say at the time. The one where
    Dredd references Anderson not having her helmet
    seemed to get the biggest laugh in our cinema

Spot on. Very similar to where I saw it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Really?

Dredd doesn't know
    the female judge is dead, so as far as he's concerned, once he took out
    Alvarez (the Judge who had the shotgun) with the hi-ex, there were two judges
    left (from his perspective).

He started by asking
    them what the price of a judge was, "a million, split 4 ways" was what Lex said
    back to him, to which he replied "3 ways now", so when he took out Alvarez there
    were only 2 left, hence "two-way split"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Wow. Just watched this now and I loved it.

The Box Office profit is only 30 million dollars on the 50 million cost, but I think it will make a profit by next year. Hope so anyway.
    By the way www.boxofficemojo.com is very good for film costs and profits.

I was a 2000A.D. fan back in the day and I didn't really like Dredd to tell the truth. It was good when he was more human like in "the cursed earth" and less like Robocop, or when they got a really good artist to work on the stories, but generally it was just same story with the same artists doing it each week. Rogue Trooper and ABC Warriors and Halo Jones were my highlights of 2000A.D.
    (A friend of mine met Simon Bisley, one of their best graphic artists, got his autograph and had a tattoo made of it.)

The 1995 Dredd movie with Stallone is hated by everyone but was a lot closer to "Judge Dredd" canon than the new movie, in my opinion anyway.

The new movie is great though, very different take on the Judge-executioner thing. I loved how Anderson knew it was wrong killing, but necessary.

TheUsual wrote: »
    Wow. Just watched this now and I loved it.

The Box Office profit is only 30 million dollars on the 50 million cost, but I think it will make a profit by next year. Hope so anyway.
    By the way www.boxofficemojo.com is very good for film costs and profits.

I was a 2000A.D. fan back in the day and I didn't really like Dredd to tell the truth. It was good when he was more human like in "the cursed earth" and less like Robocop, or when they got a really good artist to work on the stories, but generally it was just same story with the same artists doing it each week. Rogue Trooper and ABC Warriors and Halo Jones were my highlights of 2000A.D.
    (A friend of mine met Simon Bisley, one of their best graphic artists, got his autograph and had a tattoo made of it.)

The 1995 Dredd movie with Stallone is hated by everyone but was a lot closer to "Judge Dredd" canon than the new movie, in my opinion anyway.

The new movie is great though, very different take on the Judge-executioner thing. I loved how Anderson knew it was wrong killing, but necessary.

The site is good but it seems they are very slow to update. Dredd has made around the 36+ million mark with it still to open in japan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

seamus wrote: »

I'm not sure what I thought of the ending
    Dredd's trademark is typically being uncompromising regardless of the circumstances; I would half expect Dredd to fail Anderson for losing her weapon, in spite of what she did after
    , but I don't think it was necessarily outside of canon, so I'm happy with that.
    In fairness, as a fan of the comic book, I absolutely knew 100% that Anderson was going to pass.

That was my only gripe with the entire film and in truth I didn't even care.

Advertisement