Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

My only gripe, which I have just been reminded of now, is that I am unable to watch this movie with my brother as he starts chuckling every 5 minutes and quotes Dark Place:

Youtube isn't playing ball, skip to 1:17.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    My only gripe, which I have just been reminded of now, is that I am unable to watch this movie with my brother as he starts chuckling every 5 minutes and quotes Dark Place:

Youtube isn't playing ball, skip to 1:17.

I take it Zack Snyder movies are a no no too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

karma_ wrote: »
    In fairness, as a fan of the comic book, I absolutely knew 100% that Anderson was going to pass.

That was my only gripe with the entire film and in truth I didn't even care.

I don't think that you needed to have read the comic books to know that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Having missed the original theatrical release due to being on holiday abroad (it only got a very short release as far as I could see, even in London) I finally got a chance to see Dredd recently in a triple-bill with Robocop and The Raid. Despite my reservations of being straight after The Raid (which I loved), it worked really well. I had great fun with it and will be picking up the DVD once it's released.

I'd really like to see sequels to this if they make enough money, but I suspect it'll have to do really well on home media to justify them. I'd gotten myself confused and thought that the production budget was less than £10M but with costs of $45M and an R rating, it's non-trivial to be profitable :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had an Xtra-vision voucher from christmas and we finally got a TV that makes Blu-ray worthwhile so I used it on this today (and the Alien anthology for 20 quid on BR too, what a steal!).

Looking forward to giving it another look over the weekend in glorious 2D HD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have it beside me to watch tonight.

Y'all better not have been lying about how good it is :shakesfist: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ooh, it's out? I'll get it tomorrow so!

Hope you enjoy it man. The pressure is on! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Picked it up today as well. Looking forward to watching it later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No pressure! :P

• Advertisement

Was going to pick it up today but grabbed a few things in the HMV 25% off sale. Will grab it tomorrow or on Monday as I have a voucher. Will be interesting to watch it in 2D and then when I head home next try out the 3D on the new TV at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You can Judge all of us if you don't like it.:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I found it quite disappointing tbh. Headey is superb and Urban has one really bad ass moment at the end, but otherwise this is just a poor man's The Raid. I thought the action was fairly weak and repetitive. The slo-mo 3D sequences were long and pointless and obviously just there to pad out the running time. I understand now why the film was 3D-only: those sequences really don't work well in 2D.

I know Dredd is just a low budget action film, but I was expecting a bit more. While I'm not really familiar with the comics, I read "America" when i was younger and thought it was excellent. Why couldn't they have done something along the lines of that? Even The Raid had more going on in terms of story than Dredd.

It's still pretty decent, I guess, but I'm glad i didn't break my 3D embargo for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Personally I think the Raid is totally over rated. Give me Ong Bak any day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All that hype for that? :(

Didn't care for it at all. Might have actually straight-up disliked it. Rather mindless and repetitive for the duration. No sense of tension, pace or excitement - just one hyperviolent, noisy and dull gunfight after another. Dreddfully (ho-ho pun!) written - I know the character is meant to be serious, but it just presents its ludicrous action without a hint of irony. I think that's probably what appealed to a lot of people, but I personally tend to like my action films to at least have a sense of humour about themselves given their inherent silliness (and I thought this was a pretty silly film). Grimace-inducing dialogue and it's been a long while since I've seen a script with such an embarrassing fondness for the word '****ing'. Pretty blandly directed. Wasn't fond of the slo-mo (bar the nice touch of jumping between slow speed and normal speed) and was glad when they got it over and done with early on barring its climactic reappearance.

Urban didn't have to do anything other than deliver lines in a monotone, so his performance is basically a whole heap of nothingness, although at least that's by design. The one point I did crack a smile was when he did an amusing little badass growl at an off-screen adversary. Lena Headey was decent if underused. Thrilby frowned her way through proceedings relatively gracefully. I would have liked to see Anderson's telepathy expanded upon, actually - the sequence in the prisoner's mind was an interesting idea that should have been built on, and hopefully with less of a fondness for sexual violence. Also have to single-out the soundtrack - hated it.

Don't think its going to linger in the mind for very long, TBH - its already a bit of an indistinct haze of bland corridors and general nastiness. Glad people liked it and are willing to support it, but most definitely not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Personally I think the Raid is totally over rated. Give me Ong Bak any day.

Ong Bak doesn't hold up on repeat viewings at all for me. After the awesomeness of the first viewing, it just feels like a load of stunts. Cool as fuck stunts. But a bit boring to rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Didn't care for it at all. Might have actually straight-up disliked it. Rather mindless and repetitive for the duration. No sense of tension, pace or excitement - just one hyperviolent, noisy and dull gunfight after another. Dreddfully (ho-ho pun!) written - I know the character is meant to be serious, but it just presents its ludicrous action without a hint of irony. I think that's probably what appealed to a lot of people, but I personally tend to like my action films to at least have a sense of humour about themselves given their inherent silliness (and I thought this was a pretty silly film). Grimace-inducing dialogue and it's been a long while since I've seen a script with such an embarrassing fondness for the word '****ing'. Pretty blandly directed. Wasn't fond of the slo-mo (bar the nice touch of jumping between slow speed and normal speed) and was glad when they got it over and done with early on barring its climactic reappearance.

Urban didn't have to do anything other than deliver lines in a monotone, so his performance is basically a whole heap of nothingness, although at least that's by design. The one point I did crack a smile was when he did an amusing little badass growl at an off-screen adversary. Lena Headey was decent if underused. Thrilby frowned her way through proceedings relatively gracefully. I would have liked to see Anderson's telepathy expanded upon, actually - the sequence in the prisoner's mind was an interesting idea that should have been built on, and hopefully with less of a fondness for sexual violence. Also have to single-out the soundtrack - hated it.

Don't think its going to linger in the mind for very long, TBH - its already a bit of an indistinct haze of bland corridors and general nastiness. Glad people liked it and are willing to support it, but most definitely not for me.

Im not surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For such a low budget they did a good job.There's so much material in the Dredd universe to work with but nobody was going to lash 100 - 200 million on a budget for a movie aimed at an over 18's market.Pity,I'd love to see the movie encapsulate more of Mega City 1 with it's many characters.

A Judge Death storyline would be nice or expanding the single block setting into the many Block Wars that took place.

For anyone that's watched the movie without reading any of the comics,do yourselves a favour & read a few,plenty available online.You'll get a better understanding of the nasty,violent world that Dredd polices.

Im not surprised

Might be hard to believe, but I was rather looking forward to watching it for the last few weeks. And I would agree with two points: a) that every cent is on-screen, for better and worse and b) I see why people want a sequel. I don't think its too much of a stretch to say the events of this film could have been a brisk prologue in a bigger, more elaborate production.

I stand by my opinion that the film left a very sour taste, but I can certainly see where others are coming from.

Oh, and forgot to mention in my first post: while I understand that such a concept is keeping with the purposeful uniformity of the Dredd world, I don't think having three identikit judges facing off against each other made for an interesting cinematic action scene. Some things alas just don't translate to screen.

Might be hard to believe, but I was rather looking forward to watching it for the last few weeks. And I would agree with two points: a) that every cent is on-screen, for better and worse and b) I see why people want a sequel. I don't think its too much of a stretch to say the events of this film could have been a brisk prologue in a bigger, more elaborate production.

I stand by my opinion that the film left a very sour taste, but I can certainly see where others are coming from.

Oh, and forgot to mention in my first post: while I understand that such a concept is keeping with the purposeful uniformity of the Dredd world, I don't think having three identikit judges facing off against each other made for an interesting cinematic action scene. Some things alas just don't translate to screen.

You should have seen it in 3d ;)

While the movie isnt perfect (none are) For me it was the best movie they could have made considering what they had to work with. They introduced you to Dredd and thats basically what the movie does. I guess its why so many (me included) want a sequel. I love the movie but I left wanting more because I could see that there is so much more to be explored.

• Advertisement

I kind of wish people would stop throwing the term "low budget" around.

Dredd was filmed on a modest budget of $45 million which it certainly made the best use of.

Predators had a $40 million budget, I don't recall anyone calling it a low budget predator sequel.

I suppose some more 2000AD dark humor would have been welcome in the script, but there were little nods here and there. The bum "offering to debase himself for credits" and the mall intercom announcing that it will reopen in 30 minutes while the sweeper cleans up the scene of a bloody rampage.

I agree it could have been scripted better, Ma-ma was certainly an underwhelming antagonist but as an introduction to the universe of Dredd it was top drawer and to be fair, it had a lot of work to erase the memory of Stallone's Dredd from the movie-going public which I hope people take into account.

Bit of a disservice to Urban to say he only had to gruffly speak his lines, certainly a cynical appraisal of an actor who is willing to shield his face for an entire movie. As I recall, this was one of the deal-breakers of the 1995 version.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I kind of wish people would stop throwing the term "low budget" around.

Dredd was filmed on a modest budget of $45 million which it certainly made the best use of.

Predators had a $40 million budget, I don't recall anyone calling it a low budget predator sequel.

I suppose some more 2000AD dark humor would have been welcome in the script, but there were little nods here and there. The bum "offering to debase himself for credits" and the mall intercom announcing that it will reopen in 30 minutes while the sweeper cleans up the scene of a bloody rampage.

I agree it could have been scripted better, Ma-ma was certainly an underwhelming antagonist but as an introduction to the universe of Dredd it was top drawer and to be fair, it had a lot of work to erase the memory of Stallone's Dredd from the movie-going public which I hope people take into account.

Bit of a disservice to Urban to say he only had to gruffly speak his lines, certainly a cynical appraisal of an actor who is willing to shield his face for an entire movie. As I recall, this was one of the deal-breakers of the 1995 version.

I dont think anybody would agree that it was low budget movie but definitely lower than most summer blockbusters and by quite a bit.

I also dont think you can really compare the budgets of movies from 25 years ago with a movie today. Id imagine a 40 million budget stretched a bit further and would be considered a much higher budget than the same amount today.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I dont think anybody would agree that it was low budget movie but definitely lower than most summer blockbusters and by quite a bit.

I also dont think you can really compare the budgets of movies from 25 years ago with a movie today. Id imagine a 40 million budget stretched a bit further and would be considered a much higher budget than the same amount today.

Hes talking about Predators

Chinpool wrote: »
    Hes talking about Predators

Ah sorry. My apologies Dirk

It was certainly not a blockbuster and I suppose "low budget" might be fairly subjective, but to me, in 2013, a low budget movie would be less than 15 million, give or take a few dollars.

And to be clear, the present value of $15,000,000 in 1985 (when the budget would have been set I guess) is only about $30,000,000. So still less than Dredd.

But apology accepted :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I think you're being a bit unfair about some of the humour present in the film - there are a few lovely instances of black humour (
    the mall announcement about re-opening in 30 minutes playing while the cleanup crew rush around picking up bodies, the bum getting crushed by the War Mode doors, and some of the slo-mo sequences eg the extended depiction of Ma-ma's head being crushed as she hits the floor after falling 200 stories, with the lush slo-mo music still playing
    ). Having seen it in a triple bill with Robocop and The Raid, the entire audience I was watching with also found Dredd's "You have 20 seconds to comply" very funny since it came off as a callback to the infamous ED209 scene :) I'd agree that it wouldn't have hurt to have a bit more pep in the dialogue, but that gets tricky given the characters involved.

Similarly, I think it's unfair to complain about Urban's portrayal of Dredd when what he put on screen is exactly what the character is about. Dredd is arguably a poor character around which to hang a feature film, but Urban's portrayal of him was good.

I saw it in 2D as well and I agree that the colourful slo-mo visuals get tiresome quickly without 3D (though I suspect I'd also have found them tiresome in 3D -they're a nice idea, but I felt they were overused). I think a more compelling antagonist would have helped offset the relative lack of Dredd's personality.

I do wonder if home viewing vs theatrical viewing is a key factor here - I suspect Dredd is a film that will suffer if it's seen for the first time on a small screen at home rather than in a cinema with a crowd of likeminded enthusiasts. Certainly I remember having a great time watching the Raid at the cinema for the first time, and much as I'm happy to own it on DVD I can't imagine a first viewing on my TV at home having quite the same impact.

Fysh wrote: »
    I think you're being a bit unfair about some of the humour present in the film - there are a few lovely instances of black humour (
    the mall announcement about re-opening in 30 minutes playing while the cleanup crew rush around picking up bodies, the bum getting crushed by the War Mode doors, and some of the slo-mo sequences eg the extended depiction of Ma-ma's head being crushed as she hits the floor after falling 200 stories, with the lush slo-mo music still playing
    ). Having seen it in a triple bill with Robocop and The Raid, the entire audience I was watching with also found Dredd's "You have 20 seconds to comply" very funny since it came off as a callback to the infamous ED209 scene :) I'd agree that it wouldn't have hurt to have a bit more pep in the dialogue, but that gets tricky given the characters involved.

Well as we all know humour is as subjective as it gets, so I'm not going to argue with you there. To me the one-liners didn't work, and that's both due to the script and delivery. Although oddly enough I thought the first two examples you cited were much more effective at emphasising the whole "****, this really is a nasty Megacity" angle rather than a guilty chuckle. I don't consider myself squeamish by any stretch, and many of my favourite comedies are black as can be, but I thought there was a nasty, relentless undercurrent to the violence and tone here that overwrote the attempts at comedy (e.g. your third example). The film as a whole had a non-ironic fixation with glorified extreme blood and gore that I must admit left me uneasy at times, bored at others. That's undoubtedly just me though, and yeah there are a few instances where I see the stabs at dark humour - I just didn't find them funny. And I can't do anything more than to attempt to articulate my own reaction to the film, and I don't think there's anything more difficult than trying to explain why a film's humour did or didn't work.
    Similarly, I think it's unfair to complain about Urban's portrayal of Dredd when what he put on screen is exactly what the character is about. Dredd is arguably a poor character around which to hang a feature film, but Urban's portrayal of him was good.

Yeah, perhaps I have an issue more with the character than Urban. I definitely didn't think Dredd came across as a compelling or even remotely interesting on-screen action hero. What Urban had to work with was minimal to say the least, and I don't think any basically competent actor who understood the character would do a better or worse job behind the mask (for the record, I don't consider Stallone a competent actor ;)). Urban may try his darndest with a militantly one-note character, but it is unavoidably a resolutely one-note performance, and that to me is impossible to like or dislike. It's just sort of there, hence my initial remark that it's basically nothing at all. What appeals to fans about the character simply doesn't resonate with me, I suppose. Although I do admit I'm curious to seek out some of the more beloved comic stories and see what my reaction to the classic on-page portrayal of the character is.
    I do wonder if home viewing vs theatrical viewing is a key factor here - I suspect Dredd is a film that will suffer if it's seen for the first time on a small screen at home rather than in a cinema with a crowd of likeminded enthusiasts. Certainly I remember having a great time watching the Raid at the cinema for the first time, and much as I'm happy to own it on DVD I can't imagine a first viewing on my TV at home having quite the same impact.

Yeah, my first viewing of The Raid was influenced massively by a audience hysteria. But I can also easily identify why The Raid is a well put together action film - the fights have a flow, energy and pace to them that is down to elegant direction (as far as people beating the **** out of each other can be considered elegant) and its extremely physical, go-for-broke performers & choreography. Similarly, I can say Die Hard is a great action film because of McClain's increasing sense of desperation / exhaustion, a fascinating antagonist and an escalating series of intense setpieces (plus, of course, a bitchin' script). Dredd's paceless action, meanwhile, just all blurred into an indistinct mess of nasty, repetitive gunfights, ridiculous caricatures and lame dialogue.

So yes: not denying the possibility I may have enjoyed it a good bit more with a giddy audience. Such an audience can make a bad film thoroughly enjoyable. Devoid of that, all Dredd had to offer me was, IMO, a pretty bad film.

I am taking the opportunity this weekend to catch up with three genre films that seemed to get decent word-of-mouth around here. I wasn't fond of Dredd, as you can probably tell ;). Thought Grabbers was a whole heap of silly fun. John Carter tomorrow, although not holding out all that much hope for that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Mate of mine called into HMV Saturday around 11:45 and the 50 copies of he Dredd Blu Rays were sold out. It's a pity the movie didn't grt as much love at the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Mate of mine called into HMV Saturday around 11:45 and the 50 copies of he Dredd Blu Rays were sold out. It's a pity the movie didn't grt as much love at the cinema.

Garland mentioned something at some stage about the possibility of exploring other options like a TV series if the movie wasn't a hit in cinemas. Hopefully if the discs sell well it might open up some possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Between yesterday evening & today I've been to 2 xtravisions, 2 tescos & HMV. Not a single copy in Bluray. All sold out

Advertisement