Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I am taking the opportunity this weekend to catch up with three genre films that seemed to get decent word-of-mouth around here. I wasn't fond of Dredd, as you can probably tell ;). Thought Grabbers was a whole heap of silly fun. John Carter tomorrow, although not holding out all that much hope for that one!

I can't see you likeing John carter at all. I quite enjoyed it, for quite similar reasons to why enjoyed Dredd. Both films are throwbacks, but they're most certainly throwbacks to types of films I don't think you have much time for in the first place :D

I must get on to watching Grabbers.

Glad to hear the Dredd Blu-Ray seems to be selling well at any rate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thread reminded me to pick it up on blu-ray (finally bought my first player after the trusty DVD player packed in) can't say I see the point of the new format for all releases, but Dredd seems like something appropriate for sure.
    Am amazed there seems to be such a demand for the home release though, could it yet be a sleeper hit?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Thread reminded me to pick it up on blu-ray (finally bought my first player after the trusty DVD player packed in) can't say I see the point of the new format for all releases, but Dredd seems like something appropriate for sure.

It's the very first Blu-Ray I've ever bought (along with the Alien Anthology, which I bought at the same time).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Ill be picking mine up soon. I think a few family members and friends will be getting it from me as a present too.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know is there any websites that do DVD sales charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its a bit baffling that its doing so well on home release but tanked at the cinema, was it the 3D that put people off? seemed to be a major lack of 2D showings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

krudler wrote: »
    its a bit baffling that its doing so well on home release but tanked at the cinema, was it the 3D that put people off? seemed to be a major lack of 2D showings.

Poor marketing campaign, poor trailer, and having 3D in the title would make one assume it was just another gimmicky 3d movie, I would think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

krudler wrote: »

Poor marketing on release, but the success with the home release makes sense: it gained generally good praise from the press, those who did see it (mostly) sang from the heavens; so come the home release it makes sense those who missed it first time around would see what all the fuss was about, for better or for worse.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's the very first Blu-Ray I've ever bought (along with the Alien Anthology, which I bought at the same time).

Ha, ok that's kinda freaky; I also threw in the Alien boxset when picking it up (though also with Drive & Moon). Uhhh... get outta my head damnit :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Picked it up on DVD today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are any number of factors that could help explain its success on home formats. Its 18s rating might be one - there are a lot of audiences who simply can't or won't go to see bloody, restrictively-rated action films in the cinema. Parents with younger kids, those who don't think Dredd is the ideal date movie etc... And, with perhaps unfounded optimism, I would suggest it might also be a result of 3D distribution. Perhaps there really are significant amounts of viewers out there who won't go to see films in the third-dimension and are happy to wait it out. Added to those factors is the not insignificant cult audience it picked up on release and those who just don't go to the cinema anyway and you have a relatively decent number of consumers willing to splash out. As always, a Friday release date is a smart one for impulse buys... Of all the 'genres' of films, 18s rated action is perhaps the best equipped to be a DVD / Blu-Ray success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I know down Cork way it wasn't in all cinemas (Not Mahon afaik, which alone must be a big chunk) so I guess that cost it a fair chunk. I hope there is another cinema release on the strength of Disc sales, although a solid TV series would be good, I think megacity one needs a good special effects budget to bring it to life properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

finally got around to watching this, It was good..... and that's it really. After reading some of the comments here I thought it would be impressive, but it was just good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I hate 3D films, don't want to pay for them as the 3D fad will be gone in a year. It's only there to stop pirates videoing the film in a cinema and then uploading it.

Films can make serious money now on DVD sales and also a sluggish USA release can really pick up speed with sales in Europe and Asia. Kind of unpredictable what makes a block-buster these days.
    The film won't make 200 million but I can see it making 100 million, which might prompt another one or a TV series.

I couldn't find a copy of this anywhere in cork city today.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

HMV Grafton St and Tower Records didnt have it on blu ray today either did 2 Xtravisions (but they had it to rent)..

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Director Pete Travis is hopeful for a sequel but doesnt think he will direct the next one

http://www.movieweb.com/news/exclusive-pete-travis-not-directing-dredd-2-the-director-remains-hopeful-for-a-sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think it'd work quite well as an hour long tv show actually. If the DVD sales are good they may see a market for it too. Wont have as excessive a marketing cost and the budget might stretch further.

I think that the budget for this may have been substantially more than the 50 million figure being thrown around. From what I've read it seems that the production budget was 45-55 million but I'm not sure that, that figure includes marketing. There's a misconception that Dredd was dumped into theaters with little marketing but it did in fact have a pretty substantial marketing campaign with trailers playing on every channel and a number of posters adorning bus stops and the sides of buses. I would not be surprised to find that the total budget for Dredd was in the mid 60s to 70s range.

Considering the initial success of the DVD and Blu release a sequel is pretty much inevitable but it will most likely be a much lower, direct to disc release with Luke Goss taking over for Urban. The Dredd franchise is exactly the type of genre fare that studios love as much like the Death Race sequels and the upcoming Fright Night 2, they can be made for relatively little money and are pretty much guaranteed to turn a profit so don't be surprised to see a Roel Reiné directed Dredd sequel showing up in two or so years direc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Considering the initial success of the DVD and Blu release a sequel is pretty much inevitable but it will most likely be a much lower, direct to disc release with Luke Goss taking over for Urban. The Dredd franchise is exactly the type of genre fare that studios love as much like the Death Race sequels and the upcoming Fright Night 2, they can be made for relatively little money and are pretty much guaranteed to turn a profit so don't be surprised to see a Roel Reiné directed Dredd sequel showing up in two or so years

You're speculating wildly there, but f*** that, I'd rather they let it lie than go down that route.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Kinski wrote: »
    You're speculating wildly there, but f*** that, I'd rather they let it lie than go down that route.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't particularly want to see a sequel from a substantially different creative team (ie I'd quite like Garland involved again, I'd like to see the same stunt & effects teams involved, I'd prefer any recurring characters to be played by the same cast).

I wouldn't hold out hope of a Dredd TV series being anything but arse, tbh; look at what happened with Robocop - they went from an 18-rated gory, black-humoured action film to a bloodless pg-rated load of nonsense on TV. Even Prime Directives was pretty dire, and that was AFAIK the best of the TV material.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Fysh wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold out hope of a Dredd TV series being anything but arse, tbh; look at what happened with Robocop - they went from an 18-rated gory, black-humoured action film to a bloodless pg-rated load of nonsense on TV. Even Prime Directives was pretty dire, and that was AFAIK the best of the TV material.

Ah no, not like Robocop.

I know I'm being unrealistically optimistic here, but when you look at how far TV has come since the mid-90s, I'd have high hopes for an HBO Dredd TV series.

Rome, Game of Thrones, Homeland, etc. there are plenty of TV shows with high production values and quality casts that really engage audiences regardless of setting. And they are fairly relentless in their brutality too, which is what a Dredd series would need.

And much like Game of Thrones, Dredd already has many of the stories in place. Robocop never had any of that, it took a classic 80s movie and made it into a weekly cop show in a plastic suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

HMV in the Square and Xtravision Tallaght sold out on BR

Not so much speculation as pointing out the obvious. Chances of a big budget Dredd sequel are slim to nonexistent. As much as we enjoyed the film it simply does not make sense for any studio to throw tens of millions at a sequel. Its far too risky when the financial return is so small. Going down the direct to disc route as Universal has down with the Death Race franchise, the Scorpion Kings, the Marine series, the Wolfman sequel and the upcoming 12 Rounds 2 is the only way anyone is going to get behind Dredd 2. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sure the budget would br in the 7-10 mill range and Urban wouldn't be back but in the right hands it could be a relatively diverting and fun 90 or so minutes. If the original creative team were not to return id like to see John Hyams take over as he has impressed with his two Universal Soldier sequels and can stage an action sequence better then most and a tenth the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm most definitely inclined to agree with John Hyams, Universal Soldier Regeneration had some excellent action scenes, there's one in particular which has Jean Claude taking down a house full of hostiles in a single sweeping take that hugely impressed me. Have yet to see Day of Reckoning but have heard nothing but good things about it - think the budget for Regeneration was about 6-7m; wouldn't be a stretch to say it's better than the original and any of its shoddy sequels. DTV titles don't always inspire confidence, but they can, and have been, done right before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Not so much speculation as pointing out the obvious. Chances of a big budget Dredd sequel are slim to nonexistent.

That's true, of course, but it's far from inevitable that Dredd will get a low-budget direct-to-disc s***quel. I don't think that's what Garland would be interested in doing, especially not with that guy from Bros donning the helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Personally Id rather no sequel at all than a direct to dvd sequel.
    If they cant improve or at least maintain the budget from first one then i wouldnt be hoping for a sequel at all.
    Better off with just the one Dredd movie or just focus on a gritty tv show like mentioned above.

Of course I do understand why they would go the cheap option, I just hope they dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually just watched Universal Soldier Degeneration, based on this discussion. It was incredibly good, and looked like a film of twice its means, with excellent cinematography. I would have zero problem with a Dredd film of this caliber; granted, universal soldier only has to portray a current world, but double the budget to a still worthwhile investment figure of about 15m, and I'm sold.

That's true, of course, but it's far from inevitable that Dredd will get a low-budget direct-to-disc s***quel. I don't think that's what Garland would be interested in doing, especially not with that guy from Bros donning the helmet.

Dredd is too big a potential money spinner for them to not continue with. The success of the DVD and Blu-Ray shows his much money and interest there is in R rated action films but sadly its not significant enough for a big budget feature. As tor Goss playing Dredd, that was just a jokey comment but I would have no problem with him in the role even if is way too wiry looking to be Dredd. Hes a damnable fine actor and while his quality control may be poor he can hold his own with the best of them and with a substantial role in one of the US networks major new shows his star will only grow.
    Personally Id rather no sequel at all than a direct to dvd sequel.
    If they cant improve or at least maintain the budget from first one then i wouldnt be hoping for a sequel at all.
    Better off with just the one Dredd movie or just focus on a gritty tv show like mentioned above.

Of course I do understand why they would go the cheap option, I just hope they dont.

Cheap doesn't necessarily translate to shoddy and cheap film making. Check out films such as Ninja, Undisputed 1-3, Death Race 2, Forced to fight, El Gringo, Stash House, The Agression Scale or any of John Hyams films to see what a talented film maker can do with a limited budget. Dredd doesn't need a massive budget, one would be nice but Dredd as a character has never been about spectacle and with a good script and a talented director I think that a Dredd film as good as the last could easily be made for 10-15 million.
    I actually just watched Universal Soldier Degeneration, based on this discussion. It was incredibly good, and looked like a film of twice its means, with excellent cinematography. I would have zero problem with a Dredd film of this caliber; granted, universal soldier only has to portray a current world, but double the budget to a still worthwhile investment figure of about 15m, and I'm sold.

It really is a lot of fun and a great example of what happens when you hire q talented director to direct what mort wrote off as another shoddy direct yo disc sequel that nobody wanted. Hell it was so successful, both critically and commercially that the sequel was shot in 3D and with a planned Theatrical run. Sadly the studio decided to distribute it as cheaply as possible so they threw it onto VOD and the released it yo disc with no fanfare. The film has gotten fantastic reviews and appeared on many beet of the year lists, more often than not higher than both Dreddand the Raid. The studio botched the release so badly that the VOD and DVD/Blu release only contains the cur R rated version and not the version Hyams shot and was repeatedly assured would be released. Ive spoke yo him about it and he is having difficulty in getting confirmation from the distributors around the world about what version they are releasing. We were supposed to get a version with the rated and unrated versions and the 3D all on one disc but now it appears that we are simply getting the rated version. Germany has both but they are seperate releases and amazon cannot confirm if you will get rated or unrated. The Australian release is unrated but there's been talk of issues with the 3D so for the time being were pretty much screwed when it comes to watching the film as it was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Cheap doesn't necessarily translate to shoddy and cheap film making. Check out films such as Ninja, Undisputed 1-3, Death Race 2, Forced to fight, El Gringo, Stash House, The Agression Scale or any of John Hyams films to see what a talented film maker can do with a limited budget. Dredd doesn't need a massive budget, one would be nice but Dredd as a character has never been about spectacle and with a good script and a talented director I think that a Dredd film as good as the last could easily be made for 10-15 million.

Iv seen Ninja and two of the Undisputed (cant remember which ones. 1 and 3 I think) and Iv enjoyed some of the lower budget movies out there. Most recent being the Revenant, which I enjoyed (a little too long though).
    I do feel that I enjoyed these movies from the point of not expecting much and being pleasantly surprised when they prove my pre-conceptions wrong.

I still stand by my original post though. I just dont want a Dredd movie at that level.

As I have said before in this thread. I love the Dredd movie but its not perfect and left me wanting more.
    The more Im looking for cant be explored in a lower budget straight to DVD production (imo of course). If they where to do it that way we would probably just get another Dredd in a building movie. I personally want an expansion on the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

A lot of the problem with Hollywood making this kind of film or TV series is that most of the world (outside Europe) hasn't seen 2000A.D. comics so it's a much easier thing to sell what people know.

Like I knew that The Watchmen comic books existed but had never read any of them before I saw the film, which was grand I thought, and more enjoyable as I wasn't a hardcore fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I still haven't managed to pick up a blu ray copy in a bricks and mortars.
    Online it is so, sign of the times.

Advertisement