Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

A-Trak wrote: »
    I still haven't managed to pick up a blu ray copy in a bricks and mortars.
    Online it is so, sign of the times.

Ended up getting mine in Dunnes on Monday. Was just the DVD but might be worth trying there, Tesco or Xtra-Vision if you haven't already tried those places.

With HMV gone the only way I can get this is online as the only other store in Galway that sells Blu-Ray is Xtravision but they want something like 26 euro for it whereas HMV had it for 18. Had hoped to watch it tomorrow night but I guess I'll be waiting a week or so, may be no bad thing as I can bring it back home and see how the 3D holds up on the small screen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I can't see you likeing John carter at all. I quite enjoyed it, for quite similar reasons to why enjoyed Dredd. Both films are throwbacks, but they're most certainly throwbacks to types of films I don't think you have much time for in the first place :D

I must get on to watching Grabbers.

Glad to hear the Dredd Blu-Ray seems to be selling well at any rate.

Many john carter was bad, I mean, my god! And I'll watch any aul ****e fantasy thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Are you crazy? Carter is great

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I really liked this dredd film. There was a lot about the city itself that I think didn't work but it doesn't spend much time out there so it was ok.

It seems ridiculous that they'd still be running combustion engines for a start. For a city that's supposed to be over crowded it didn't look like it. I'd expect people crammed in like in shanty towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Some better news for Dredd in the states

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dredd-buries-frankenweenie-home-video-413109

Its topping the charts on amazon too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tayleur wrote: »
    Some better news for Dredd in the states

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dredd-buries-frankenweenie-home-video-413109

Its topping the charts on amazon too

The fact it refers to the film as a 'reboot' of the Stallone version says a lot about how it was perceived Stateside

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Are you crazy? Carter is great

There's a reason it has the biggest loss of every film, ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

pixelburp wrote: »
    The fact it refers to the film as a 'reboot' of the Stallone version says a lot about how it was perceived Stateside

Yeah I know. I read on another american website that it was a remake (not even reboot) of the stallone film which would really put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

After reading the back of my TDKR blu-ray and seeing that their ultraviolet copies are not available in ROI, I have decided to give myself over to the Cupertino Massive and bought a HD copy on iTunes.

Would have liked a physical Blu Ray copy, but digital is becoming a lot handier around this house.

Slightly off-topic, I won't be buying any more WB Blu Rays unless they sort out a proper digital distribution system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    After reading the back of my TDKR blu-ray and seeing that their ultraviolet copies are not available in ROI, I have decided to give myself over to the Cupertino Massive and bought a HD copy on iTunes.

Would have liked a physical Blu Ray copy, but digital is becoming a lot handier around this house.

Slightly off-topic, I won't be buying any more WB Blu Rays unless they sort out a proper digital distribution system.

:confused: Dredd isn't distributed by WB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

al28283 wrote: »
    :confused: Dredd isn't distributed by WB.

"Slightly off-topic"...Otherwise I wouldn't have used that line. I'm referencing my Blu Ray Batman that was advertised with a digital copy which, thanks to the small print, I can't seem to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't know why they'd call it a reboot when it has nothing in common with Stallone's version at all. I can only assume they were hoping to cash in on Stallone's name. A star name means a lot in the States.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know why they'd call it a reboot when it has nothing in common with Stallone's version at all. I can only assume they were hoping to cash in on Stallone's name. A star name means a lot in the States.

Dredd as a character is bit exactly popular or well known in the states so then referring to it as a reboot may be down to them not being aware if the characters comic book history. Even if they were aware calling it a reboot is no different to any of the pieces over here on Nolan's Batman which referred to it as a reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Dredd as a character is bit exactly popular or well known in the states so then referring to it as a reboot may be down to them not being aware if the characters comic book history. Even if they were aware calling it a reboot is no different to any of the pieces over here on Nolan's Batman which referred to it as a reboot.

You're right about US unfamiliarity with Dredd, but the Nolan films really are pretty accurately described as reboots: it's the same studio that made the previous run of Batman films, hence, they "rebooted" the franchise.

Kinski wrote: »

You're right about US unfamiliarity with Dredd, but the Nolan films really are pretty accurately described as reboots: it's the same studio that made the previous run of Batman films, hence, they "rebooted" the franchise.

The Nolan films, like the new Dredd are adaptations. Reboot like remake is a word that has lost a lot of meaning through the manner in which its been applied to so many different projects. I remember reading one piece that used the term reboot when discussing the last Dickens adaptation. Much like the upcoming Statham film Parker is being called a remake of Point Blank and Payback by many when in fact it is based on one of the later books in the Parker series and not the Hunter upon which the earlier two films were based.

The Nolan films, like the new Dredd are adaptations. Reboot like remake is a word that has lost a lot of meaning through the manner in which its been applied to so many different projects. I remember reading one piece that used the term reboot when discussing the last Dickens adaptation. Much like the upcoming Statham film Parker is being called a remake of Point Blank and Payback by many when in fact it is based on one of the later books in the Parker series and not the Hunter upon which the earlier two films were based.

Well, calling those reboots or remakes is just silly. Each new Great Expectations or whatever is a fresh adaptation*, and Dredd is properly regarded as a fresh adaptation of the comic.

But I still think Batman Begins is a reboot. Warner put the franchise on ice after the fiasco that was Forever, recognising that their approach to the character needed to change. They ignored the previous films and allowed Nolan to start afresh. To me, that's a reboot.

*As an aside, Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings is a "fresh adaptation" that is arguably really a remake of the animated film, which was the director's first exposure to Tolkien's universe and an influence on his trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Let's get some more opinions on what the word 'reboot' means.

To put one's foot back into a boot.

It also refers to a solution which fixes 99% of computer problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

beetroot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reboot (riˈbut)

i. A word invented by film studio executives to a) have an excuse to bleed potentially profitable franchises dry and b) troll the Internet.

ii. A Canadian CGI-animated action-adventure cartoon series that originally aired from 1994 to 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

CEXmeCd.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ii. A Canadian CGI-animated action-adventure cartoon series that originally aired from 1994 to 2001.

I used to love that, not every kids show that has a whole episode based on Evil Dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,923 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was really looking forward to walking into HMV and picking up this Blueray. It would have been the first film I've bought in a high street shop in years.

What bad timing! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Dredd Sales and downloads look to have 650,000 in it's opening week :).

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=PR&Date=20130122&ID=16019857&industry=IND_MEDIA&isub

The really worrying part from the above article is this though:

"DREDD's chart topping performance demonstrates the breadth of the home entertainment audience for this exciting, high caliber film as well as underscoring our ability to monetize theatrical titles across all home entertainment platforms through the highest packaged, VOD and digital conversion rates in the industry," said Ron Schwartz, Lionsgate Executive Vice President & General Manager, Home Entertainment. "We're also pleased that a film released on 3-D Blu-ray was able to top the sales charts, a clear reflection of how quality films in this up and coming format can find their audience"

Jesus wept, the movie got crucified at the US box office (more than likely because of the 3D format amongst other things) and this arse clown is talking it up as being a USP for the Dredd home release??? I bought the Blu-Ray not for the 3D but purely because I wanted the 2D copy to play on my PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it only appears to be possible to buy Dredd in a 3D/2D combo pack?

So it's just a tiny bit idiotic to claim that this is an indication that people are loving 3D ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

seamus wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it only appears to be possible to buy Dredd in a 3D/2D combo pack?

So it's just a tiny bit idiotic to claim that this is an indication that people are loving 3D ?

Not exactly. The DVD version is 2D only.
    The bluray copy comes bundled with both 2D/3D versions.

So there's no way to buy a physical bluray copy without it being a "3D" sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

seamus wrote: »

The DVD format is 2D only. The Blu-ray is a 3D/2D combo pack. The claim that 3D is being embraced by the public sounds like total bs if you ask me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone else find the blu ray transfer a bit poor? Looks very grainy/pixelated to me. Quality looked bwtter in 3d though. Thought it might be my set up but watched Alien tonight and it looked great.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone else find the blu ray transfer a bit poor? Looks very grainy/pixelated to me. Quality looked bwtter in 3d though. Thought it might be my set up but watched Alien tonight and it looked great.

The 2D presentation is very poor in spots and reminds me a lot of the Awakening which managed to be at times one of the best looking discs I have ever seen and also the worst. The 3D is supposed to be very good but I've not tried it as if yet.

Advertisement