Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone else find the blu ray transfer a bit poor? Looks very grainy/pixelated to me. Quality looked bwtter in 3d though. Thought it might be my set up but watched Alien tonight and it looked great.

Same here. Grain evident in 2D but 3D was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm not a fan of having to wear an extra pair of glasses but when I watched it Dredd in 2D, the 3D-slow-mo parts feel quite laboured. It makes sense in 3D -they're spectacle moments with all the 3D bits- but just a bit odd, almost wrong in 2D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone else find the blu ray transfer a bit poor? Looks very grainy/pixelated to me. Quality looked bwtter in 3d though. Thought it might be my set up but watched Alien tonight and it looked great.

Looks fine to me, a bit grainy here and there but I don't think they were going for the ultra-clean transfer unlike The Avengers or something. Haven't watched the 3D yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of having to wear an extra pair of glasses but when I watched it Dredd in 2D, the 3D-slow-mo parts feel quite laboured. It makes sense in 3D -they're spectacle moments with all the 3D bits- but just a bit odd, almost wrong in 2D.

That's what I felt coming out of the cinema. I'm no 3D fan at all but this is one film where I felt a 3D viewing would be preferable to a 2D one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

jaykhunter wrote: »

Yeah, I noticed the same thing at the 2D screening I attended. Though to be fair, this was also the case with Avatar and I expect for Prometheus as well - the scenes may be visually lovely but if the full effect requires 3D and you're not watching in 3D, it's a bit wasted.

Short of extirpating the scenes for the 2D version or replacing them with alternative footage, I'm not sure what they could do to alleviate the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Fysh wrote: »
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing at the 2D screening I attended. Though to be fair, this was also the case with Avatar and I expect for Prometheus as well - the scenes may be visually lovely but if the full effect requires 3D and you're not watching in 3D, it's a bit wasted.

Short of extirpating the scenes for the 2D version or replacing them with alternative footage, I'm not sure what they could do to alleviate the problem.

Go back in time and kill the inventor of 3D as a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Go back in time and kill the inventor of 3D as a baby.

Amen brother.
    I just watched the film "Looper" so I know how to do this now.

All we need is a DeLorean and a copy of all the winning Lotto numbers for the last 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

phil1nj wrote: »
    The DVD format is 2D only. The Blu-ray is a 3D/2D combo pack. The claim that 3D is being embraced by the public sounds like total bs if you ask me.

3D is just a gimmick if you ask me, and it certainly isn't being embraced in my household.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

A bit off topic but im wondering is anyone else having sound issues with this on blu ray? Been looking forward to watching this for a while now but before I got a chance to get a copy HMV went bang so ordered online.

Arrives in the post this morning turn it on tonight picture is very grainy but the sound keeps skipping on it? Ive tried other blu rays to make sure its not my player and there all grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Nothing wrong with sound for me

• Advertisement

Yeh think its just a faulty disc I got :mad:.

But I gave in last night and watched it online, you could certainly tell it didn't have a big budget that's for sure but they certainly made the most of what they did have.

I enjoyed it for the most part thought Karl Urban was superb as the emtionless unflinching Dredd along with Anderson who made fora perfect sidekick. Also enjoyed seeing Wood Harris of The Wire fame in it and thought he gave a good performance. My only problem was Ma-Ma I dont think she came across psychotic enough for me.

What are the chances of a sequel? I believe in Blu Ray/Dvd sales its doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

It's still pretty decent, I guess, but I'm glad i didn't break my 3D embargo for it.

An embargo is pretty silly. The amount of ****e posted about 3d on here is amazing and usually uninformed. 3d is like any vfx, there are a lot of factors leading to a decent 3d movie. The director, the studio, the company converting the footage. It's just like CGI, for every Jurassic Park there are 10 Shark Attack 3's.

2012 has produced some great 3d efforts, Dredd and Frankenweenie both look amazing in 3d.

Support the good ones who are using it as an advantage and dodge the ones that are using it to cash in.

al28283 wrote: »
    An embargo is pretty silly. The amount of ****e posted about 3d on here is amazing and usually uninformed. 3d is like any vfx, there are a lot of factors leading to a decent 3d movie. The director, the studio, the company converting the footage. It's just like CGI, for every Jurassic Park there are 10 Shark Attack 3's.

2012 has produced some great 3d efforts, Dredd and Frankenweenie both look amazing in 3d.

Support the good ones who are using it as an advantage and dodge the ones that are using it to cash in.

I dont know about others but good or bad I just cant stand 3D think its pointless and a gimmick that serves no purpose Id much rather watch a film without in fact I wont watch a film with 3D anymore and really cant wait for this trend of it to die down.

I dont know about others but good or bad I just cant stand 3D think its pointless and a gimmick that serves no purpose Id much rather watch a film without in fact I wont watch a film with 3D anymore and really cant wait for this trend of it to die down.

Unfortunately for you the trend isn't going to die down. Kids have far superior eyes to adults and cans see the subtleties and effects in stereo images as well as the best stereographers, the kind of stuff you can't see as an adult without seeing a lot of 3d imagery. It's been around long enough now that they will always want it. It might go through a slight lull in the next few years(doubtful because of the money invested) but those kids will be adults soon and they will pretty much expect 3d movies. Seeing a 2d movie in a cinema will seem strange and outdated to them.

Kids have far superior eyes to adults

:rolleyes:

You actually doubt that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

3D is not like CGI. CGI doesn't shrink and darken the image. It doesn't cause strobing and eye strain. And I don't have to wear stupid glasses in order to see it. I've been to the so-called "good" 3D films. Avatar, Prometheus, Hugo and most recently Life of Pi. In each film there was a few moments where I went "Oh that's cool" before going back to wishing I didn't have to wear glasses and endure an inferior image.

You are actually the first person I've come across who seems passionate about 3D. Most people seem willing to endure it but have no strong feelings about it either way. The people I know just go to whatever screening suits, be it 2D or 3D. If 3D disappeared tomorrow they probably wouldn't even notice.

3D has really only been popular again since Avatar, which was only about 4 years ago. It experienced popularity surges in the '50s and '70s as well. There's no evidence to suggest it's here to stay. Kids love the novelity of it, yes - and many children's films may continue to be released in 3D - but they'll grow out of it. As will the film industry as a whole before long.

The hope of Cameron, Jackson et al is that 3D might be a stepping stone to a new, bigger, more immersive cinematic experience that will halt declining ticket sales. An admirable but difficult ambition that won't be achieved with 3D because the studios and theatres just see it as another money making racket that they'll run into the ground before the technology has a chance to evolve.

shrink and darken the image...cause strobing and eye strain.......an inferior image.

all these issues were addressed in the points I made... like I said- uninformered.

3d doesn't darken the image. maybe in 2003 if you were watching SpyKids3 or something similar you might experience a very slight shift, no more than a1 full f-stop, but it's a long time since thats been an issue. If you compare a 3d image you see in a cinema with a 2d image you will find they are they same as far as brightness is concerned.
    Some people feel the image is darker because the glasses make the actual cinema and surrounding environment darker, but not the image you see on the screen.

As for the strobing effect and eye strain, that comes down to the conversion process. If its done well with a decent stereographer you won't get any of that.

Inferior image... If you are used to seeing 3d imagery you will see a hell of a lot more in 3d than you will in 2d. Just as you will in everyday life. Of course if you enact an embargo on all 3d movies, your eyes are never going to adjust to seeing stereo imagery correctly. It takes time.

Like I said before, it all comes down to the individual film and the people behind it.

For example, The Avengers was definatley guilty of a lot of strobing and the Saw/Final Destination movies were equally guilty of Eye strain, but nobody is holding them up as a decent example of 3d. The worst criticism I've heard of Dredd is that it sisn't look as good in 2d as it did in 3d.
    Also, I think someone who doesn't watch 3D movies can't really give a decent and relevent opinion of 3d movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some people feel the image is darker because the glasses make the actual cinema and surrounding environment darker, but not the image you see on the screen.

I have made my view on 3D clear elsewhere in this thread, and don't want to drag the thread down that alley again. But just on this point it is fact not opinion that the polarised glasses cause light and colour loss. Take off a pair of 3d glasses during a film and you will see a completely different colour spectrum and brightness level on screen. Even the compensatory projection increase in brightness cannot counter the loss, especially since its increasingly likely cinema projectors are incorrectly or lazily calibrated. There's a reason why the best 3D productions - and really Avatar and Life of Pi are the only two examples I'd even partially praise - utilise vivid, bold colour palettes.
    Also, I think someone who doesn't watch 3D movies can't really give a decent and relevent opinion of 3d movies.

An unfair accusation. I know the Prof. has seen more than enough to make up his mind. I'm in a similar boat. There's only so many dozens of times one can give an optional technology a chance before they can justify an educated decision on their like / dislike of it.

Just back on the topic of Dredd, I watched the DVD on a good upscaler / TV and thought it was a pretty decent transfer. Certainly better quality than some of the lesser Blurays I've sat through. But it also seems like the type of film where a grainy, gritty presentation would relatively appropriate. Apart from the slo-mo scenes - which, 3d or not, I thought were extremely gimmicky - it's a film that would actually benefit from a purposefully gritty aesthetic. It suits the film's tone, and could also help mask some of the rougher edges (blockbuster level CGI alas can't be expected from films of this size). TBH, I often find modern effects-heavy films benefit the least from BluRay's extra clarity. There can be something too squeaky clean and digital about it all without a lot of effort being put into the transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Watched it again tonight with some buddies. If anything it was even better the second time around.

A near flawless adaptation of Dredd and for me one of the action movies of the last decade. Dredd is this generation's Robocop/Predator/Die Hard.

• Advertisement

Ive seen my fair share of 3D films aswell one of which was Avatar which has been classed as on the top end of the 3D spectrum and I personally couldnt stand it, found myself needing to take off the glasses as it just gave me a headache, im not used to nor do I like having to wear uncomfortable glasses to enjoy a movie. Nor did I find the 3D impressive or that it added to the film in anyway what so ever, in fact I was eager to get out of there and couldn't wait to order the film in Blu Ray to give it a proper viewing.

Apart from the slo-mo scenes - which, 3d or not, I thought were extremely gimmicky.

Yeh I found myself thinking the same and almost cringing at the slo-mo scenes especially in the shootout scene.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Watched it again tonight with some buddies. If anything it was even better the second time around.
    A near flawless adaptation of Dredd and for me one of the action movies of the last decade. Dredd is this generation's Robocop/Predator/Die Hard.

Bringing the thread back on topic.
    I just watched it again tonight and I think its better the second time.
    You see a lot more the second view around, but that is true for every film I guess.

As for this generations Predator, well the replacement is Predators.
    Far superior film really. I love the ending (oh ****) - no spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

TheUsual wrote: »
    Bringing the thread back on topic.
    I just watched it again tonight and I think its better the second time.
    You see a lot more the second view around, but that is true for every film I guess.

So many highlights but one that struck me tonight was the scene where (can't remember if we're still doing spoilers)
    after Mama wipes out a whole quadrant of a floor in an attempt to kill Dredd, he emerges carrying her deputy Caleb, unceremoniously flings him over the balcony in front of her and walks back into the smoke without a word. The camera rests a while on a distant mama whose head you think is about to explode in frustration. Such a brilliant moment. I was expecting her to let loose an almighty "KHAAAAAAAAAAANN!!!"

The first time I saw it and
    he killed MaMa
    I was not interested or bothered about her as a character to be honest. Kind of Meh.

But the second watch, you can see she really gets under Dredd's skin and when
    he kills her, there is a moment of revenge, not justice.
    In a way she wins, because he loses it over her.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TheUsual wrote: »
    The first time I saw it and
    he killed MaMa
    I was not interested or bothered about her as a character to be honest. Kind of Meh.

But the second watch, you can see she really gets under Dredd's skin and when
    he kills her, there is a moment of revenge, not justice.
    In a way she wins, because he loses it over her.

I didn't think
    he lost it over her at all . He just frustrates her even more when he doesn't care about the bomb "This isn't a negotiation, the judgement is death" and then shoots her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Well DVD/Blue Ray sales aren't going to do very well in this country. I was all around Henry street and O'Connell street this morning and not a copy to be had. Chap in Tower said he didn't think they were getting it in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

weiland79 wrote: »
    Well DVD/Blue Ray sales aren't going to do very well in this country. I was all around Henry street and O'Connell street this morning and not a copy to be had. Chap in Tower said he didn't think they were getting it in at all.

Yeah same with golden discs, they said it was too expensive to sell on. So I bought 2 copies from amazon, 1 for myself and 1 for my mate.

My mate didn't see it in the flicks and he now thinks it's best action flick of 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Exact same problem here although the guy in Golden Discs in Jervis did say they were looking at getting it in because they've had so many people looking for it. Will probably be too late though if they ever do get it in.

weiland79 wrote: »

Yeh no were is stocking it in Ireland but then again outside of HMV there was or is nowhere that has ever stocked a great blu ray or dvd selection for that matter. I rang every Golden Disc in Dublin looking a for a copy sure only one Golden Discs in Dublin had a copy of Lawless on Blu Ray.

Tower Records have about twenty blu rays in total was in there the other week myself looking for a copy, they had a few blu rays in a corner all old releases terrible selection. I ended up ordering online, which I now have to return due to a fualty disc. I miss HMV :mad:.

• Advertisement

Yeh no were is stocking it in Ireland but then again outside of HMV there was or is nowhere that has ever stocked a great blu ray or dvd selection for that matter. I rang every Golden Disc in Dublin looking a for a copy sure only one Golden Discs in Dublin had a copy of Lawless on Blu Ray.

Tower Records have about twenty blu rays in total was in there the other week myself looking for a copy, they had a few blu rays in a corner all old releases terrible selection. I ended up ordering online, which I now have to return due to a fualty disc. I miss HMV :mad:.

Before you return it give the disc a wipe with a soft cloth. I had issues with a few discs where there was a slight pauses or the audio dropped out and after wiping the discs down they were fine. Blu-Ray is scratch resistant but far more likely to be damaged by smudges and small scratches than DVD ever was. It's also important to remember that the issue could be with your player. Get the latest update for your player and see if that helps.

Advertisement