Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Exact same problem here although the guy in Golden Discs in Jervis did say they were looking at getting it in because they've had so many people looking for it. Will probably be too late though if they ever do get it in.

That's the one I asked in. Yeah they've seriously missed the party if they're just thinking about getting it in now. Such a shame but online worked out cheaper I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I didn't think
    he lost it over her at all . He just frustrates her even more when he doesn't care about the bomb "This isn't a negotiation, the judgement is death" and then shoots her

Would agree with that. Dredd
    throwing Caleb over the balcony
    was the moment where he got fully under her skin imo. He pretty much came out and sent her the exact same message she tried to send at the start of the film
    by having the three guys skinned and thrown from the block
    , but Dredd took it a level further by doing the deed in front of her.

Think that was the penny dropping moment for Ma Ma. Here was a foe that cannot be bargained with, cannot be intimidated, and cannot be broken. She was Ahab watching the White Whale breach, and knowing that the chosen path could only lead to one's own death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Before you return it give the disc a wipe with a soft cloth. I had issues with a few discs where there was a slight pauses or the audio dropped out and after wiping the discs down they were fine. Blu-Ray is scratch resistant but far more likely to be damaged by smudges and small scratches than DVD ever was. It's also important to remember that the issue could be with your player. Get the latest update for your player and see if that helps.

Ah I've tried that, also put in one or two of my other blu rays all worked perfectly new blu rays aswell so its not the player, in fact when I first took the disc out you can actually see there a small chip on the surface of it which Im sure isn't helping. Thanks for the tips though :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I was told by local store is that its a mainly blu ray 3D film/disc and most places don't want to stock them as the don't think they will sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Small wonder high street shops are going out of business if they're not stocking the no.1 film of the moment. Any number of well known online sources will gladly oblige where they fail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

HMV were stocking it and most stores were sold out at the time they closed. Nobody anticipated there was going to be such demand for the film.

If you want to buy online Amazon is the cheapest and, the way things are going, will probably soon be the only place to get Blu-rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Tis a sad day when i can't pop into town to pick up a few dvd's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Well local Xtravision have a copy in stock for €24.99. It's £13.99 on amazon. No brainer really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

It was 12.99 in HMV in Cork.

**** sake!

Great movie though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I dont buy physical media at all but really wanted to support this. Went into tower thinking they'd have it and was amazed at the ****ty, tiny selection of bluerays. HMV I miss thee :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Amazon ftw. It has been on the cards for so long that they had to change or go out of business. They didn't change much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Does anyone know are they going to make another one? Potential there definitely I really enjoyed it.
    whoever plays Dredd was a perfect fit. liked the way we never saw his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched this again the other night. It was my last purchase in HMV :(

The wife watched it with me and even though she isn't the biggest action movie fan she enjoyed it. It definitely held up to a 2nd viewing.

Unfortunately a sequel doesn't look likely as they are actioning off the props on eBay from the 28th.

article here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Some figures on how well Dredd sold on DVD in its first week of release in America. Im guessing that could at least be doubled to include the rest of the world

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pretty impressive. 5 million dollars in a week is nice.

On the other hand, Pitch Perfect has made 37 million so far so I'm not sure we should be celebrating just yet. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Any idea as to dredds total earnings so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

The above figures dont include blu-ray sales. They hav nt been updated yet. So it will be interesting to see how Dredd did there.

I havnt seen anywhere that gives an up to date world wide DVD sales figure for Dredd.
    It took around 37 million at the Box Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Any idea as to dredds total earnings so far?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

$35 million so far, but it only cost $50 million so that's good.
    Also I think it's the kind of film that grows into a cult movie over time by word of mouth, so it will keep making money.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

TheUsual wrote: »
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

$35 million so far, but it only cost $50 million so that's good.
    Also I think it's the kind of film that grows into a cult movie over time by word of mouth, so it will keep making money.

Bear in mind that $35M has to be split between the distributor and the exhibiting venues, so on screenings alone the distributor has made back maybe $17.5M so far. It seems to be doing well on home release, but I suspect that any notion of a sequel with a similar budget has been torpedoed by the under-performing theatrical releae :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

gandalf wrote: »
    Watched this again the other night. It was my last purchase in HMV :(
    I think I've watched it 3 or 4 times now. I very rarely ever watch a film more than once.

I even plan to buy it on blue ray at some stage even though I already have it downloaded in 1080.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Fysh wrote: »
    Bear in mind that $35M has to be split between the distributor and the exhibiting venues, so on screenings alone the distributor has made back maybe $17.5M so far. It seems to be doing well on home release, but I suspect that any notion of a sequel with a similar budget has been torpedoed by the under-performing theatrical releae :(

Yeah you may be correct there.
    I always wonder how many USA kids/teenagers are exposed to Judge Dredd comics. The film expects you know the background story of World War 3 and Megacities, which is fine for me but if I just saw the trailer and was a newcomers, maybe it's a bit confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

TheUsual wrote: »
    Yeah you may be correct there.
    I always wonder how many USA kids/teenagers are exposed to Judge Dredd comics. The film expects you know the background story of World War 3 and Megacities, which is fine for me but if I just saw the trailer and was a newcomers, maybe it's a bit confusing.

I had no idea about the Dredd comics. I don't see what could be confusing. The world is fecked up and people live in these big megacities. The story is set pretty well from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2013-03/01/content_28101198.htm

A chance for Dredd to make some money in the cinema still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I must give this a second viewing even though I loved it the first time round! A sequel would be very welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i just watched dredd and i have a question.is dredd a drugged up made up cop, a ****ed up person or a robot?I'm not familiar with the comics at all,and I'm pretty sure it didn't say in the movie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

crazygeryy wrote: »
    i just watched dredd and i have a question.is dredd a drugged up made up cop, a ****ed up person or a robot?I'm not familiar with the comics at all,and I'm pretty sure it didn't say in the movie.

He's just a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Watched this for the first time last night and all in all was rather underwhelmed by it.

It's not a bad movie but the whole slow mo gimmick annoyed me plus the CGI gore looked shoddy in a lot of places.

Meh,I've seen worse but wont be in any hurry to view it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

For those who disliked the slow mo, did you watch it in 2D or 3D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I tried watching this in 3D and that's how I found out I am one of the approx. 10-12% of the population who cannot see stereoscopically.

Sat down, glasses on, watching the gatling gun sequence - nothing, looks exactly like a normal 2D blu ray to me. Meanwhile my sister in law who is sat beside me is raving about the depth and the 3D effect etc. etc.

Oh well, at least I know not to buy any more 3D blu rays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

crazygeryy wrote: »
    he's a clone from what I remember. So he is somewhat super human but not a whole lot.
    For those who disliked the slow mo, did you watch it in 2D or 3D?
    I liked it and watched the film in 2d. The only reason I'm want to buy the blue ray is to see the 3D. I know the slow-mo was a 3D gimmick but as those kind of gimmicks go I think it was a good one and was well tied into the story.

Advertisement