Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

ScumLord wrote: »
    he's a clone from what I remember. So he is somewhat super human but not a whole lot.

yea i could tell he wasnt " just a man".no normal man/cop would act like that.
    anyway i enjoyed the movie well worth a watch.
    cheers.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ScumLord wrote: »
    he's a clone from what I remember. So he is somewhat super human but not a whole lot.
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    yea i could tell he wasnt " just a man".no normal man/cop would act like that.
    anyway i enjoyed the movie well worth a watch.
    cheers.

He is a clone but he's not superhuman at all afaik. He doesn't do anything superhuman in the film from what I recall. Normal cops don't exist anymore, just the judges they're every facet of the law rolled into one, it's a totalitarian regime and he's a fanatic to the cause.

Mickeroo wrote: »

He is a clone but he's not superhuman at all afaik. He doesn't do anything superhuman in the film from what I recall. Normal cops don't exist anymore, just the judges they're every facet of the law rolled into one, it's a totalitarian regime and he's a fanatic to the cause.

so hes not "just a man" then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Yep, pretty much. In the comic book he gets injured, shot and burned just like normal people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He is though; just a man that is. The whole point is that these aren't normal cops. It's not a normal world; it's an overpopulated police-state out of control, where the Judges have complete authority. Dredd acts that way because it's his job & he believes in it. Sometimes what makes things most shocking are the acts done by otherwise normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How so? I meant that in the sense that he has no super powers or supernatural abilities.

Mickeroo wrote: »

How so? I meant that in the sense that he has no super powers or supernatural abilities.

well my whole point was he didn't act like a normal man,so i was wondering did i miss something.ie was he cloned,was he a robot etc etc
    anyway pixleburp answered it best above.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

well my whole point was he didn't act like a normal man,so i was wondering did i miss something.ie was he cloned,was he a robot etc etc
    anyway pixleburp answered it best above.

Dredd is more than that though. I read the comics for years and the overriding thing about him was that he was to all intents and purposes the embodiment of the law in MegaCity 1. He was inducted in to the academy at age 5 and spent 15 years studying ever facet of the law and its application as well as weapons and combat training.

He's also a complete and utter fascist but a fascist that you want in your corner when things get out of hand. He has no "super powers" so to speak of but he's hard as nails and is not afraid to dispense justice as he sees fit to all, swiftly, brutally and without prejudice.

He is also a clone and this is possibly hinted at in the movie when Anderson is asked by the Chief Judge what she can tell her about the other person in the room. Anderson says something along the lines of she senses anger and control but something behind the control. She is then cut off by the Chief Judge. I read that possible ideas for a sequel were the exploration of the judge system and the judges and this (possibly) would have been expanded upon. We'll probably never find out though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Phil1nj paints out the persona quite well.

Part of it which was explored in the comics is that judges are brought in from a very young age for training, typically because it requires such rigorous training, but also because it disconnects the trainee judge from friends and family and therefore attaches them only to the law.

Dredd (and his clone brother), being devoid of parents, proved the ultimate in this regard because he never had any parental attachment, which gives him the ultimate in applying the law in a relentless, stone cold manner. At a high level you could say that judge system is his family and parental unit, so his dedication to that system and its rules and training goes beyond what can be achieved any other judges'.

He has superior physical skill which is explained by him being a clone of the greatest judge to ever have existed, along with his dedicated training regime. In later years he also has some damaged/failing body parts replaced with superior prosthetics, so he never appears to fail due to age.

The movie leans a lot on the original comics and to someone coming new to it, that could be a failing. The comics blatantly use cliche, names like "Slo-mo" for the drug, to the point where it's part of the identity of the universe. But if you were coming fresh to it, you could easily believe that the writing and effects are just lazy, rather than intentionally cliche.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

seamus wrote: »
    In later years he also has some damaged/failing body parts replaced with superior prosthetics, so he never appears to fail due to age.

I'm pretty sure that Domhnall Gleeson's character's bionic eyes were a nod to the mutant/Judge Child storyline where Dredd loses his own eyes, gets an upgraded artifical pair that have enhanced night vision, range and accuracy. He then wishes he'd had the operation done years before :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Watched it on BR last night. Gotta get me a 3D telly now...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Since the film came out, I dipped my toe into the comics' waters (checked out 'America' and 'Origins', both quality) and what I like about the universe is that Dredd has been ageing alongside the comic itself; that he's now approx. 35 years older than when he first appeared in 2000AD back in 1977.

In a world of reboots, retcons & alternate universes, it's nice to see a major comic character that has aged naturally (notwithstanding sleep machines and other sci-fi technobabble) as his comic has grown older; it seems like an obvious yet underused idea to instil some long-term pay off & growth in a character.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Probably wont have a sequel http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1am57s :(

That really sucks. Dredd and the Raid were my two favourite movies of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sad to read that but thanks for the link, off to watch Dirty Laundry now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Have to say Dredd was the first movie I saw in 3D that actually seriously worked, the slow-mo 3D effect was brilliant and amazingly added to the content instead of just "doing" 3D. Its on my wishlist along with The Matador & Wild Target. eeehhhh... I know they are completely different genre but they're still cool:o

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Not the sequel people want but it seems 2000AD might carry on the story from the movie.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/04/dredd-sequel-on-its-way-but-not-as-movie.html

Also a campaign on Facebook for a sequel if anybody wants to take a look.

https://www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Really enjoyed the movie. Can anyone recommend some of the comics to read, ie the best ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the movie. Can anyone recommend some of the comics to read, ie the best ones?

For just Judge Dredd ?
    Then the collection books are the best, check amazon or comic book shops.
    http://forbiddenplanet.com/graphic-novels/?q=dredd

List of major stories here (bit of reading needed) .. .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

I asked the same question way back in the thread, and the more common suggestions included "America" and "Origins"

America is quite different to the film in outlook, so if you're looking for more of the same tone & action, it'll disappoint. It's a great story either way, showing how in this world democracy is considered terrorism.

Origins tells of how the world of Megacity 1 came to be & what events lead to nuclear war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

TheUsual wrote: »
    For just Judge Dredd ?
    Then the collection books are the best, check amazon or comic book shops.
    http://forbiddenplanet.com/graphic-novels/?q=dredd

List of major stories here (bit of reading needed) .. .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd

Thanks. Yes, just Dredd and that Universe. Is there a chronological order to be followed or could you start with Origins and America per the below?
    pixelburp wrote: »
    I asked the same question way back in the thread, and the more common suggestions included "America" and "Origins"

America is quite different to the film in outlook, so if you're looking for more of the same tone & action, it'll disappoint. It's a great story either way, showing how in this world democracy is considered terrorism.

Origins tells of how the world of Megacity 1 came to be & what events lead to nuclear war.

Both sound good. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Just after watching the 2D blu-ray of this and while I do still love it did anybody else notice some big differences in picture quality all through it?
    Frequently it would cut from very clear shots to grainy and back again, I dont think it has anything to do with my set-up :confused:

Just after watching the 2D blu-ray of this and while I do still love it did anybody else notice some big differences in picture quality all through it?
    Frequently it would cut from very clear shots to grainy and back again, I dont think it has anything to do with my set-up :confused:

I had the same query when I got the BR too. I think it's just the transfer itself rather than the set up. Picture seems better in the 3D one.

The Judge Dredd fan film Judge Minty is now available to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

The Judge Dredd fan film Judge Minty is now available to watch.

Is it only 27 min long? Have you watched it?

Raoul wrote: »
    Is it only 27 min long? Have you watched it?

It's only 27 minutes long, supposed to be very good. Have yet to watch it as I'm getting a Blu-Ray copy and going to wait for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Enjoyed that. Cheers Darko

That was quite impressive, fair play to all involved. Acting's a little ropey, but that's to be expected with a production like this.

The half-hour runtime also shows how the world of Dredd could have potential as a TV series, if the right people were interested. Whilst the film itself tanked, a hard-R rated sci-fi show could do quite well for itself on one of the US cable channels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I'll also echo that the quality of that short was top notch. I really enjoyed that.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Its the Dredd thread that refuses to die :D

Enjoyed the short.

I think Alex Garland did talk at one point about Dredd working as a tv show.

Advertisement