Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sorry but that guy looks NOTHING like Dredd! He looks like he would be more comfortable on Tallafornia.

This movie falls at the first hurdle. They chose an actor without a chin to play Dredd. My guess is that Karl Urban spends the whole movie trying to jut his bottom jaw out trying to feign a chin.

They could of used Ron Perlman or Christian Bale.

Can't say I see Bale being any better in the chin department than Urban, Perlman is too old, he pulls off hellboy well because of the make up. There was only one man with a chin for the job really, and I've said it before, Aaron Eckhart!

Having said that, I've yet to see Carl Urban (maybe ghost ship, but he died early in it) suck in anything and I'm sure he's well able for the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's probably gonna look as cheap as chips*: it's pretty low-budget after all, so might as well prepare yourself for that: it's a fifth of the Stallone budget and practically 'indie' but that's really no reason why it shouldn't be quite good, certainly a lot better than the 95 debacle.

*From these on-set pics, it appears that the citizens of the Big Meg just wear standard mufti:
    599768_3961073632527_1651234729_n.jpg

Highlighted the important part here - they're set pics. Everything looks like garbage onset, doesn't matter whether it's Judge Dredd, the new Batman movie, or whatever; until the editors & post-production teams get their hands on the footage, things always look a bit unconvincing and flat.

Yeah the budget's much smaller, but I'm sure there'll be 'plenty' of FX to lift the sets up from being completely contemporary, not to mention the magic of the camera making things seem that bit more epic.

Besides, if anything a little 'reality' will probably do this film no harm; might distance itself a bit more from the Stallone vehicle a bit more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Check out machinima.com, or youtube - there's a short 10 sec mini trailer up...

'Negotiation's over...'

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^I'll just leave this here :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus, trailer-trailers are becoming an awful curse in modern cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

Yeah, that trailer gives away the whole plot of the trailer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Looks like crap

I keed. The new trailer out on Saturday, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Trailer out tomorrow...

Looks like the slow mo stuff is today's equivalent of spears and arrows being thrown at the screen for that zarjazz '3D' effect - bet the movie will be full of it to make up for a lacklustre script and no character development...

But I stand to be corrected - here's hoping...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Trailer

Looks decent enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Looks like an average run of the mill blaster. I thought it might be more old school and darker looking so that's disappointing.

Still don't think Urban is the right fit, he looks too small.

Anyway here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Plot is basically The Raid, which we knew anyway, but i reckon that is going to be a big problem for Dredd.

The Raid was superb, and Dredd is going to have to be brilliant to live up to it - judging by the trailer it is going to fall short.

Don't think Urban suits the role at all going by the trailer either - he looks like someone pretending to be Dredd (which he is, in reality). Maybe he will make it his own in the movie itself, but the 'dredd look' just doesn't fit or look at all natural with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

LOL it is the same storyline for The Raid: Redemption, i heard it was fairly similar but damn it looks so alike, minus a good hand to hand combat scene though :D,

Appeared old-school and dark enough to me?

I thought it looked ok, might be a bit of fun - it definitely gives off a B-movie vibe off it, so my approach will be that of the (potential) guilty pleasure. The only minor point is that it's extremely similar to The Raid, I can see now why they held off on showing a trailer for as long as they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

So basically it's the plot from both The Raid and the drug Cake from the Drugs episode of Brass eye? :pac:

Looks very B-movie with Karl doing a Clint Eastwood impression. Seems to be a heavy amount of slow-mo visual pieces, too much of that usually irks me in a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Trailer looks ok, definitely closer in look to the early Dredd story lines in 2000AD IMO. MegaCity One looks like an absolute ****hole (which it should be with that many people holed up in it and living on top of each other). Haven't seen the raid but the plot outline appears to be the same as people have pointed out. Will give it a watch though when it comes out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Urban is over 6 foot tall, so there's no reason why he should look so small as Dredd. The problem isn't him or his jaw, it's the costume. The helmet is too bloody big and the shoulder pads only accentuate this, making him look like a little skinny guy.

Anyway, the trailer has confirmed what we already knew: this is low-budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Pretty much what I expected. Low budget, cheesy lines here and there and karl urbans most gravelly voice.
    Im gonna enjoy the sh!t out of it :pac:

It's actually reminding me of Lockout, only without a snarky & wise-cracking Guy Pearce. Dumb, cheesy fun - potentially.

Not that pushed about the costume, I think it looks fine to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It reminds me a lot of Punisher: War Zone (and the last scene in that is the same setup as The Raid and this). Should be a bit of fun, if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Urban is over 6 foot tall, so there's no reason why he should look so small as Dredd. The problem isn't him or his jaw, it's the costume. The helmet is too bloody big and the shoulder pads only accentuate this, making him look like a little skinny guy.

I was always under the impression that the budget was known to be fairly low anyway (There's only so much you can do nowadays with $45million :D). As long as most of this was spent on the set pieces I don't think people can complain.

Wrt to the casting choice of Karl Urban, Dredd doesn't have to be this huge hulking beast of a man, some of the artisits who have drawn him over the years actually play on this (Mike Mahon, Brendan McCarthy etc all drew Dredd as being fairly lithe) and the costume/props were always going to be a problem. Look at the various incarnations of superhero/comic book characters costumes over the years and how they translate to film. Batman is a prime example, the classic Batman costume has a lot of tight grey spandex yet this was changed to black rubber for Tim Burtons take and black body armour for Nolan's version - not a hint of grey. Looking at the Dredd costume, whilst not a 100% faithful transfer from the pages of 2000AD, it's a damn site better than the Stallone attempt (gold cod-pieces ffs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Doesnt look great to me at all, I think the major problem form me when viewing this is because it look so similar to The Raid ill be constantly comparing the two when watching it and I cant see it living up to The Raid or standing out enough for people to be able to seperate the two all together.

Plus when creating a city an a new enviroment it gives you so much freedom creatively so to be stuck in one building for majority of the film is taking the easy way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭weiland79

So what i got from that trailer was that, even though they have all of Mega city 1 to make a movie from, they decided to focus on one building with some sort of Kingpin at the top that Dredd must fight his way to with a feckin side kick along for the ride.

I despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Thought that exactly which makes me wonder what tone they're going for.

If they want the comic book Dredd then I wouldn't mind the exaggeration of certain aspects of it, but the trailer says differently. Looks like it's taking itself a little seriously (nothing wrong with that), just hope they get the tone of the movie right and doesn't lose the audience as a result.

Also the drug is called "slow mo"? Really? I thought the slo-mo matrix special effects died a death? (Heh, Judge Death!) But it looks like an excuse to just chuck in a few artsy slow motion scenes to chew up some screen time.

Saying all that I'll still go to see it. Even if it ends up being some Doom-like mess that's relegated to a Sunday evening brain-less action-a-thon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

that what she said :D:D:D

Similarities to The Raid aside, I think it looks decent enough. The first part of the trailer gave off a nice dystopian feel. I agree the helmet looks too big but I'm willing to over look that. The low budget could be a positive to be honest, hopefully it means less studio involvement and a bit more inventiveness from the film makers.

As for the whole Raid issue, well thats a problem for us alright, but I don't think all that many went to see it outside of die hard cinephiles(:pac:) like ourselves? So it might not effect box office too much.

I think it looks bloody great. Sure the plot appears similar to the Raid but it's not like it's some cheap rip off. Both films have been in production for years and Dredd would out first were it not for the various delays.

Setting it in one location is a wise move considering that this is a relatively low budget film and while we would all love to see Mega City One up there in all it's glory the budget obviously didn't stretch that far. If this is a success then I imagine that we will see more of the city in any sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    As for the whole Raid issue, well thats a problem for us alright, but I don't think all that many went to see it outside of die hard cinephiles(:pac:) like ourselves? So it might not effect box office too much.
    I think it looks bloody great. Sure the plot appears similar to the Raid but it's not like it's some cheap rip off. Both films have been in production for years and Dredd would out first were it not for the various delays.

It's hard not to make similarities to The Raid when they show a bit in the trailer that's almost frame for frame that brilliant scene when
    the power is cut off and the muzzle flash of the shotgun gives their position away.
    (I'm very glad I caught it in the cinema....amazing film!).

Even the layout of the apartments is strikingly similar!

chin_grin wrote: »
    It's hard not to make similarities to The Raid when they show a bit in the trailer that's almost frame for frame that brilliant scene when
    the power is cut off and the muzzle flash of the shotgun gives their position away.
    (I'm very glad I caught it in the cinema....amazing film!).

Even the layout of the apartments is strikingly similar!

Yeah, there was also a bit where the boss character (Lena Headley?)
    seemed to have three guys on their knees in her office about to be executed just like the start of The Raid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    but I don't think all that many went to see it outside of die hard cinephiles(:pac:) like ourselves? So it might not effect box office too much.

I think Susan Sontag, if she was still alive, would take umbrage with your use of the word cinephile in relation to The Raid :P

http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/03/12/specials/sontag-cinema.html

(I've typed, read and googled the word cinephilia way too much over the last month)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Have to say it looks good and as a lifelong 2000AD fan I'm looking forward to it.

Advertisement