Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

There's a silver lining to this. Does this mean that the US remake of The Raid will be cancelled? Sort of like how the US remake of Battle Royale was cancelled upon the release of Hunger Games

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mehhhh, looks cheap as hell in places, not overly impressed with it, its low budget could be its downfall or its saving grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looks like some 80s straight-to-video action film. I know the budget was limited but that trailer does it no favours.

Still holding out hope though that Alex Garland's script saves it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That trailer looks decent enough, I'm looking forward to this :)

That said, when I saw the "Judge, Jury and Executioner" bit I immediately heard it in my head as Nick Frost saying "He is not Judge Judy and executioner!"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

so much more looking forward to TAKEN 2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I gotta be honest - I don't see what people are talking about when it comes to the budget, I think it looks fine. Were people expecting "5th Element" style vistas or something? If the action's solid & it remains true to the spirit of the comics, so what if every second scene isn't a CGIfest?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks like some 80s straight-to-video action film. I know the budget was limited but that trailer does it no favours.

Still holding out hope though that Alex Garland's script saves it.

I forgot he wrote it, he's not one for writing mindless crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

For me I think they capture the dark crumbling dystopian world that Dredd inhabits, all be it a from brief glimpse here and still shots. I liked the riot scene hint, because in Dredd's Mega city there was virtually 100% unemployment and so boredom was endemic with all the problems that brings.

I like that you see modern 'old' cars still in use and again modern 'old' weapons like in Mad Max. From what I have read Karl Urban is a fan of Dredd so I hope he shows Dredd for what I believe him to be. My Dredd will not give you a Bond villan explantion of why he is about to summarily execute you, rather he will just shoot you in the back because you broke the law and he after all; IS THE LAW.

That looks good to me. Looking forward to seeing it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Yeah despite my earlier misgivings about the fact that the actor doesn't really look like Dredd, I am looking forward to it. It's gotta be better than Stallone's Dredd.

I hope they have Mean Machine Angel making an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Eh did they show the end of the movie in that trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Now that the HD trailer is out there, it's nice to see a nod to one of the other 2000AD characters in the MegaCity 1 block names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

After taking a second look and reading through all the posts plus background info everyone has given, (I haven't seen The Raid). I will keep this one on the thumbs up for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

phil1nj wrote: »
    Now that the HD trailer is out there, it's nice to see a nod to one of the other 2000AD characters in the MegaCity 1 block names.

Yeah I had a little grin on my face when I spotted that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

jasus Stallone's version looked better and how is the raid not suing this

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ricero wrote: »

Don't think you can sue for a basic premise, plenty of films share similar set ups. We've only got a trailer to go on yet anyway, hopefully there's enough in this to make it it's own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

jasus Stallone's version looked better

Let's not say anything we can't take back.
    and how is the raid not suing this

As I mentioned before, Punisher: War Zone's ending piece was an apartment building that the Punisher had to clear out floor by floor to kill the bad guy at the top. It's not a new premise. Sure it's the same basic plot of Donkey Kong.

You can't copyright a premise and anyways this has been in production as long as if not longer than the Raid. Dredd should have been out before the Raid, it was scheduled for release before The Raid so I imagine that had things gone to plan you would have been expecting the makers of Dredd to sue those behind the Raid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How??
    It has Rob Schneider in it, how that can possibly be considered a boon?

phil1nj wrote: »
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah I had a little grin on my face when I spotted that. :)

I've watched it a few times now and didn't spot it. whats it called? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    How??
    It has Rob Schneider in it, how that can possibly be considered a boon?

the dvd extras have an outtake where he falls down a flight of stairs accidentally and hurts himself. I watch it once a week.

ah here it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've watched it a few times now and didn't spot it. whats it called? :)

hammer.jpg

beer-stein-1.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I like my films to have a star name or even a well know actor, I don't know one actor in this film. Rob schneider is a god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Lots of dumb and badly informed comments there regarding Dredd copying The Raid.
    The basic script for Dredd was written by Alex Garland as far back as 2008, it got leaked in July 2010.
    Dredd was shot in November 2010 before The Raid (early 2011) and Dredd initially was due to be released in Spring this year but was decided to hold back and allow a release in a low point of the year after the Summer blockbusters passed to maximise its potential.
    This allowed The Raid which coincidently has a similar plot to Dredd to sneak in before it and steal its thunder.
    This maybe a good thing, plently of pigeons here and all over the internet comparing it to The Raid, it only took in $4 million in the American box office. This suggests to me that people haven't seen it but jumped on the bandwagon or only saw the trailer.
    People who like the premise for The Raid but put off by subtitles would be drawn to Dredd as its English speaking. This will help Dredd in the box office. End of the day, they're different movies, one is martial arts/action, the other is big screen guns/John Rambo level gore/big action scenes.
    The best Dredd version so far is Robocop till Karl Urban's Dredd comes, that is essentially Judge Dredd as the writers had publically said that they ripped off Judge Dredd from the comics. No one ripping on Robocop is there???
    Look lets not forget that Dredd and The Raid ripped off Die Hard, same premise.
    You should go see Dredd, early word of mouth from the screen tests have been very good! John Wagner creator of Dredd has given the movie his seal of approval. He was very wary of it after that kids movie in 95.
    Lets not be too quick to judge there. No pun intended. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah you can see Robocop is only a catchphrase away from Dredd

"your move, perp!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97531199@N00/4524587533/
    Skerries wrote: »
    yeah you can see Robocop is only a catchphrase away from Dredd

"your move, perp!"

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

humanji wrote: »
    It's not a new premise. Sure it's the same basic plot of Donkey Kong.

Or the basic idea for the original version of Game of Death; involving Bruce Lee going up five flights of a Pagoda to reach the top.

Game of Death took five years to make; in that time Bruce Lee died but dozens of other films ripped off his basic concept to the point that the idea was completely unusable, hence the car wreak of a film from 1978.

As for Dredd, it looks decent. I'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    hammer.jpg

beer-stein-1.jpg

:D

Actually you've got the wrong supporting character there.
    The name of the block in the trailer is actually Sternhammer, Johnny Alpha's partner.........old cucumber!!!!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I think that it looks bloody great, in that trailer.
    The helmet is far too big though

Advertisement