Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

FlashD wrote: »
    I don't understand why its getting first screenings so far ahead of the release date. Early September as I remember which is ages away. That's not normal is it?

It's a film whose audience is at least partly pop-culture/comic fans, and SDCC is one of the biggest conventions (if not the biggest) for such material in the world. An early release there guarantees an audience predisposed to respond positively to the film and help generate some early buzz for the marketing push later in the year.

I've got to say, though - the clip up-thread didn't exactly inspire me. I understand the use of slow-motion to underscore the effects of the drug, but in the length of the clip alone I'd already had enough (thank you Zack Snyder!). It's compounded by the badly-cheap-looking CGI'd blood.

As a demo of the violence & gore in the film it's grand, but as a promo intended to hook in an audience it's a bit lacklustre. I'm still game for seeing the film, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

FlashD wrote: »
    So far ahead of schedule, why don't they just frikkin release it then?

This here :)
    Up against Avengers, Spiderman and Batman?? Are you mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

I'd real love if they'd make the America story into a film, its got a good plot, real characters and its very very dark and cynical...
    I love that story, everything about it, but I reckon of all the Dredd tales 'AMERICA' is the least filmable because it's written to the strengths of the medium: the narrative voice is read rather than 'heard' and this is a very important element to the conclusion.

Also it's practically a musical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'm pretty sure any Dredd fan will be more than happy with this move :D

Review from an Irish fan who was at the San Diego Comic-Con and saw the whole thing (from 2000ad online forum) :

Hard to know what to say. Just got back from San Diego a few minutes ago and I'm ****ing dog-tired. The reviews pretty much nail it so I won't repeat much of what they say.

It's really everything you could possibly want from a Dredd adaptation. If you've read the script that leaked, the bare bones of it are there but they've done quite a bit of embellishing since, and it's all for the good.

It's just a fantastic movie. It really, really is. Absolutely relentless and wrenching. The violence has weight and consequences to it, not just completely mindless. If you have any misgivings about the vehicles or the uniform, they'll be blasted away (along with your eardrums! Haha!) thirty seconds in. Urban is perfect in every conceivable way. Thirlby is a beauty but she really grounds the movie and you feel for her with some of the decisions and actions she has to make.

The thing that really appealed to me was that they've really created a world that makes sense within the confines of the movie. There's no question whatsoever this is a place that needs the likes of the Judges to try and keep order. Everywhere is just filthy and dangerous and the movie exudes a poisonous atmosphere throughout. A sinking feeling that even though the likes of Dredd
    (and Hershey, apparently)
    are out there doing their duty that there's no way they'll ever stop this. It's too big for them. They're putting band-aids on a severed head.

Better yet, Dredd is realized perfectly onscreen. When people are afraid of him, you know why. He's like the shark in Jaws in this: Precise and exact and a terrifying figure to behold if you're on the wrong side of the law.

It's a thing of beauty. I don't agree with a lot of these reviews in regard to the 3D. I found it completely enhanced the movie, especially with the slo-mo sequences and I usually hate the experience so that's saying something.

If you haven't read the leaked script, I would say stay away from it and just go in cold. You are NOT going to be disappointed.

The line had about 400-500 people waiting since 4pm for a 10pm screening and afterwards I heard about twenty people from that line made it in as opposed to this VIP and his guest who was one of the first in. The atmosphere was pretty good. Not quite as raucous as some of these reviews suggest but I more than made up for those boring ***** on my own. Shook hands with The Urban as he left as well. Told him it was ****ing awesome and I'd been waiting a long time for this. He told me he'd made the movie just for me. Great guy. He must be very proud of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What a tick, they screened the entire film?? Seriously? I just assumed like most features promoing themselves at comicCon, they simply whetted the appetite with some clips, not show the whole damn thing. Props to them, that certainly shows confidence in the material if nothing else

Very positive reviews too:
    dream.GIF

That rating wont last of course, but it looks nice.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    What a tick, they screened the entire film?? Seriously? I just assumed like most features promoing themselves at comicCon, they simply whetted the appetite with some clips, not show the whole damn thing. Props to them, that certainly shows confidence in the material if nothing else

Its not unheard of, I think Joss Whedon might have done the same with Serenity, not sure though. I think there was a lot of fan screenings of Serenity before its official release iirc, I seem to remember reading that it ended up negatively impacting on it's box office in the end though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

pixelburp wrote: »
    Props to them, that certainly shows confidence in the material if nothing else

It sure does, and by the looks of things they seem to be riding a positive marketing wave right now but a 2 month gap to official release is a long stretch.

Not unless they have planned to spend their marketing budget on an all out campaign in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

not impressed by trailer or what i heard about the plot...looks terrible but its only a trailer...been a dredd comic fan for 20 years so i hope they get it right and i hope the director understands that humour is essential for decent dredd stories

• Advertisement

The reaction of Douglas Wolk, (who writes the 'Dredd Reckoning' blog and is a bit of an expert on the comics):
    This is the first blog entry I've written since I got to see the movie, and it's not clear whether I'm going to be writing about it elsewhere at some length, but the short version is: I liked it a lot. Generally terrific script, on-the-money performances, highly thrill-powered, extremely violent. Excellent use of both 3-D and slow-mo, i.e. things you can do in movies but not comics. For those of you wondering if it's comics-canonical: not 100%, but I wouldn't want it to be, either, and it's altered in ways that make it work better as a movie.*** And, to the extent that it is canon-congruent, it seems to be set a couple of months before Prog 2. How about that?
    Plus Karl Urban turns out to be a confirmed Squaxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

aaa217c0-a222-4612-b2ed-9bbc9108a7ec.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Daredevil-Poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

darkman_ver4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

judge-dredd-dredd-13671-400x250.jpg

My new wallpaper.

Really looking forward to this now especially after all the positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

New TV spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBtJYmaxDE&feature=plcp

(maybe someone can explain how to embed youtube videos here... )

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

redt0m wrote: »
    New TV spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBtJYmaxDE&feature=plcp

(maybe someone can explain how to embed youtube videos here... )

Take everything after the = and put it inside the youtube tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another clip, and not a stretch to suggest this occurs just before it all kicks off. Not entirely sold on the odd mixture of future & modern tech, but still looking forward to it in glorious 2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Public Service Announcement from the Justice Department :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

too many trailers.
    Time to unsubscribe, until I have seen the film

aaa217c0-a222-4612-b2ed-9bbc9108a7ec.JPG
    WatchWolf wrote: »
    Daredevil-Poster.jpg

Judge_Dredd_in_America_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sunzzz

Looks terrible, but hey.

Hope i'm wrong.

It's seems to be going down pretty well with those who've seen it.

Rottentomatoes.com has it on 100%. Seems somewhat surprising. Admittedly it's early days and this'll likely change.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Rottentomatoes.com has it on 100%. Seems somewhat surprising. Admittedly it's early days and this'll likely change.

Probably a bit early...although my interest has gradually started to increase from when it was first announced!

From the clips I've seen, it seems to be a more faithful representation of Mega City 1 and the 2000AD strip compared to the Sly Stallone one. It'll be interesting to see what review ratings will emerge, to say the least...

Here's how it went down at the San Diego Comic-Con:

huffingtonpost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I must say the marketing for this has been done very well, this should be a lesson in how to market such a movie.

They have given the critics a look at a good product, released good trailers, and had a showing at comic con where you know news will spread like wildfire if its good or bad.

This in comparison to another sci-fi John Carter last year.

I must say im really looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I must say the marketing for this has been done very well, this should be a lesson in how to market such a movie.

They have given the critics a look at a good product, released good trailers, and had a showing at comic con where you know news will spread like wildfire if its good or bad.

This in comparison to another sci-fi John Carter last year.

I must say im really looking forward to it now

+1

Have to say with a week to go, I'm now really looking forward to this. And apart from the odd TV spot and one main trailer, there's been little or nothing in the way of a "hard sell" of the movie. Role on the weekend of the 7th:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Advertisement