Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macro lens and spot light

• 22-07-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Wondering if any of you fine and wonderful people could help me out. I have a Nikon D80 and i want to take some close up pics of toy cars flowers, figuriens etc but I'm only an armature at best. I am happy to spend hours playing about with the equipment i have but when it comes to buying new lenses it can be a bit daunting. Basically i want a new macro lens and a spot light with a mid range budget of course. The only lens i have at the mo is a 18-200 vr which is useless up close. Any ideas with be gratefully appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Cheapest option's are close up filters and extension tubes (work reasonably well on a cheap 50mm f1.8).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If you don't want to spend a few hundred euro on a macro lens OP you could always look at an older manual focus macro lens. I'm not familiar with Nikon lenses myself but there must be something compatible with your camera from 20-30 years ago.

For example the photos in the link below were taken with an old Pentax lens (at least 30 years old) that I picked up for a tenner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/sets/72157614940132266

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Oops sorry - missed the Nikon bit!!:o

hehe just link to a Nikon set then- I'm sure there must be one! I'll edit this post if you do! hehe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

I got a Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 APO DG macro for €99 from Conns second hand with 1yrs warranty. It's not super amazing because it has a long focal distance (I think that's the term) and no vibration reduction and no HSM but it works and I like the colours. I figure this will work with a tripod until I can afford a super prime macro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Wow.. that €10 macro lens is pretty awesome! It's a Tamron? What model Tamron? (I've got a 70-300mm Tamron Macro-zoom lens... but I bought it new, so it wasn't a tenner!) and where'd you pick it up for a tenner! it might be worth going there to grab some glass! =D
    If you don't want to spend a few hundred euro on a macro lens OP you could always look at an older manual focus macro lens. I'm not familiar with Nikon lenses myself but there must be something compatible with your camera from 20-30 years ago.

For example the photos in the link below were taken with an old Pentax lens (at least 30 years old) that I picked up for a tenner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/sets/72157614940132266

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I think the term you're looking for there might be minimum focusing distance. (the closest something can be to the lens in order for the lens to focus on this.) You can reduce this with an extension tube. (I miss the 2CM super-macro focus on my Fuji bridge camera!)
    kittykrazy wrote: »
    long focal distance (I think that's the term)

Heebie wrote: »
    Wow.. that €10 macro lens is pretty awesome! It's a Tamron? What model Tamron? (I've got a 70-300mm Tamron Macro-zoom lens... but I bought it new, so it wasn't a tenner!) and where'd you pick it up for a tenner! it might be worth going there to grab some glass! =D

Yeah it's not too shabby. It's the 35-70mm CF Macro. I got it on Adverts, one of the chaps from the photography forum was selling it. You can find it on eBay from time to time. While not quite €10 there I have seen it going for around the €30-40 mark.

Advertisement