Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a circuit breaker

Options
  • 22-07-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey,

I need to wire up an element which has about a 12A draw, but I need to understand a bit more about circuit breakers first....

In the pic attached, would I be right in thinking that the 'C16' indicates that it is a 16A circuit breaker and that the 240/415V means it can run off either 240 or 415V? Do any of the other markings mean anything significant?

I'll be wiring up the element to run off standard Irish Voltage (230/240 I think), so I think I need a 2 pole circuit breaker (correct?)....... I already have 3 or 4 of the MCB's from the pic, if I put two of them side by side (& tie the switches together) and run the live through one of them and the neutral through the other does this mean it will work as a 16A double pole circuit breaker??

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

philhway wrote: »
    Hey,

I need to wire up an element which has about a 12A draw, but I need to understand a bit more about circuit breakers first....

In the pic attached, would I be right in thinking that the 'C16' indicates that it is a 16A circuit breaker and that the 240/415V means it can run off either 240 or 415V? Do any of the other markings mean anything significant?

I'll be wiring up the element to run off standard Irish Voltage (230/240 I think), so I think I need a 2 pole circuit breaker (correct?)....... I already have 3 or 4 of the MCB's from the pic, if I put two of them side by side (& tie the switches together) and run the live through one of them and the neutral through the other does this mean it will work as a 16A double pole circuit breaker??

Thanks for any help

Seriously, if you have to ask about tying them together, i think you'd better keep away from it and let a pro do it for you.

I'm not being smart but seriously.....tying 2 breakers together???????????

What leads you to believe that you need double pole breakers anyway?

The "C" on the breaker is to do with it's tripping characteristics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

philhway wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks for any help

OP I don't mean to be sarcastic but on the basis of what you have written there, you really need to get an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

+1 to the previous two posters.

Please find yourself a competent eletrician!

This is like the car salesman who said "if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it....". If you have to ask this question, you need a sparks!

Advertisement