Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Solar System is going to end!

Options
  • 22-07-2010 2:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/stars/death/

In around about 4 billion years. What are we going to do? We can't have a big Sun filling the sky surely. Perhaps we should tow the planet to another galaxy far far away at some stage in the not too distant future just to be sure?

Im relying on the fact some of you may care when the life longevity drugs are invented and people can't die...muhahaha

But anyway we need to start planning now for this eventuality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Phew! Still time for a fap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Doubt i'll be around for it,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

9th Chevron?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Dude, I know you like the hyper negativity stuff but 4 billion years? Relax, have some cake or something.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sure we're all going to die in 2012 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I've always found stellar photography fascinating. Here's an image of a White Dwarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Forget the sun going blamo!
    We should be more focused on this

8legs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My Galaxy ended right after lunch, with my second cup of tea.

Hmmm..... chocolate. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Forget the sun going blamo!
    We should be more focused on this

8legs.jpg

Can she accurately predict football results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That's gonna play havoc with property prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

The sun collapsing isn't the end of the galaxy, it's the death of a star. The flares and solar radiation given off by the expanding sun will destroy all life on earth long before the sun consumes us anyway....cheery thought. On the plus side estimates range from 4 - 7.5 billion years to formulate an escape plan. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

4 billion years is how old the planet is, so we're about halfway.
    Hope we go out with a bang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭stopusingoil

You think we'll still be living on this planet in 4 billion years? Sure civilization as we know it is in the process of complete collapse, population levels are out of control and the planets life support systems are being pushed over the edge. I'm more worried about what will happen in the next 40 years, never mind 4 billion!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not galaxy; solar system.

Of course, the galaxy is being eaten by a black hole, so that's on its way out soon (relatively speaking)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Have never liked galaxy bars tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

I can't wait, no more listening to Superman :D that prick can fúck off to another planet with a red sun and if he doesn't leave before it I think he will be in for an áss kick from The Batman

The sun is just one of something like 200 billion stars in our galaxy. Our Galaxy will end when we get eaten by the Andromeda Galaxy in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

I have a pain in me black hole with the doommongers on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Eh we have almost 4 billion years to work that one out and in that time people will have at least a million million things worry about first. I think you should turn your computer off for the day and have yourself some tea and jaffa cakes :)

I reckon due to pollution etc their won't be any human beings left on earth anyway so we won't notice it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

On the plus side estimates range from 4 - 7.5 billion years to formulate an escape plan. :pac:
    Knowing the human race, we'll still fuck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

darkman2 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/stars/death/

In around about 4 billion years. What are we going to do? We can't have a big Sun filling the sky surely. Perhaps we should tow the planet to another galaxy far far away at some stage in the not too distant future just to be sure?

Im relying on the fact some of you may care when the life longevity drugs are invented and people can't die...muhahaha

But anyway we need to start planning now for this eventuality.

I don't think you know what a galaxy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I have a pain in me black hole with the doommongers on here.

Do you work for BP?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ah it was good while it lasted I suppose.

Better to be concerned about more immediate problems.

If we get a solar storm similar to the one that happened in the 1850s then every electrical system on the planet would be fried. Not easy to replace and repair either when we've no power to do it.

We don't have much of a warning system for this either. At best we might know 15 minutes beforehand, but even that's not enough time to turn off the power plants to keep them safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

<Insert relevant pun pertaining to picture here>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

kylith wrote: »
    Not galaxy; solar system.

Of course, the galaxy is being eaten by a black hole, so that's on its way out soon (relatively speaking)

That's not true, the gravity of a black hole is the same as (actually slightly less than) the gravity of the star that it was, when you're a sufficient distance from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Galaxy = Billions of stars in a collective space.

Solar System = Collection of planets & other shíte surrounding a star.

So no.

But our Galaxy is going to collide with Andromeda in 4.5 billion years.

So yes, kinda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

We're also on a collision course with our nearest Spiral Galaxy, Andromeda. And at the same time there's always North Korea.

No matter what way you look at it we're fúcked!

dlofnep wrote: »
    Solar System = Collection of planets & other shíte surrounding a star.

That's a star system. Solar system only really pertains to our own star system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Won't bother me I will be in Heaven when it happens. Should be a busy day at the old pearly gates .

Advertisement