Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Solar System is going to end!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's a star system. Solar system only really pertains to our own star system.

A star system is a collection of stars bound by gravity.

Our solar system is a planetary system, which is what I was going to write - but this is AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Kasabian wrote: »
    Won't bother me I will be in Heaven when it happens. Should be a busy day at the old pearly gates .

Well in the gospel according to Belinda Carlisle we're told that heaven is a place on Earth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Well in the gospel according to Belinda Carlisle we're told that heaven is a place on Earth!

She's a charlatan and she wasn't at the last supper so I won't be placing much faith in her inaudible ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    That's not true, the gravity of a black hole is the same as (actually slightly less than) the gravity of the star that it was, when you're a sufficient distance from it.
    I'll have to rewatch the How the Universe Works about it, but the Milky Way is orbiting a supermassive black hole. My money's on it nomming everything in a few billion years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

The lack of astronomy knowledge is hilarious in this thread. It wouldn't be, so much so, if people didn't make idiotic statements that came directly from their black hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

darkman2 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/stars/death/

In around about 4 billion years. What are we going to do? We can't have a big Sun filling the sky surely. Perhaps we should tow the planet to another galaxy far far away at some stage in the not too distant future just to be sure?

Im relying on the fact some of you may care when the life longevity drugs are invented and people can't die...muhahaha

But anyway we need to start planning now for this eventuality.

omg, fúckturd.

Our SOLAR SYSTEM will cease to exist but our GALAXY will not. Our galaxy, the Milky Way contains billions of other stars. In 4 billion years time, if humanity still exists, we would probably have the technology to travel to and inhabit another planet in another solar system in this galaxy. The sun will die in a massive explosion called a supernova and most of the inner planet of the solar system, including Earth, will be destroyed. The shock wave will blow away the atmospheres of the gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune) and only their rocky cores will remain.

omg, fúckturd.

Our SOLAR SYSTEM will cease to exist but our GALAXY will not. Our galaxy, the Milky Way contains billions of other stars. In 4 billion years time, if humanity still exists, we would probably have the technology to travel to and inhabit another planet in another solar system in this galaxy. The sun will die in a massive explosion called a supernova and most of the inner planet of the solar system, including Earth, will be destroyed. The shock wave will blow away the atmospheres of the gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune) and only their rocky cores will remain.

The earth will be fried within a billion years. We won't make it that far.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    The sun is just one of something like 200 billion stars in our galaxy. Our Galaxy will end when we get eaten by the Andromeda Galaxy in a few years.

When and if the Andromeda and Milky Way galaxies collide, they will probably just merge into a larger galaxy, with little or no effects on our solar system.

dlofnep wrote: »
    The earth will be fried within a billion years. We won't make it that far.

I'd say in a million or two million years humans will master interstellar travel.

I'd say in a million or two million years humans will master interstellar travel.

Or kill each other in nuclear war. :)

But if we don't - I'd say we'll have mastered it within 1000 years or less. Maybe 500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Let's reproduce and eat!

When and if the Andromeda and Milky Way galaxies collide, they will probably just merge into a larger galaxy, with little or no effects on our solar system.

It would pretty cool though.. I always find these types of things amazing. The sheer scale of the universe and where it came from is just impossible to comprehend.
    So much energy but from where..

It would pretty cool though.. I always find these types of things amazing. The sheer scale of the universe and where it came from is just impossible to comprehend.

Chuck Norris ... it's been proven

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

every time i start to think about this my brain hurts.

and also, is there an edge? like after all the galaxies, does the universe just stop?. ah, my head

dannym08 wrote: »

and also, is there an edge? like after all the galaxies, does the universe just stop?. ah, my head

Space-Time is probably infinite in all directions but energy and matter are not infinite in our universe. Our universe would literally have an edge in that regard.

Space-Time is probably infinite in all directions but energy and matter are not infinite in our universe. Our universe would literally have an edge in that regard.

I think it's all just emptiness that is slowly being filled.. Altho the idea of the emptiness being infinite blows my mind a little bit.
    The other thing I find weird is that some day, all stars will eventually die and everything basically ceases to exist or matter.

I think it's all just emptiness that is slowly being filled.. Altho the idea of the emptiness being infinite blows my mind a little bit.
    The other thing I find weird is that some day, all stars will eventually die and everything basically ceases to exist or matter.

Technically energy can never be created nor destroyed so the energy will exist in some form or another. To find out more about the end of the universe, look into the 'Big Rip' theory.

It was created at some point.. Wonder if we'll ever know how..

dannym08 wrote: »

There are theories that multiple universes exist. Whether it be in different dimensions, or just so far away they are undetectable. Just like galaxies are seperated by great distances, universes could also be seperated by even greater distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Once Cowan gets wind of this, expect a Red Giant Tax - "We have to think of future generations".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Humans will not exist in 4 billion years. We will have wiped ourselves out or evolved into something else.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Humans will not exist in 4 billion years. We will have wiped ourselves out or evolved into something else.

Monkeys? Reverse evolution FTW. Life was so much easier back then.

Monkeys? Reverse evolution FTW. Life was so much easier back then.

Maybe in a thousand years time we will have the power to halt evolutionary process in human or engineer it's process so that we would actually end up smarter and stronger.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

There are theories that multiple universes exist. Whether it be in different dimensions, or just so far away they are undetectable. Just like galaxies are seperated by great distances, universes could also be seperated by even greater distances.

ok, but what would be beyond that edge. Like what is the Universe in. I realise no one has the answers, it just really boggles my mind

/nerd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The universe has no edge. Space is expanding faster than light travels. From any point the edge of the visible universe will be 45 billion light years away. If you set off from any point in the universe travelling at the speed of light towards the perceived edge, by the time you travel the 45 billion light years the edge will have moved more than 90 billion light years farther away from that point. You can never reach the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Technically energy can never be created nor destroyed so the energy will exist in some form or another.

The law of conservation of energy or the first law in thermodynamics is only really relevant when describing the observable universe. Prior to the big bang there was no space, no time, no gravity and therefore the known existence of certain phenomena and the ability to base prediction break down ie the first law of thermodynamics did not exist prior to the singularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    Have never liked galaxy bars tbh.
    What about milky ways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

You should be more worried about this.

That's a picture of the comet that may hit earth in 2036.

The chances are 1 in 250,000, but if we're going to be talking all doom and gloom lets get a bit more timely :p

Btw, before the solar system ends the sun will scorch the earth, eat us up and the sky will turn black because
    the acceleration of the universe will have gone on for so long
    that the light from the night stars will be too far away to ever reach us, hopeful :)

We won't, the cost would be astronomical,
    We'll probably end up being hit by a massive asteroid and become extinct like the dinosaurs

• Advertisement

You should be more worried about this.

That's a picture of the comet that may hit earth in 2036.

The chances are 1 in 250,000, but if we're going to be talking all doom and gloom lets get a bit more timely :p

Btw, before the solar system ends the sun will scorch the earth, eat us up and the sky will turn black because
    the acceleration of the universe will have gone on for so long
    that the light from the night stars will be too far away to ever reach us, hopeful :)

there is a 60-1 chance we could be hit in 2029, though its only the size of the twin towers, but it could devastate our country if it hits us, it will come within 19,000 miles of the earths atmosphere, thats lower than some satellites

Advertisement