Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Solar System is going to end!

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Science rocks!

In your face religion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Earth has about 500 million years left before the surface gets too hot to support life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Crosáidí wrote: »
    there is a 60-1 chance we could be hit in 2029, though its only the size of the twin towers, but it could devastate our country if it hits us, it will come within 19,000 miles of the earths atmosphere, thats lower than some satellites

60-1? Where did you read that?

Here is an old but really interesting 7 minute video of an astrophysicist talking about what would happen if the asteroid in 2029 hit us...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

• Advertisement

Yeah man that's from 2004, it was found that it wouldn't hit either the moon or earth in 2029 after observations post-2004,
    the wiki link I gave has the info there. 2036 is the 1-250,000 chance (at present).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Life will of moved onto other planets by it, be it in a human source or a completely different intelligent being all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Life will of moved onto other planets by it, be it in a human source or a completely different intelligent being all together.

Probably dolphins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Bah, wait for 1950DA in 2880. That'll be impressive.

Confab wrote: »
    Bah, wait for 1950DA in 2880. That'll be impressive.

Paint it!

An asteroid first spotted in 1950 has a maximum 1-in-300 chance of striking the Earth in the year 2880 scientists will report Friday in the journal Science.
    The odds, which might turn out to be zero, are for now greater than for any other asteroid ever determined to be a threat.

However, scientists are not worried; a little chalk, some charcoal, or perhaps a giant bucket of paint
    and the asteroid known as 1950 DA could be flung harmlessly off course if need be.

The trick lies in a strange natural phenomenon: solar-powered orbital mechanics.

The idea goes back to a scientific paper written by Russian engineer I.O. Yarkovsky a century ago and since lost.
    Yarkovsky is said to have proposed that the Sun warms an asteroid more on the "day" side than on the "night" side.
    The warmer side of the rock emits more thermal radiation, creating a slight difference in momentum that
    gently nudges the object in a manner similar to how a rocket is propelled.

Over hundreds of years, the movement can be significant, scientists say.

Neat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

pft typical and i'd just goy my hair the way i like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

sink wrote: »
    The universe has no edge. Space is expanding faster than light travels. From any point the edge of the visible universe will be 45 billion light years away. If you set off from any point in the universe travelling at the speed of light towards the perceived edge, by the time you travel the 45 billion light years the edge will have moved more than 90 billion light years farther away from that point. You can never reach the edge.

Yes, but if you're in an inertial frame of reference from an imaginary vantage point looking down on this expanding universe you will see an edge, but the edges are moving outward and expanding, imagine blowing up a balloon and watch it expand. You might never be able to reach the edge but this doesn't mean that there isn't an edge.

The law of conservation of energy or the first law in thermodynamics is only really relevant when describing the observable universe. Prior to the big bang there was no space, no time, no gravity and therefore the known existence of certain phenomena and the ability to base prediction break down ie the first law of thermodynamics did not exist prior to the singularity.

Yes, the law of energy conservation might not have existed as we know it before the big bang however how is that to say that it is not true now for long of billions of years into the future. How could the laws of physics break down in the future?

Crosáidí wrote: »
    We won't, the cost would be astronomical,
    We'll probably end up being hit by a massive asteroid and become extinct like the dinosaurs

Well, if people want to invest in the saving of the human species and if we have resources then if could be pulled off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Yes, the law of energy conservation might not have existed as we know it before the big bang however how is that to say that it is not true now for long of billions of years into the future. How could the laws of physics break down in the future?

Because if the universe were to change in some way, crunch or whatever, there would different circumstances to those we know today. The laws of observable physics only apply for as long as our current observable circumstances do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The Sun will expand perhaps a 1000 times it's size. It will take up the horizon. Everything will be incinerated but don't worry - it will leave behind something not as bright but just as heavy so the planets will still orbit but they will orbit a black dot and it will be cold and dark and it will be night all the time. (the dot will have exactly the same mass as our sun) It's a hellish vision but one that is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

darkman2 wrote: »
    The Sun will expand perhaps a 1000 times it's size. It will take up the horizon. Everything will be incinerated but don't worry - it will leave behind something not as bright but just as heavy so the planets will still orbit but they will orbit a black dot and it will be cold and dark and it will be night all the time. (

It will engulf and vapourise the 3 inner planets and maybe Mars too, never mind filling the horizon. It won't have the same mass, the Sun as it is, is ejecting billions of tonnes of mater into space every day.

The gas giants will be left and they will most likely drift further out as our star looses its mass.

darkman2 wrote: »
    The Sun will expand perhaps a 1000 times it's size. It will take up the horizon. Everything will be incinerated but don't worry - it will leave behind something not as bright but just as heavy so the planets will still orbit but they will orbit a black dot and it will be cold and dark and it will be night all the time. (the dot will have exactly the same mass as our sun) It's a hellish vision but one that is inevitable.

Don't worry, the Doctor will save us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I'm gonna go live in a forest like Robin Hood or something.

Haven't worked the specifics of it out yet, but that's my plan when things go tits up.

Mmmmm ... tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Because if the universe were to change in some way, crunch or whatever, there would different circumstances to those we know today. The laws of observable physics only apply for as long as our current observable circumstances do.

So circumstances can change that we don't know? We have to observe them. We only recognise this then. I agree with this post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I was watching a programme on the milky way and our galaxy etc and i was amazed at how much they just guessed things and used theory and not really cold hard facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looks like FF and the Greens will use any bit of spin to deflect our immediate attention from the ills of our nation.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

In context, with world will end 50,000,000 generations from now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was watching a programme on the milky way and our galaxy etc and i was amazed at how much they just guessed things and used theory and not really cold hard facts.
    Such as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

In order for reality to be, the universe has to have both been created and always in existence at the same time. This is an impossibility. Thus, reality is an impossibility. This is rational thought. However, accepting an impossibility as fact is irrational. Thus, you have to accept irrational thought as rational. Which makes irrational thought rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

60-1? Where did you read that?

Paddy Powers IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Do you even know what a theory is? Do you think a theory is just an idea that a single scientist has plucked out his @rse and thrown out there? Seriously? :confused:

A theory is the pinnacle of current scientific understanding. A hypothesis that has been modelled, examined, tested by hundreds, thousands, even hundreds of thousands of other scientists, sometimes over hundreds of years until it evolves and culminates into the best possible explanation that every piece of technology and every inquiring mind that ever investigated the phenomena in question can give us - a theory. There is no such thing as proofs anywhere but mathematics, if you are looking for 100% proofs anywhere else you are going to be sadly disappointed.

You'd be doing your argument and yourself a real favour and sparing some well deserved blushes if you came across as even remotely understanding what the terminology you are so eager to dismiss actually means. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

This thread reminds me of Carl Sagan's story about the time he gave a public lecture on this topic ...

Carl Sagan: And in about 5 billion years time, the Sun will expand outwards, incinerating the earth and destroying all life before collapsing inwards ...

Excited Man in audience: Dr Sagan, when did you say this will happen ?

Sagan: Approximately 5 billion years from now

Man: Thank God! I thought you said 5 million years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dlofnep wrote: »
    The earth will be fried within a billion years. We won't make it that far.

Given that we didn't know most of the stuff about space 200 years ago, chances are we'll have emigrated to Gilese or somewhere by then.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There'll be planty of extinction level events to wipe us out long before the red giant.

Advertisement