Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin Earley Tour of Kildare - August 8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's a good event and there is free food included at the end (a very good burger.) AFAIK the entire entry fee goes to the charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

i done this last few years not sure if i'll make it this year buts it normally a good day decent cycle with the bbq afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Any routes for it anywere? Couldn't find anything on the linked website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

In with wifey.

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote: »

Do you find the elevation charts on MapMyRide accurate? Anyone compare it to garmins etc?

Do you find the elevation charts on MapMyRide accurate? Anyone compare it to garmins etc?
    They are generally accurate as to the elevations but you need to bear in mind that they average gradient over quite a distance so you will generally experience ramps bigger than they quote.

Where it can get things very wrong is in places where there are tunnels; the data comes from a satellite and so it will plot the earth over the tunnel rather than the road through the tunnel. In very mountainous areas where there may be cliffs, etc if the GPS plot of the road is slightly off you can see issues with it having extreme gradients as it goes off the side of the cliff and back up again, etc.

Not generally a big deal in this country.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The general profiles are fine, but the ascent/descent and gradient figures tend to be significantly understated particularly over longer distances. You can get a much better idea of the actual figures, including gradients, by breaking the ride down into smaller segments (say 5km or so segments, and even shorter for steep hills)

So when I see a stretch on the elevation chart telling me it's 3%, in reality it could be a lot shallower. Still, it's probably not a bad guide to work on for the minute. Must invest in a GPS pod for the Suunto someday... Thanks for the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 skittles_10

Ive signed up to do the 100km this sunday, but im worried about what the pace may be.. im not cycling long, and this is my third charity cycle...what would the pace be, i did a 65km cycle last week in just under 3 hours...is that too slow? i dont want to be losing the pack, so if its a faster pace i was thinking maybe i would do the 50km instead...although i like the challenge of the 100km

• Advertisement

I did it a couple of years ago and found it quite fast. The start is neutralised until the first food stop just past Maynooth but after Maynooth, the hammer was really put down.

I'm not doing it this year, alas. Got other commitments on that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

i'll go i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Anyone know if you have to pre book or can u just turn up on the day?.
    Mike

mike12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone know if you have to pre book or can u just turn up on the day?.
    Mike

You can just turn up on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'll probably be on for this - good hammerfest training for the Etape Hibernia. Assume they'll only charge €5 for the day licence given the recent price change from UCI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Skittles, I have signed up for this aswell. This will be my first event, but I'm looking forward to it. I normally do about 55 k at a time but am going to give the 100 a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I'm in for this, doing it on 1970's Raleigh choppers with a few friends for a laugh, so only doing the 20k, decided I'll take it easy after last weeks Tour de Kilkenny.

lennymc wrote: »
    Skittles, I have signed up for this aswell. This will be my first event, but I'm looking forward to it. I normally do about 55 k at a time but am going to give the 100 a shot.
    Think 55 has been my longest cycle so far but was thinking of doing this as well is it fairly flat the hills kill me, think if i could stay with a group i'd be ok was thinking 50km which i can do easy,on your own would be like 75 in a group? So would have to struggle the last 25.
    Mike

penexpers wrote: »
    I did it a couple of years ago and found it quite fast. The start is neutralised until the first food stop just past Maynooth but after Maynooth, the hammer was really put down.

I'm not doing it this year, alas. Got other commitments on that day.
    Hi,
    What sort of distance is it neutralised for and what sort of pace is that.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'll be doing it. You can hang out with me at the back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Hi,
    What sort of distance is it neutralised for and what sort of pace is that.
    Mike

If I remember correctly from last year the first 35kms were neutralized which was quite boring actually, then it was a food stop (which was way too early for that but that's just me) and then hell broke loose. It's a fast route but don't try to hang with the first group if you can't cope with averaging 35+kms/h.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    If I remember correctly from last year the first 35kms were neutralized which was quite boring actually, then it was a food stop (which was way too early for that but that's just me) and then hell broke loose. It's a fast route but don't try to hang with the first group if you can't cope with averaging 35+kms/h.

This would tally with my experience - the food stop is the GAA club on the far side of Maynooth (~30kms according to MMR). Think it was neutralised to about 25km/h until the food stop. When it got going again, the lead group just flew off - there were a fair few stragglers though.

Hi,
    I presume its ok to do it on a Hybrid.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

thinking of doing the 100K, will they be setting a pace limit, or is it free for all!:

Hi,
    I presume its ok to do it on a Hybrid.
    Mike

Yeah it's grand to do on a hybrid.

Possedion wrote: »
    thinking of doing the 100K, will they be setting a pace limit, or is it free for all!:

penexpers wrote:
    the food stop is the GAA club on the far side of Maynooth (~30kms according to MMR). Think it was neutralised to about 25km/h until the food stop. When it got going again, the lead group just flew off - there were a fair few stragglers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I've just signed up.

ok, im feeling a bit happier about it now..ive been doing 65km cycles at a time on my own, so hopefully ill make it to the 100km. Im only new to this cycling thing, so ill be doing it on a hybrid at my pace :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

Any idea what the parking is like?

• Advertisement

Good question, this is my first time doing it...also is it possible for supporters to get the stop points? how many stop points are there? i know someone had said there is one at about 35km (which may be quite early) but is there anything after that? is every1 obliged to stop or is it just up to the individual...i think i would like to get as much distance done as possible before stopping for a break

Good question, this is my first time doing it...also is it possible for supporters to get the stop points? how many stop points are there? i know someone had said there is one at about 35km (which may be quite early) but is there anything after that? is every1 obliged to stop or is it just up to the individual...i think i would like to get as much distance done as possible before stopping for a break
    There is a second stop, yes. IIRC the last time I did it they made everyone stop at the first stop but not the second (and I didn't.) It was neutralised until the first stop with a lead car and then took off after.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

treborm wrote: »
    Any idea what the parking is like?

Park and Ride facility provided............:)

Planet X wrote: »
    Park and Ride facility provided............:)
    Can you park about half way into the route just as back up, seriously though is there sufficent parking in Naas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭mayan

As said previously,
    Its neutralised at an easy pace until 30 - 35 kms. Then everyone stops for tea and cake and then the group splits into the 50km route and the 100km route on leaving the car park. A few kms after that the pace car pulls off and the front group goes completely mental.
    I did'nt see another stop after that, but that's probably just cos I was only focused on the wheel in front, trying to hang on. As blorg, I'm sure I saw that there's another stop later.

Parking in Naas town is pretty bad to be honest, you're better off trying to car pool if you can.

Hope the weather stays dry......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Parking in and around Naas is a free for all. Plenty of on road,side streets etc around the town. Just get there early and you'll get a spot no problem. I arrived way too early last year but bagged a spot right outside sign on.:D

As for a second stop,I do recall stopping for some water along an open stretch of road around the Curragh somewhere. It was just a car parked up with a table set out with bars,fruit and water. Don't forget to leave room for the BBQ grub at the finish.;)

Not taking part this year,going to rest the legs for the 15th.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tax Man:)

Parking in and around Naas is a free for all. Plenty of on road,side streets etc around the town. Just get there early and you'll get a spot no problem. I arrived way too early last year but bagged a spot right outside sign on.:D

As for a second stop,I do recall stopping for some water along an open stretch of road around the Curragh somewhere. It was just a car parked up with a table set out with bars,fruit and water. Don't forget to leave room for the BBQ grub at the finish.;)

Not taking part this year,going to rest the legs for the 15th.
    I remember that one well! Was trying to chase on to another group on my fixie at that point. Besides that there was certainlt another full-on food stop before that. In a church or community centre I think.

blorg wrote: »
    I remember that one well! Was trying to chase on to another group on my fixie at that point. Besides that there was certainlt another full-on food stop before that. In a church or community centre I think.

Was chasing a group myself but gave up at that point.:p

what would every1 recommend for preparing for the cycle the day before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Yup I am going to do this too, just decided yesterday. I haven't not done 100k in about 2 years due to long-term injury. But I've done a few 65k's max since and Garmin tells me I average 26 - 28 km/h now so hopefully will finish the 100k in under 4 hrs.
    It'll be a chance to get the relatively new Lappiere Audacio a go on a real distance which never done before. Hopefully the weather be good tomorrow!

Can someone confirm that it does start at the Court Hotel in Naas? And if it's 9.30am start is it time enough turning up just before 9am (live close enough that I'll be cycling there so no travel/parking time needed)
    I have nevEr participated / competed in cycling in my life, only running, which made me turn to leisure cycling after running injury. Any tips of essential things I should bring? So far my mind tells me: Helmet, H20, GPS, sweets/sugar (Music allowed??), pump - i don't have mobile one hopefully if need one I could borrow at the time if needed? Anything else? Many thanks :-)

Good question Skittle... I only decided yesterday when leaving work that I would do it therefore no 'prep' done. I only did one cycle (50k) this week and nothing in 10 days before that. So what to do today? Maybe a short run something for the fitness, but not cycle I would think? But what would I know I'v never done a cycling event
    PS: Am I really silly going out without pump/puncture repair tomorrow?) The tubes in both wheels are quite new and I don't have pump (only large standing one)...

• Advertisement

lizanne83 wrote: »
    PS: Am I really silly going out without pump/puncture repair tomorrow?) The tubes in both wheels are quite new and I don't have pump (only large standing one)...

It's a bit silly because you can get a puncture anywhere for any reason (doesn't matter about the age of the tubes more the age of the tyres) and if you do get one, you could easily end up stranded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Thanks Penexpers... I know you're right. So have my repair kit and pump sorted now.

Going by what everyone saying here... I'll probably keep up fine avg 30 km/h up to the 1st stop around Maynooth... but if/when pace increases after that I'll just continue with my own pace. This to me won't be a race but I look forward to enjoying it :-)

Was meant to be doing with other half but that fell through few weeks ago :( so will be going it alone now just decided yesterday. Do people pair-up or group it? I'm only familiar with running events...which means going it alone as fast as possible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've room in the car for someone if anyone needs a lift from the Dun Laoghaire, Cabinteely, Blackrock area. I'm not bringing the rack so your bike will just be sitting on top of mine.

Send me a PM.

Does any1 know if you can listen to music while cycling...i usually have my ipod when going out on my own...just wondering if its allowed in big groups?

Not a good idea in a big group you need to concentrate fully, sure you'll probably be yapping away to whoever is beside you.;)

It's not really the done thing on big group rides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Great Day out for the ME TK today. Niceonetom, Daragh and myself all wearing our new kit. I think there was another new gear around as well. Met a few other undercover boardsies, Lizanne and her new Audacio, Velo, FrankGrimes, another boardsies who introduced himself at the start whose name I can't recall (quigley?) with the previous boards jersey.
    I had a good pace going but got slowed down by the couple of hills, a puncture, cramps in my left calf and a blister on my hand :P but it was more uncomfortable than handicapping ( I am such a moan )
    I enjoyed the cycle and even got to cycle in ME's wheels for a few minutes seconds ...
    Like last year, I thought the 1st 35km neutralized were a bit too slow.

completed the 100km today...first time doing it, and defo no a pro cyclist..or even just a cyclist...but i was delighted to finish and no injury's, apart from a bit of a sore bum:-) great day, and thankful the sun shone and made it an enjoyable cycle...well apart from "the wall"...didnt know wat to expect, and it was a bit of a surprise to say the least...but got over it, so its all good :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

For those of you desperate for the results: I came third.

:)

niceonetom wrote: »
    For those of you desperate for the results: I came third.

:)

how long did it take you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement