Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Cats

Options
  • 22-07-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My wife has her heart set on getting a Persian cat (which I also like).
    From what I know, these are more or less indoor cats. I'm just wondering about the practicalities of this.

Does it mean you always have to be freaked out about leaving windows and doors open?
    We have a young daughter, so I'm not sure if its possible to keep windows and doors closed all the time being realistic about it.
    Do people with indoor cats regularly have panics when the cat "escapes"?

Is there any way to limit them to the back garden without building fort knox out the back?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 brainer in disguise

I have a 14 weeks old indoor kitty and to be honest I keep an eye on her all the time. I can't leave bathroom doors open, she is messing with toilet paper, the same thing with windows, patio doors and fireplace.
    The only solution to her behaviour is water, if I see her anywhere she shouldn't be I immediately treat her with few drops of water and it works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't know specifically about Persians, but as someone who only gives limited access to outside to my cats, I can say it does take a bit of effort but it isn't impossible! :D Generally - yes, the cat will try to climb out open windows & doors, so you'll just have to get into the habit of keeping them shut. Sorry!

I'm lucky enough because my back garden has v. high walls so my cats can't escape from there. But there are systems you can get (or DIY) that you could put on top of a wall eg http://www.catfencein.com/

I'd say a Persian would be at risk from theft so keeping them in would be important - not to mention the hassle of trying to keep that long coat clean! Maybe just get a nice, rescue long-hair moggy instead!:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

My brother + family has 2 burmese cats that are indoor only. My Aunt lives in the country and has 2 that are in and out. The 2 inside ones you do have to be very careful with certain doors and windows but you can open others really depends on your own layout and how much the cat wants to escape. Of their 2 one trys to get out constantly the other doesn't.

With the outdoor cats they get on grand but the down side is they have been killed and injured in the past by venturing out on to the road like any other cat/dog. I wouldn't let them out in a built up area. My cousins were living in Cork City and they let there 2 Burmese out, one was killed on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My current pair are free to come and go and they do. Keeping them in before we move to make sure we have them is something we dread. Some cats get adept at opening windows....

I have kept indoor cats; you get used to the routine... They were pedigree Siamese..But in rural areas like this...

Ours are long hair rescues and would not swap them for anything, or keep them in full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I've heard (from a persian breeder) that because they've been selectively bred they've lost their instincts and have to be kept indoors. (Not sure how true that is, I know someone with a 15 year old persian indoor/outdoor cat that never got killed, but she also have 7 indoor only persians . . . ) Either way, it is safer for the cat, and if you've paid €600 for one you don't want it being stolen or getting lost/killed.

It would probably try to escape and wouldn't know the area so it would be dangerous if it escaped. You can get grill things to put in the window, or nets, so you can still open them without the cat escaping. I had an indoor only cat (living in an apartment in dublin so had to keep him in) but when I brought him home to my parents house he jumped out an upstairs window! He was ok and we caught him, but I wouldn't risk it happening.

And cats can adjust to being indoors, but make sure they have loads of toys, scratching posts, cat trees etc. And play with them lots and give them attention so hopefully they'll be ok. It'd also be great to get two, or even get a mongrel kitty to be his friend. :)

Also if I was you, I'd go for a doll faced persian, as opposed to the squashed face ones who always need their faces cleaned, some of them can't eat/drink properly or breathe properly (know two that can't!) and that can have health problems. And the doll faces ones are beautiful.

Oh and the same persian breeder said they need grooming everyday, so just be aware of it. I have a longhaired persian-like cat (don't know the parents) and he doesn't need brushing, but his fur isn't as long as a real persian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement