Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a decent zoom lens for Canon 450d

• 22-07-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I don't know much about lens' but I've been looking at the EF 75-300 lens and I've read reviews on it that says it's just an okay lens, nothing special.

Does anyone here have one that differs?

Or can anyone recommend me a better zoom lens to suit the 450d but in and around the same price range as the EF 75-300 lens.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I don't know much about lens' but I've been looking at the EF 75-300 lens and I've read reviews on it that says it's just an okay lens, nothing special.

Does anyone here have one that differs?

Or can anyone recommend me a better zoom lens to suit the 450d but in and around the same price range as the EF 75-300 lens.

Thanks. :)

The best lens in that price range is probably the Canon 55-250 IS.
    The Sigma 70-300mm APO is reasonably good if you can manage
    without IS. They go for €100 ish on eBay.

The Canon 70-300mm USM is very good, but it is quite a
    bit more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have the 55-250 IS on a 450d and it's a useful, if limited lens. There's only so often you need the focal range and without a bigger aperture, you can't always utilise it. With the 55-250 IS, I'm guessing you've more chance of getting a usable shot with the than you would with a 70-300 without IS. I've not used the 70-300 but without the IS I'm assuming it'd be harder get the shot in low light than with it.

Unfortunately for all of us, zoom lenses with large aperatures are bloody expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

hbr wrote: »
    The best lens in that price range is probably the Canon 55-250 IS.
    The Sigma 70-300mm APO is reasonably good if you can manage
    without IS. They go for €100 ish on eBay.

The Canon 70-300mm USM is very good, but it is quite a
    bit more expensive.

I'm liking the Canon 70-300 USM, the price isn't too bad here either. http://www.cameracentre.ie/lenses/canon/118/ef-70-300mm-f4-5.6-is-usm
    Sleepy wrote: »

Unfortunately for all of us, zoom lenses with large aperatures are bloody expensive!

That is certainly the problem, maybe it's more worthwhile if I actually wait until I can buy one with a larger aperature. Which could take a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

You could try the Tamron 18-270 3.5-6.3 IS. I swear by it as an everyday walkaround lens on my 450D. Has stabilisation. Costs about €500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Canon 70-200mm F4 L.

Circa €400 on the 2nd hard market.

One of Canon's finest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement