Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions please?

• 22-07-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong area but i'm wondering if all ye experts could give me yere honest opinions.
    I've put together an advert for a show magazine and i'm between 2 formats.
    So what do ye think? Do ye prefer the one with the red and black clouds in the background or the plainer one? Or would ye change it altogether?

Thanks a mil!

ECD7CD1231124A469ED8AA8C01E91DA1-800.jpg
    Red clouds

F865B819287A435199F7FF4E20DA8F53-800.jpg
    Plain red.

ETA: Just to add that this will be a full page advert in a newspaper style magazine. Specs are 262mm W x 370mm H

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd change it altogether. both backgrounds are too messy.
    also, i'd go for a plainer font for the smaller text; it would be easier to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Keep it far simpler, plain text, plain background, well presented photos, it's a bit of a visual hemorrhage as it is I'm afraid.

Try putting the text as;

Dogs Name
    Details
    Awards
    Contact Details

And in vertical order, there's no real need to have it spread out like that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Have you considered asking a designer to have a look at this for you? Not sure how much you're spending on the ad, but if you want to look professional it would help to employ one.

At the moment I have no idea what the ad is for, this may or may not be a problem in a trade magazine.

One thing I do think is that cutting your show dog in half (bottom right of sample 1) should probably be avoided. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Totally agree, the colours are way too intense.

The photo of the dog with the plaque is also cropped very very tight, you could probably improve on the crops of all the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Cool thanks a mil guys -

Eas the advert is for a Dog show magazine it's just literally show casing your dog - it's not selling anything. Does that make sense? Most of the adverts going in would be similar in format as in giving the dogs name and achievments.

Just to give you an idea of the ad styles you can find some by flicking through this online magazine of our dogs ireland http://www.mpldigital.com/our-dogs/our-dogs-ireland (not the magazine i'm advertising in but would have similar adverts)

The magazine do the advert for you if you want - it's included in the price but I just wanted to give it a go myself first!

I'll give it another go anyway and hopefully can come up with something more professional looking.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Youve used my favourite font so I cant complain there.

I dont like the background, I think overall it looks simple and dated. I would be more inclined to go for a more subtle background, I would also introduce drop shadown on the main text and possibly the images also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of fonts, i think the blue 3D effect on the dog's name is a bit incongruous looking.

Advertisement