Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am Getting my First Tattoo Next Month...

Options
  • 22-07-2010 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

After much pondering for over a year I've finally booked an appointment to get my first tattoo next month. I'm getting it done in JMDs in Waterford, they do excellent work (my brother gets all his done there).

I'm getting the design just below the back of my neck, it'll be roughly 6-8cm and is just black ink.

I'm just unsure of what to expect i.e how long it will take, the pain involved etc. If anyone would like to share their experiences and/or advice, I'd love to hear it. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

So no-one has nothing to share? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

How long it takes depends on how big and detailed it is - the artist is really the only person who can tell you.

With regards pain, it varies... I just have one tat, but I found the pain so so much easier to deal with than I thought it would be. I had visions of the needle dotting me or doing a line and then me wussing out!!
    But it's honestly fine. The outline is the toughest part, the shading in is easier. However, the longer the session goes on, the more painful it gets - I believe it's due to blood sugar levels dropping?
    So your best bet is to get a nice big breakfast into you (and lunch if it's a later session), and have chocolate and lucozade with you. Also, I found it helped LOADS to have a friend sit in on it with me, as it takes your mind off it and makes it more bearable.

Hope that helps :) I'm sure other posters with more ink and experience can add to it.

Thanks a million Jimmy, that's much appreciated. :D

No bother, I remember how scared I was for mine!! I've heard only brilliant things about JMD's so I'm sure you'll come out absolutely delighted :)

This thread has a few other answers ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055969517 ), this is a common worry so have a browse back through the pages, or use the search button. It'll also give you tips with regards how to mind it etc.

Best of luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

NicoleL88 wrote: »

I'm just unsure of what to expect i.e how long it will take, the pain involved etc. If anyone would like to share their experiences and/or advice, I'd love to hear it. :)

I don't know how useful this is, but these are my experiences.

I have three tattoos, and have had four sittings in total. The shortest being twenty or so minutes (for three red stars), and the longest being three hours (for a skull piece). My stars were my first ,and like you, I was very apprehensive. I felt like crap the entire time because I took a huge adrenaline dump because I was so excited. By the time I'd settled down, it was over.
    With the others, I found that it was fine for a few minutes and it hurts for the next while, then your body goes into a shock of sorts, . But after that, I always calm down, and after about twenty minutes it's grand- and actually, pretty relaxing. The worst part for me is definitely that first stage- I always sweat profusely! Though in saying that- in my last sitting I was 100 per cent fine the entire time, which i took as simply me not building it up in my head, and getting nervy.

Definitely bring a lucozade type drink with you though. If you do tend to get really nervous it'll really help if you get the sweats or feel faint. And don't overthink the whole experience, you'll have more chance of enjoying it.

Oh- and buy some Bepanthen in advance, if the tattoo shop doesn't sell it, you probably won't want to be shuffling about Boots afterwards.

I hope it all goes well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I just have one tattoo at the moment (another soon). It's around 4 or 5 inches long, 2 or 3 inches wide. It took around...hmmm 40 mins i'd say.
    I was expecting it to be a lot worse pain wise. The only time it hurt quite a bit was when he was going over my hip bone, but thats to be expected.
    The outline was much worse than the shading...i barely even felt the shading!

Don't stress yourself out too much over it, it's all over sooner than you expect:)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I have gotten a few tattoos and have found the pain to be terrible but then again i'm a wimp, and I have used a numbing cream on the area, it's only about €4 a tube and if you put it on bout an hour b4 you go to get your tattoo you won't feel any pain at least i didn't

kiersm wrote: »
    I have gotten a few tattoos and have found the pain to be terrible but then again i'm a wimp, and I have used a numbing cream on the area, it's only about €4 a tube and if you put it on bout an hour b4 you go to get your tattoo you won't feel any pain at least i didn't

To be fair, there are a lot of people who will argue against using that cream, but that's a different debate. I don't think it's a great idea recommending it really, but that's just my own opinion.

^^^
    Especially for the first tattoo I would think, as you'd have nothing to compare it against so it may be completely unneccessary. I think it's important to know how it feels having it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I didnt use it for my first tattoo and found the pain of it v bad and I have used it since. I am very bad with pain i will admit that but for me i have found it fab. But everyone's pain threshold is different so.......

• Advertisement

kiersm wrote: »
    I didnt use it for my first tattoo and found the pain of it v bad and I have used it since. I am very bad with pain i will admit that but for me i have found it fab. But everyone's pain threshold is different so.......
    ...it may be completely unneccessary. I think it's important to know how it feels having it done.

Michael is spot on. I'd actually missed the fact it's a first tat, so even more reason not to recommend to a first timer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

I'm getting my first tattoo at the minute. So far I've had 3 3 hour sittings. I was bricking it before I went in the first time. I barely felt the outline being done at all. The next time I went in I got some of the shading and colouring done and found that awful, I think I was just having an off day though because the next session was fine again. Some parts are nippier than others though. You'll be fine, the adrenaline will get you through it!

Thanks so much everyone, it's really interesting reading your experiences.

And I plan on not using any numbing cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

If you do find it very painful, just think that a short amount of time in pain is worth it for this beautiful piece of work that you will have forever!

Different places hurt more with different people. Don't judge what will happen based on others experiences. For example, my wrist tattoo didn't hurt at all but my sister's did. Different strokes for different folks!

Best of luck with it, I hope your happy!

My appointment has been moved forward to Thursday! Am so excited, will let ye all know how it goes. :D

My appointment has been moved forward to Thursday! Am so excited, will let ye all know how it goes. :D

Good luck with the sitting, hope it all goes well!

Cheers Michael, am getting a bit nervous now, just hope I'll be able to handle the pain. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Best of luck with it, in sure you'll be grand, I'm hopefully getting my first soon around my elbow and funny bone, a bit nervous about the funny bone myself.

Best of luck with it Nemanja! Try not to laugh and jiggle around when that gets done. ;)

HOLY BEEJABUS that was painful!! But totally worth it :D

Took just over an hour, am really pleased!

dharma1.jpg

dharma2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Very cool tattoo..

well done! won't be long before you get the bug to have another one done.. :P

Told the very nice man in JMD's "I'll be back!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

"Dude, that's awesome!" - Hurley

:D
    I love that tattoo :D Had been considering something similar myself, but never developed the idea. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CAZ85

i got a tattoo on the back of my shoulder.... just black ink... similar in size.. it took about 20 mins. i didnt experience any pain at all. it was just like a vibrating sensation on my shoulder.

Hope it goes well for you:)

Told the very nice man in JMD's "I'll be back!" :D

Gah, a cheap one for sure!

Looks really sharp, well done for sitting through it. Make sure to post a pic when it's healed!

Can imagine the bug has definitely bit ye for another..

Advertisement