Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got a mail from Fota Island...

• 22-07-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

...or actually someone called studio82media on Flickr. Basically she wants to use one of my photographs for Fotas quarterly members magazine. They want the full Hi-Rez image.

I'm more than happy to let them use it, as I love Fota Island, but just thought I'd check if anyone has had this happen to them before, as it's pretty much just come out of the blue.

From what I can find on Google, Studio82 is a sort of design/publishing company. Anyone here ever dealt with them, seems to be on the level, but just want to be sure?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Never heard of them, and it sounds good, depending on their terms for use of your image.

Hopefully you'll get something in return - payment, a free access pass or something of value to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Is it possible that Fota paid these guys to do it and now these guys are just trying to save money?

Free pass as PaulW said might swing it though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

mrboswell wrote: »
    Is it possible that Fota paid these guys to do it and now these guys are just trying to save money?

Free pass as PaulW said might swing it though...

This is the crowd that are doing it: http://www.studio82.ie/

Seems to be all above board, but doesn't look like they're actually affiliated with Fota, so there will probably be no payment involved I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

gloobag wrote: »
    This is the crowd that are doing it: http://www.studio82.ie/

Seems to be all above board, but doesn't look like they're actually affiliated with Fota, so there will probably be no payment involved I'd say.

You can be 100% certain that they are being paid by Fota. And paid well at that.

Why not ask them? And while you're at it, ask them how much they had in mind for your pic of Fota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

As above if they are not affiliated then they will be paid for their work. I would ask what renumeration package they had in mind or were they expecting free use, if they say they want it for free ask them do they work for free!

Last time I got a phonecall from a newspaper asking for an image for free I asked the girl on the phone what her job was, she said she was a journalist, I asked did she get paid, she said yes so I informed her that I also expect to get paid for my work and I doubted she would write her stories for free. The conversation ended there, her work could not be completed without the image, if she didnt want to pay for it, tough cookies.

It is nice to have your work requested for use alright, but if it is for commercial activity there is no way I woulld be offering it for free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

see if you can get a free pass off them....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can be sure the members pay for their membership, and that the magazine is part of their return on their membership fees. since fota itself is probably not a charity, i see no difference to you getting a call from dublin zoo's PR people asking you to contribute for free to dublin zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ksapwaff

This is becoming much more regular with design companies trawling Flickr looking for images that would be suitable for their work and then chancing their arm looking for them for free. If they come across someone who is delighted to see his pic in a brochure then they've hit the jackpot. They get free pics so they make even more money as they don't have to pay for stock while the photographer sits at home glowing after helping some company he never heard of make more money while he gets nothing as his "credit" invariably doesn't even exist as the photographer is very rarely named or credited in any brochure.
    I've had numerous requests through flickr for images and every time I have outlined the cost for usage I have had zero responses. Even as a test I priced one image at $1 for unlimited usage when I got an email from a US company. They never got back to me either!!! :) Free beats $1 every time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Maybe she has a figure in mind.
    I'd give her a ring and ask Michelle how much she charges for design of a 1 page advertorial including photos.
    I'm sure she'll have a big figure for you. Pick a percentage and ask for that.;)

It really is up to you if you wish to give your photo for free, but I believe you should get some remuneration and a credit on the photo.

Everybody else gets paid, but a lot of people seem to think photography is just for fun and that:
    " sure isn't it great to see your picture in print! Why would you want to get paid as well?"
    Another thought:
    Maybe you could ask her to buy you a new ZOOm lens:)

Advertisement