Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do ducks babysit?

Options
  • 22-07-2010 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Kinda weird questions but i've googled this to no avail, basically I was walking through a park beside a pond that I walk past every morning but this morning it was especially early and all the adult ducks appeared to be asleep except for one that had around 30 baby ducks of varying sizes following him/her. I've seen these baby ducks with their respective mothers but in this case he/she was just leading them around the pond while the rest of them slept.

It then raised the question in my head whether ducks look after other baby ducks while the other rest?

Anyone able to shine some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

requiem1 wrote: »
    Kinda weird questions but i've googled this to no avail, basically I was walking through a park beside a pond that I walk past every morning but this morning it was especially early and all the adult ducks appeared to be asleep except for one that had around 30 baby ducks of varying sizes following him/her. I've seen these baby ducks with their respective mothers but in this case he/she was just leading them around the pond while the rest of them slept.

It then raised the question in my head whether ducks look after other baby ducks while the other rest?

Anyone able to shine some light on this?

Yes, they do. Isn;t is wonderful?

They also nest-share when incubating the eggs, which does not always work out.

They also "visit" a sitting duck in the evening, drake included, and rearrange her bedding to make sure she is snug, for all the world like family visiting in hospital.

They have a wonderful social structure do ducks; they could rule the world.. Community spirit..

I kept them for several years and learned a huge amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's really sweet. :) I'd love to keep ducks as pets someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I knew somebody once who had a pet duck and it slept in the kennel with their springer spaniel. They were the best of mates. :D
    Wish I had taken a photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

ahh thats so cute..If only the human race could learn something from them the world would be a better place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

And AFAIK, they mourn the death of another duck. One of the only few to do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

There was an article in the Daily Mail a few months ago about a duck babysitting nearly 30 ducklings! The pictures were gorgeous. I just tried to find it there but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes, they do. Isn;t is wonderful?

They also nest-share when incubating the eggs, which does not always work out.

They also "visit" a sitting duck in the evening, drake included, and rearrange her bedding to make sure she is snug, for all the world like family visiting in hospital.

They have a wonderful social structure do ducks; they could rule the world.. Community spirit..

I kept them for several years and learned a huge amount.

too bad about the rampant rape.

(seriously, I'm not making it up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Xiney wrote: »

(seriously, I'm not making it up)

And there is nothing social or altruistic about their creche or nesting habits. It's purely to ensure survival of their eggs or chicks. They will lay in the nest of ohters to save themselves having to rear the young.

I think I'll settle for human community spirit before I go for that found in Ducks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Even worse when a drake takes a fancy to hens or geese or your feet :D.

Mother Nature does not have a romantic view on her animal kingdom. To apply human *standards* to animals is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Cutest thread EVER (well, until the bit about rape) QUACK!

1271629721176.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Xiney wrote: »

ducks-theyll-gang-rape-your-ass-demotivational-poster.jpg

Advertisement