Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Salaries v RTE Salaries

• 22-07-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

It's gas isn't it? Moyles pulls in 8.5million listeners AND works through most of the summer for less than £500,000 per year. Here the boys in Montrose are pulling salaries from €400,000 up, pulling in 10% of that listenership and f*** off for eight to ten weeks holidays!
    From Metro.co.uk
    Radio One motor mouth Chris Moyles celebrated his record run on the BBC breakfast show yesterday after his £494,000-a-year contract was extended for another year.
    Chris Moyles' Radio One contract has been extended
    Sounding relieved, Moyles told his 8million listeners: ‘The contract is now finally done, which is very exciting.’

He broke the news on Tuesday afternoon when he tweeted: ‘Evening all. I might treat myself to a few drinks tonight as it’s warm and the contract at work is now done. Twelve more months of early starts!’
    The deal means Moyles, 36, continues his run as the longest-serving breakfast show host after he took over from Sara Cox back in 2004.

The news dispels rumours he was to be axed and replaced by a younger successor.

The star tweeted: ‘The reports of my (radio) death are greatly exaggerated’.

Moyles has settled for a 20 per cent drop in pay as part of a BBC cost-cutting exercise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Same as it ever was, RTE will have to continue to cut salaries cos they will not get an increase in their licence for years to come. It'll interesting to see who jumps ship, cos they keep threatening to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

mike65 wrote: »
    Same as it ever was, RTE will have to continue to cut salaries cos they will not get an increase in their licence for years to come. It'll interesting to see who jumps ship, cos they keep threatening to do so.

Jump where though? less people are paying their licence fees (can't afford etc) and you're right they won't see an increase in the fee for some time but what commercial operator will take them at the wages they're getting?

Screw it if I was the DG straight 30% cut across the top thirty presenters wages in both TV & Radio & they'd still be getting too much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Spot on there bro.

make that 40%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Let them jump! No bungee cord either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PFL wrote: »
    Jump where though?

Nowhere of course! My syntax was'nt great. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

It's gas isn't it? Moyles pulls in 8.5million listeners AND works through most of the summer for less than £500,000 per year. Here the boys in Montrose are pulling salaries from €400,000 up, pulling in 10% of that listenership and f*** off for eight to ten weeks holidays!

There would be a lot of broadcasters in the UK who get far more than what Moyles gets and very few in Ireland who get that range, even if they are quiet well paid. How many in RTE command that much? Kenny, Tubs and Marion?

Incidentally, Moyles wage doesn't include any of his TV work for Channel 4, it's just for one show.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    There would be a lot of broadcasters in the UK who get far more than what Moyles gets and very few in Ireland who get that range, even if they are quiet well paid. How many in RTE command that much? Kenny, Tubs and Marion?

Incidentally, Moyles wage doesn't include any of his TV work for Channel 4, it's just for one show.

It's not a case of how many command the wages of Kenny Tubs Marzie, it's a case of why the fook are they getting that salary?

The UK has upwards of 60 million people,we have 4.5.

The markets are totally different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

The markets are totally different.
    Absolutely. Plus they use this crap argument that if RTE don't pay these exorbitant sums the 'talent' will leave. Rubbish! Where would they go? No other Irish station could/would pay the kind of dosh they're on at the moment. And let's face it none of them could head across the water and command anything like what they get here as they are unknown. Can you really see Marian Finucane stuttering her way through a programme on Five Live or Radio 4 and getting 600k a year? Or Pat Kenny being headhunted? Now? at his age? Or Joe Duffy? No chance. Ryan Tubridy could possibly get a foot in the door at the Beeb but he'd need to move soon.

All this stuff about Grainne Seoige being offered a million by ITV as a showbiz/features correspondent for their new breakfast show is rubbish. Their current front people ar only on 150k to 250k per year. She's on a max of 250k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

It's not a case of how many command the wages of Kenny Tubs Marzie, it's a case of why the fook are they getting that salary?

I'm actually not justifying any RTE presenter getting the salary that they do. I agree than as a whole they are grossly overpaid overall. However, a different perspective needs to be made here for a moment because, as you say, they are different markets in many ways.

No RTE presenter gets the same amount of a wage as Moyles and certainly for doing just one radio show as he does for the BBC. Indeed Moyles is more than likely not the only presenter in the UK to get this sort of money for his show so doubtless guys like Chris Evans or Chris Tarrant make a lot more again. And if BBC had him on a TV show, he would be getting way, way more.

BBC Radio One and Two presenters also have the luxury of no national commercial broadcasters on FM to compete for a market share against save for Classic FM and the talk AM stations; had they a Today FM and Newstalk on FM as well the 8.5 million would be somewhat lower. RTE also have the yardstick of ad revenue that their big guns bring in to base high salaries on.

Lastly, it's worth repeating that the "Wage" paid to Pat Kenny etc is actually a fee paid to their relevant media company for their services to provide a show. As with any company, they'd have their usual costs etc to be covered so actual salary's would be far less than is stated in the print media. I understand that Derek Mooney is the highest paid of the actual RTE presenters who is a RTE employee.

And once again, I do think they are overpaid in RTE. Just giving it some balance, that's all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I'm actually not justifying any RTE presenter getting the salary that they do........

No RTE presenter gets the same amount of a wage as Moyles and certainly for doing just one radio show as he does for the BBC.

No. Some RTE people got MORE! Marian Finucane got €570,000 in 2007 increased in 08, reduced slightly in 09 but up again this year, Pat Kenny got €922,949, Joe Duffy got marginally less than Moyles at €408,889 for just six hours and fifteen minutes on-air per week over a 40 week period. In effect that means Duffy got more than Moyles!!

Source: http://www.rte.ie/ten/2009/1009/rte.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Pat Kenny isn't on that wage anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I think RTE should say "We're cutting your pay in half, you don't do enough work to deserve it, and if you don't like it, fook off!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Lastly, it's worth repeating that the "Wage" paid to Pat Kenny etc is actually a fee paid to their relevant media company for their services to provide a show. As with any company, they'd have their usual costs etc to be covered so actual salary's would be far less than is stated in the print media.

If you don't mind, Ham'nd'egger, if we could just tease this point out a little bit. As I understand it, the fee is paid to the media company for the exclusive use of whichever star it is but it is only for the talent - not for providing the show.
    The producers, researchers, technical facilitites etc are all then provided by RTE.
    RTE are effectively buying a voice, intellect,presenting skills and profiled persona - not a whole show, that cost has yet to be added.

Spot on Mr Timmy, it's all a scam to fleece the licence payer.

Bottom line.... these geezers are ripping off the general public like there was no tomorrow.

And nobody will shout stop.

Except gimps on internet forums.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

If you don't mind, Ham'nd'egger, if we could just tease this point out a little bit. As I understand it, the fee is paid to the media company for the exclusive use of whichever star it is but it is only for the talent - not for providing the show.
    The producers, researchers, technical facilitites etc are all then provided by RTE.
    RTE are effectively buying a voice, intellect,presenting skills and profiled persona - not a whole show, that cost has yet to be added.

The small print in the document where RTE publishes it's top 10 earners confirms what you are saying.

http://www.rte.ie/about/top10payments_2004.pdf

Note 5: Definition of cash payments basis

Contractors: the amount shown represents the payments made by RTE to the contractor during the relevant period, excluding VAT, for presenter services, irrespective of the period to which the payment relates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

Vincent Browne let it slip last night how much he is on with TV3, €54k.
    Can you imagine anyone in RTE accepting that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

delux wrote: »

54,000, i would have thought he would be on more than that. 4 nights a week for what is a very popular show. i think he might be re-negioating that next time round $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Shane10 wrote: »
    54,000, i would have thought he would be on more than that. 4 nights a week for what is a very popular show. i think he might be re-negioating that next time round $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Vinny is TV3's best asset at the moment, don't know why they dont give him an earlier slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

Poly wrote: »
    Vinny is TV3's best asset at the moment, don't know why they dont give him an earlier slot.

defo i do really enjoy his nightly shows, id say his viewership figures must be getting bigger and bigger. Maybe push it back to 10pm, the 11pm timeslot is borderline for some people for getting up next moring for work i suppose. i usually pack it in once he gets to the papers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

delux wrote: »
    That figure is after tax and whatever debts from his various failed business ventures he has. He writes for two newspapers in addition to his TV3 show, there's no way that is all he gets paid. He's on well over a 100k, maybe as much as 200. I like Vincent but that was very disingenuous of him. It doesn't really matter though as he is not paid by the state. How much TV3, the IT and the SBP want to pay him is their business. Carey didn't have any right asking him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I heard him say 54k, but I have a suspicion that figure is net after tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I heard him say 54k, but I have a suspicion that figure is net after tax.

i think he said something like "I get 54,000 into my bank" - so you are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I was listening to the Gay Byrne on Lyric a few weeks ago and he mentioned that he was on £100 a week from Granada TV back in the late 50's.The media always seem to overpay people.When you think radio broadcasting isn't rocket science.Look at the amatures who got a chance on the radio and without any experience or training they did the job as good as the overpaid Finunchan ,Tubridy, Duffy.,I'm referring to Eamon Dunphy,Matt Coooper,Ivan Yeates.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bosch

I have to laugh when I hear the usual highly-paid presenters crowing about the recession, about how terrible it is these days...

It's shocking but the Irish public seem blind to the fact that poor unfortunate citizens, often with nowhere else to vent, are often desperate enough to ring up a radio talk show, complain about having a few euros cut from his/her pension or wage, and the highly paid presenter will sympathize, tut-tut on how terrible the situation is, yet in their case, get three grand for the hour of sitting on their backside in a warm studio, all at our expense.

And where are the calls in the papers for drastic cuts in media wages? Nowhere.

Gotta love it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Bosch wrote: »
    I have to laugh when I hear the usual highly-paid presenters crowing about the recession, about how terrible it is these days...
    Yeah. Marian Finucane was nauseating this morning with her faux empathy with the "poor" people. Tubridy does the same and that sickens me more. He's trying to "run with the hare while hunting with the hounds" so to speak. With his brother and cousins etc all heavily involved with FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Some presenters on BBC digital only stations like the Asian network and 1xtra are on as little as £25 an hour.

£25 an hour. On a national, BBC radio station.

Can you imagine a jock on 2FM accepting that money?

RTE "talent" are deluding themselves if they think they can earn anywhere close to their RTE salaries in the commercial sector. If Ryan Tubridy, Lorraine Keane etc tried to get a job as a TV presenter on the BBC they'd be laughed out of the building.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

eth0_ wrote: »
    Some presenters on BBC digital only stations like the Asian network and 1xtra are on as little as £25 an hour.

£25 an hour. On a national, BBC radio station.

Can you imagine a jock on 2FM accepting that money?

RTE "talent" are deluding themselves if they think they can earn anywhere close to their RTE salaries in the commercial sector. If Ryan Tubridy, Lorraine Keane etc tried to get a job as a TV presenter on the BBC they'd be laughed out of the building.

aren't some of the rte digital only national stations staffed by similar people?

Lorraine Keane is the TV3 one isn't she, not RTÉ?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

copacetic wrote: »
    aren't some of the rte digital only national stations staffed by similar people?

BBC digital radio has a much larger audience than digital radio in Ireland. Sure it's virtually impossible to get any RTE DAB station outside of major cities and towns.
    Lorraine Keane is the TV3 one isn't she, not RTÉ?:confused:

Yes, sorry - was just comparing Irish presenters in general to those on the BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Some, if not all, of the jocks on the digital stations are not paid at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bard wrote: »
    Some, if not all, of the jocks on the digital stations are not paid at all.

well they should be paid even less! etc etc. rabble, rabble, rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

eth0_ wrote: »
    BBC digital radio has a much larger audience than digital radio in Ireland. Sure it's virtually impossible to get any RTE DAB station outside of major cities and towns.

The RTÉ digital only radio channels can also be heard nationwide on DTT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

PFL wrote: »
    Jump where though? less people are paying their licence fees (can't afford etc) and you're right they won't see an increase in the fee for some time but what commercial operator will take them at the wages they're getting?

Screw it if I was the DG straight 30% cut across the top thirty presenters wages in both TV & Radio & they'd still be getting too much money.

Heres a way to for RTE to increase revenue from license holders: simply charge people via their UPC bill instead of leaving it up to them to pay at their own leisure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

On The Right Hook, Brian Lenihan said he expects the £250,000 cap on pay in the public sector to apply to RTE as well. It wouldn't be applicable until existing contracts would be up for renewal, but Kenny, Finucane, Tubridy...etc could be looking at fairly hefty cuts. Whether it will actually be enforced remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

That Joe Duffy thinks he is a man of the people yet get's paid over €400,000. What a joke.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Worztron wrote: »
    That Joe Duffy thinks he is a man of the people yet get's paid over €400,000. What a joke.
    And Ms Finucane thinks she can reflect the views of "ordinary people".

Her journalistic credibility is out the window. I heard her pass remarks about bankers and I thought - Who the hell is she to comment on the scandalously overpaid.

I maintain this is NOT A JOKE. This is appalling behaviour on the part of RTE Management.

bureau2009 wrote: »
    And Ms Finucane thinks she can reflect the views of "ordinary people".

Her journalistic credibility is out the window. I heard her pass remarks about bankers and I thought - Who the hell is she to comment on the scandalously overpaid.

I maintain this is NOT A JOKE. This is appalling behaviour on the part of RTE Management.

The RTÉ management are a load of hob nob snobs. Look at their best paid muppet - Pat 'The Plank' Kenny. An utterly pointless garden grabbing twit.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Does anyone know what kind of pay todayfm/Newstalk presenters are paid? Just curious, would be interesting to compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

The RTÉ management are a load of hob nob snobs. Look at their best paid muppet - Pat 'The Plank' Kenny. An utterly pointless garden grabbing twit.

at least Kenny has a brian and a bit of credability, the likes of Tubs, Finucane, Mooney & des cahill getting paid obscene amounts is shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Most people have probably refused to pay, and rightly so IMO, the licence fee because what they see RTE paying their "Stars", that's notwithstanding those who can't afford to pay it anymore due to their dire financial circumstances.

It's high time RTE get real and cut those massive salaries to a much more realistic level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Every 'talent' in RTE who is earning over 150k should be brought in and told, "listen, the country is in a mess, the people pay your salary and we get Gov funding, so you're getting cut again I'm afraid. You are being capped at €150,000".

If they don't like that, they can leave and find another set of mugs who will pay them €400k+ for doing what is an relatively easy job. You listening Joe?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Every 'talent' in RTE who is earning over 150k should be brought in and told, "listen, the country is in a mess, the people pay your salary and we get Gov funding, so you're getting cut again I'm afraid. You are being capped at €150,000".

If they don't like that, they can leave and find another set of mugs who will pay them €400k+ for doing what is an relatively easy job. You listening Joe?

100k should be more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Look at their best paid muppet - Pat 'The Plank' Kenny. An utterly pointless garden grabbing twit.

What?! PK's the best presenter, and interviewer, on daytime RTE 1. (note my qualifications)

He may allow his own views to intrude frequently but it seems impartiality is optional for RTE staff.

Advertisement