Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me with a training plan please.

• 22-07-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hello all, cycling newbie here. Training to do a 90 km cycle at the start of Sept. Mightn't seem that great a distance for ppl of this forum but my level of fitness is poor enough at the moment.

Been cycling whenever i've got a chance the last few weeks, doing 15-30km every couple of days but really wanna get into it now. Have no work for the next few weeks so was hoping someone could tell me the best way to build up my fitness and endurance for the event. (e.g distances and times I should be doing each day)

Doing most my training on a gym bike at the moment and on a regular mountain bike at times (hoping a friend can sort my with and old road bike of his)

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated, hoping to stick to the cycling when this is all over. Cheers :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Hello all, cycling newbie here. Training to do a 90 km cycle at the start of Sept. Mightn't seem that great a distance for ppl of this forum but my level of fitness is poor enough at the moment.

Been cycling whenever i've got a chance the last few weeks, doing 15-30km every couple of days but really wanna get into it now. Have no work for the next few weeks so was hoping someone could tell me the best way to build up my fitness and endurance for the event. (e.g distances and times I should be doing each day)

Doing most my training on a gym bike at the moment and on a regular mountain bike at times (hoping a friend can sort my with and old road bike of his)

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated, hoping to stick to the cycling when this is all over. Cheers :rolleyes:

If you're in around Dublin, come along to the saturday spin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I'm by no means an expert but from my own experience: for a one off 90k; if you can do a little over that, maybe even 60/65km, fairly comfortably, you could do it fairly well on the day by eating often, lots of high energy and sustainable food and by steadily pacing yourself. If there's others in a similar disposition around you to keep up your spirits and momentum and with a couple of breaks... it'll hurt a bit but you'll be laughing at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well done on your decision to take up cycling and 90km is a noble distance to aim at. I hope you realise that as soon as you do it you'll curse your luck as you will want to get the magical 100km under your belt, then there is the 100 mile distance and sure if you hit that then you gotta get to 200km, once you hit this you'll be going to be addicted anyway so you'll want to go on to 300k+km audax events ending your year by touring Europe.... all that from 15/30 km spins:D

I guess the top tip to training is avoid injury, an increase of 10% a week should be a maximum increase in work. The big mistake is to return home after a 30km spin and decide to do 50km on the next outing. While you will be able to do it you are risking pulled muscles, knee injuries, saddle sores and other pains which will delay your training and may make you lose interest in cycling altogether.

Also vary your route, you can easily get board of a route and lose interest. If you are happy with your route maybe vary it now and again with hills just to test you.

Get the road bike sorted out too, it will make life a lot easier and also as you are a newbie to the whole thing you will need time to adjust to the new position and cycling style as well as get the settings right for you

Keep at it! it sounds like your doing very very well:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

In a similar situation OP, i take it that it's the picnic run. Hope your training goes well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

If it is the Tour de Picnic, the guys in 2wheels have put up a training plan: http://www.2wheels.ie/?p=981 Might be of some use to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

lots of good advice so far. Id just add, from personal experience, not to neglect stretching after spins and to do some core exercises/swimming

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Was in the very same situation myself earlier in the year going from small spins to the W100. If it's any consolation, I noticed a massive difference moving from the mountain bike to a more roady hybrid. Also, as a newbie, get someone who knows bikes to help you set optimal saddle and handlebar positions. If you're anything like I was starting out, your saddle is too low, and your wasting tons of energy. The other essential piece of kit is halfway decent cycling shorts and the cream that goes with them. Outside of that, asking questions regularly on forums like this whenever you hit a problem pays dividends.

Most of all, enjoy it, and take it at your own pace. Assuming the 90k isn't any kind of race, take your time and enjoy the scenery, you'll have no bother.
    I hope you realise that as soon as you do it you'll curse your luck as you will want to get the magical 100km under your belt, then there is the 100 mile distance and sure if you hit that then you gotta get to 200km, once you hit this you'll be going to be addicted anyway so you'll want to go on to 300k+km audax events ending your year by touring Europe.... all that from 15/30 km spins

Now if you could just come over to my place and explain that to my wife... ;)

Advertisement