Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnesium Chloride?

Options
  • 22-07-2010 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a large supply (maybe 10+ Kgs) of magnesium chloride - would anyone know anywhere in Donegal (or Derry or Tyrone) where I could get some? Apparently, it's a dry product available at Equestrian/Agricultural suppliers- something they put in the water for the horses, I believe.
    I want it for my bath - it's a great source of transdermal magnesium and works miracles for sore muscles and joints. You can buy it as a branded product, but the cost is prohibitive - unless you can squeeze yourself into a baby bath (which I most definitely can't :D)

*given the humour round here today, I await the comic responses*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Domscard wrote: »
    I'm looking for a large supply (maybe 10+ Kgs) of magnesium chloride - would anyone know anywhere in Donegal (or Derry or Tyrone) where I could get some? Apparently, it's a dry product available at Equestrian/Agricultural suppliers- something they put in the water for the horses, I believe.
    I want it for my bath - it's a great source of transdermal magnesium and works miracles for sore muscles and joints. You can buy it as a branded product, but the cost is prohibitive - unless you can squeeze yourself into a baby bath (which I most definitely can't :D)

.*given the humour round here today, I await the comic responses*

Sounds wonderful.. now if I had a bath here might try it..

Problem is.. no bath and no working shower, as at the last house too. Haven't had a bath for years....

Try the creameries, or one of the equestrian centres; ballyshannon? Have you googled it also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

You could try it in a foot bath or basin Graces7 - magnesium is effectively absorbed through the skin and we're all deficient because of our depleted soil. Yes, I've Googled it and no luck for anywhere local but I'll keep trying. I make a type of magnesium enriched drinking water and it's very calming and soothing - good for insomnia too. Just don't take too much at once or you'll be up visiting the wee room a bit too frequently ;)

Is it the same as Epsom salts?

Magnesium is easy to buy in tablet form and cheap at ASDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Graces7 wrote: »
    Is it the same as Epsom salts?

Magnesium is easy to buy in tablet form and cheap at ASDA.

There is some magnesium in Epsom salts - also in Dead Sea salts - I often combine the two for a long soak. I get 10kg buckets of both online at a reasonable price. For an effective bath you need at least 1kg, so price is an important aspect. Bought in a chemist or health shop, 1kg can be up to €10 - a lot of money down the drain (so to speak).
    The magnesium tablets you buy in places like Asda are usually magnesium oxide - very poor bioavailability (approximately only 4%). Better types, like magnesium citrate or malate, are still cheap if you can find them. Best of all apparently is the magnesium chloride, both to ingest and to soak. I'd just be soaking in the stuff I'd buy here, I think :)

Domscard wrote: »
    There is some magnesium in Epsom salts - also in Dead Sea salts - I often combine the two for a long soak. I get 10kg buckets of both online at a reasonable price. For an effective bath you need at least 1kg, so price is an important aspect. Bought in a chemist or health shop, 1kg can be up to €10 - a lot of money down the drain (so to speak).
    The magnesium tablets you buy in places like Asda are usually magnesium oxide - very poor bioavailability (approximately only 4%). Better types, like magnesium citrate or malate, are still cheap if you can find them. Best of all apparently is the magnesium chloride, both to ingest and to soak. I'd just be soaking in the stuff I'd buy here, I think :)

Could not afford that as well as heating bath water; see how much I save by washing in a bucket ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement