Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Focus ..

• 22-07-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi - I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to get my focus back. I've been through a really tough year and now the end game is in sight; I just need to get my thesis written and study for one last exam but I just can't find the energy or interest to do it. Any ideas on how to get my drive back, to knuckle down and get this last hurdle over with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

take it 1 day at a time and do the best you can each day.
    imo "pressuring" yourself into doing x and y each day would be counter-productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

What about drawing up a study plan and include plenty of rewards for work well done? Use a kind of carrot and stick approach for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You be motivated by the relief of getting the thesis done and a job well done.
    Or motivated by the failure as you messed up your thesis by not doing enough.
    Or a combination of both

I don't agree that pressuring yourself is counter productive

For me anyway (lazy fecker that I am :o) I'd struggle to get organized until deadline time or somebody gave me a strict deadline and then I'd work superbly as I was under pressure.
    But months from deadline time? Hah, I wouldn't do a bit of work

Some people struggle with procrastination and need a kick in the ass. No shame in saying that, I'll say that's clearly me.

I hope the OP is better them me but maybe setting a strict deadline for x day and y day could help, sure try this week

Set a strict deadline - maybe take a few mins or so to plan a mini-holiday for after the date?
    That way you have something to look forward to to keep you going and a deadline to make

Advertisement