Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 for Netbook

Options
  • 22-07-2010 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I am hoping to buy a Asus Eee PC 1005PE netbook tomorrow, but I am unsure about Window 7. I like the new version of Windows but this mean I must pay e150 (ish) to download it onto the netbook, making the netbook more expensive. I have a copy of XP on disk from my old laptop, but there are no disk drives on the netbook. :confused:

I am considering the possibility of buying an external disk drive and uploading XP on teh netbook, but I was wondering whether any of you had similar experiences and how did you manage to do it. Ideally, I would like Windows 7, but its a little expensive (for me). :rolleyes:

I would appreciate any advice/tips/hints you might have to do this.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

That netbook seems to come already preloaded with WIndows 7 so you shouldnt need to buy it seperately

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You can load xp on to a usb stick, it's not the easiest, but there are plenty of guides online, just google it. Windows 7 is very easy to boot off a usb stick no real messing around with it.
    The netbook will have at very least xp home on it already, and could possibly have Window 7 basic installed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Your new netbook should already have an OS installed.

How much longer is MS going to support XP?

I've a new Toshiba netbook with 2 gigs memory that runs fast and clean on Windows 7. The Starter version of 7 runs fewer simultaneous apps, but that is not a problem, given that I have an older rig with greater capabilities (also Windows 7). I do not have an external drive, and download apps from the web without problems. Have never downloaded an OS from the web.

XP was OK when I had it years ago. I went through Vista growing pains, and was glad when Windows 7 was released. No probs with 7 thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I suspect the EEE comes with Xandros(Linux Distro) and not Windows. Both are available.

OP, just buy one with 7 preinstalled... or you could use Easy Peasy Ubuntu, I do and love it.(On an old 700)
    Color
    Crystal Black
    LCD Size / Type
    10.1"
    LCD Resolution
    1024x600 (WSVGA), (Color-Shine)
    Processor
    Intel ATOM N450 CPU
    RAM
    1GB DDR2
    Graphics
    Intel UMA
    Storage Size and Type (+ Internet Storage)
    250GB HDD
    Wireless
    802.11 bgn
    Bluetooth
    YES
    Operating System
    Windows 7 Starter
    Software
    Windows 7 Starter Preloaded; ASUS Exclusive Utility Eee Docking, Super Hybrid Engine, SW:MS Works, MS Office 60-day Trial, MS Live, Anti-Virus software
    Webcam
    YES
    Battery (Battery Life)
    63W/h (Up to 14* Hrs)
    Inner Sleeve Case
    NO
    Weight
    2.80 lbs (with Battery)
    Dimensions
    10.31" x 7.01" x 1.02"~1.44"
    Warranty
    1 Year Global Warranty, (6 months for battery, 30 days ZBD Guaranteed)
    http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/57

Advertisement