Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope Benedict - Cnut or Genius?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

genericguy wrote: »
    hence my idea that he could potentially be doing all this so publicly on purpose, to bring down the church from within.

The 3rd Secret of Fatima foretells that "Satan will succeed in infiltrating into the highest positions in the Church.... Cardinals will oppose cardinals and bishops will oppose bishops. In Rome there will occur great changes. What is rotten will fall, and what falls must not be retained. The great, great war will come."

I asked what they thought about that in the Christianity forum the other day but nobody replied!

Very interesting text, and was only released in 2000.. maybe they seen it coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

He isn't trying to bring them down, this is what the RC church is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I think even most RCs can concede that Benedict is a cnut. A ridiculous man by all counts.

@MyNameIsURL Interesting text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The 3rd Secret of Fatima foretells that "Satan will succeed in infiltrating into the highest positions in the Church.... Cardinals will oppose cardinals and bishops will oppose bishops. In Rome there will occur great changes. What is rotten will fall, and what falls must not be retained. The great, great war will come."

I asked what they thought about that in the Christianity forum the other day but nobody replied!

Very interesting text, and was only released in 2000.. maybe they seen it coming!

It's gotten to the point that that wouldn't even really cause a 'great, great war'. It'd just be a bit of a kerfuffle really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

he didnt have parkinsons, he was just getting jiggy:D

rot in hell JPII
    I have that T-Shirt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Aah I loved JP-II

I'm a catholic, and not ashamed to call myself one. I do think old Benny's said some pretty stupid things though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

KeithAFC wrote: »
    He should pay for his own visit to the United Kingdom.

Why? He is coming over on an invitation from the UK government. It is a state visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The same posters expressing their hate of "Benny" are the same people who'll get married in Church, take their vows, stand for their nieces or nephew communion with more vows and then take yet more vows to baptize their children or be godparents

But shure why not be hypocritical?

It's cool if you want nothing to do with the Church. I've seen the countmeout campaign, I'll respect that

But I guess I won't be seeing you at any weddings or funerals soon though, shame

But I guess I won't be seeing you at any weddings or funerals soon though, shame

People are still free to attend those things even if they've officially left the faith. They can even get buried in a graveyard iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

The same posters expressing their hate of "Benny" are the same people who'll get married in Church, take their vows, stand for their nieces or nephew communion with more vows and then take yet more vows to baptize their children or be godparents

It's cool if you want nothing to do with the Church. I've seen the countmeout campaign, I'll respect that

Do you refuse to go to weddings or funerals that aren't in churches because it isn't how you'd do things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

I agree with your post but why join a campaign. If you want out just get your baptism certificate changed. Thats how simple it is yet I have never met anyone to do this.

As I said in a similiar thread for the month of May i could not get my seat in the lounge of the local pub for the crowds at the first communions.

You are correct it is very hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

davrho wrote: »
    I agree with your post but why join a campaign. If you want out just get your baptism certificate changed. Thats how simple it is yet I have never met anyone to do this.

As you said I've never heard of people changing their baptism certificate, I've only heard of that campaign.
    If you want to share info, certainly start a thread on that :)

I'll respect anybodies view, if you want nothing to do with the CC then go for it, just don't show up once every few years for a baptism, wedding or communion and express your "beliefs"

Do a civil ceremony or don't baptize your child, refuse to be a grandparent, stand by your belief. That's all fine.
    Just don't stroll into a Church, mutter a few words and come back here and lash everything you just did.
    Can't respect a hypocrite, they won't even stand by what they claim to do.

There is more to being a godparent then posting a card with €20 note for every birthday, an awful lot more!
    Business men/women do deals on a handshake so if your word is worth anything and you go to a Church and volunteer to take a vow then mean it.
    If you can't/won't/strongly disagree then don't put yourself in that situation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

genericguy wrote: »
    he was a nazi during the war.

He was a kid during the war who was forced into the Hitler Youth like all German young lads. They had no choice. It was compulsory! He eventually did a bunk from his 'unit' and made his way home IIRC.

If you are going to pick issues with the man at least make them some f*ckin way reasonable.

:rolleyes:

I asked what they thought about that in the Christianity forum the other day but nobody replied!!

Actually what you asked about was the section on the relgious and faithful being killed by soldiers with bullets and arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I don't know why people are comparing jp2 to benny. Jp was a great pope, sure didn't he even forgive all those sexy children for tempting the priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Just what we need....another church-bashing thread :rolleyes:. Surely we are capable of coming up with something else to discuss?

Now I am Catholic myself but don't necessarily agree with everything the Pope says however to brand him an evil cnut is missing the point completely.

He's very conservative and only doing what is expected of the head of the Church ie relating doctrine....again I don't agree with most of it nor would most christians I know but I can accept he's merely doing his job.

As to the whole the-pope-is-a-nazi thing, people really need to brush up on their history!

Benedict was a child during the war and as such would have been obligated to join the Hitler Youth, whether he wanted to or not. He was not a Nazi, they are a different kettle of fish altogether so that argument really is moot.

prinz wrote: »
    Actually what you asked about was the section on the relgious and faithful being killed by soldiers with bullets and arrows.

Well the whole thing is open to interpretation I presume. I just wanted to see what people of faith made of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Cnut? He's not a Norse king of england.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnut_the_Great

I think hes great because hes doing more to steer that horrific organisation into the pages of history than anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

No it doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Secret_of_Fatima#Third_secret

Theres no mention of satan or the pope. thats a Burzum album youre thinking of

• Advertisement

No it doesn't.

Hush now Ken. You see...
    Well the whole thing is open to interpretation I presume.

It also says something about Thierry Henry's handball and a kangaroo on the loose in Meath.

What My Name Is URL is talking about has nothing to do with Fatima.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/mary/akita.htm

No it doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Secret_of_Fatima#Third_secret

Theres no mention of satan or the pope. thats a Burzum album youre thinking of

http://www.apparitionsofthevirginmary.com/fatima_3rd_secret.htm

and from Wiki -
    Some sources claim that the four-page, handwritten text of the Third Secret released by the Vatican in the year 2000 is not the real secret, or at least not the full secret. In particular, it is alleged that Cardinals Bertone, Ratzinger and Sodano engaged in a systematic deception to cover up the existence of a one-page document containing the words of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which some believe contains information about the Apocalypse and a great apostasy.
    prinz wrote: »
    What My Name Is URL is talking about has nothing to do with Fatima.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/mary/akita.htm

Well I stand corrected on that so.. It was still an apparition which the church acknowledged though?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

he simply got his towel bishop cape on the balcony first, just like all Germans do when on holiday and now they are stuck with him.
    ie Genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

If he is both - that makes him a "gee-nius".

The way I look at it, JPII was a bit of an Obama pope - charisma and likeability but did very little of substance. He's remembered fondly by many because he was content for the shit to be buried on his watch.

Ratzinger has to deal with it so is never going to win prizes. On top of this he is a blatantly racist, homophobic, misoginistic egotistical powermonger. But, surely that's in the job description - I can never fathom why it is that people are shocked by the views of the clergy - for fooks sake, just take a look at past performance.

Mostly scum, a few good souls who have fallen into the wrong job - should've taken an each way bet on Bhudda to cover their arses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

JPII had eye beams though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

the pope cannot be arrested
    he could stand in the middle of o'connell street
    with a machine gun shooting people
    and still cannot be arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so the gun squad just shoot him, why even waste time arresting him...

Well obviously.. It's all just part of God's plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

He is a paedophile protecting cúnt

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    He is a paedophile protecting cúnt

As were a lot of people back in the day it seems. Parents, teachers, psychologists, gardaí, etc etc.

Advertisement