Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting from a slope downwards and upwards at angles.

Options
  • 22-07-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,
    This season coming will be my 2nd time Deer Stalking on my own. I own a Tikka T3 S/S .243 and Mod S/S Ace Utra S5 fitted also and Hawke scope. I use Remington Core/Lkt .234 (100g), i like the ammo and shoot well with it. Last season got 5x deer for a 1st timer not from the want of trying. I will be getting ready soon to get out and practice and zero again. I zoero rifle for 100yrds.

My question is last season i had a deer on an downward slope in my sights at 80yrds no pressure shot and no buck fever. I was lying down no wind. Put cross hairs on but missed:mad:. I could see the earth rise just by front leg under body of deer. What did i do wrong??. What should have been my point of aim?. I was going for chest shot heart/lung and i aimed my crosshairs on the chest. Some of the quarry i stalk has slopes up an down. I want to improve this now with practice when out and not miss this season.

Kill Joy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Whether shooting up or downhill, aim low.

Sounds like a miss, nothing fancy.

You'll either have to do a quick bit of math or get a rangefinder with ballistics program.

Maybe the phones have such an ap these days. I saw a program whereby you could download any golf course and get yardages, slopes, et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kill Joy

FISMA wrote: »
    Whether shooting up or downhill, aim low.

Sounds like a miss, nothing fancy.

You'll either have to do a quick bit of math or get a rangefinder with ballistics program.

Maybe the phones have such an ap these days. I saw a program whereby you could download any golf course and get yardages, slopes, et al.

I dont understand Aim Low whether Up or Down hill?? How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Gravity is what causes the bullet to drop, and that acts over the bullet's 'horizontal' distance travelled, which can be quite a lot less than the point to point distance if you and your target are at different heights.

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    Gravity is what causes the bullet to drop, and that acts over the bullet's 'horizontal' distance travelled, which can be quite a lot less than the point to point distance if you and your target are at different heights.

O.K. Thanks for replys. Yes i now understand that Aim Low. But where do i aim my crosshairs by how much low in Inches half an inch or more??. Our does that depend on my range to target??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If you really want you can get a yoke to put on your scope to measure the angle of the shot, an angle collimeter :o cosine indicator or something they're called. Past a certain severity of angle your bullet will hit HIGH shooting uphill/downhill, so you need to aim LOW. As usual, the best way to find out is to practice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

At 80y the difference is not that much to worry about IMO.
    The question is did you alter your aim where the heart/lungs would be at the angle you were at. This aim point would have been much higher up on on the body.

clivej wrote: »
    At 80y the difference is not that much to worry about IMO.
    The question is did you alter your aim where the heart/lungs would be at the angle you were at. This aim point would have been much higher up on on the body.

No i did not alter my aim. Now i see what i did wrong:mad:. I shoud have as you said been much higher on body. If i was say lying down and my rifle is zero'd for 100yrds .243 (100g), flat ground perfect conditions my deer is say 200yrds out for a shot. What is my point of aim?? High or Low?? and by how much in Inches to way off??.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

at 80 yds i would not allow ,not for getting my rifle is set a inch high at 100 yds .

there is a area where i stalk ,you can come in on top of the animal your shooting 45% or more at range i would hold down but not by a lot .

shot some reds in Scotland one time with a guy holding my legs .the nearest i will ever get to shooting from a helicopter .

you possibly hit the animal ,i dont like remmi there to hard .were you necking

jwshooter wrote: »
    at 80 yds i would not allow ,not for getting my rifle is set a inch high at 100 yds .

there is a area where i stalk ,you can come in on top of the animal your shooting 45% or more at range i would hold down but not by a lot .

shot some reds in Scotland one time with a guy holding my legs .the nearest i will ever get to shooting from a helicopter .

you possibly hit the animal ,i dont like remmi there to hard .were you necking

Nope no Necking. As i say aim Small you miss small, aim Big you miss big. For now just chest shots heart lung. Need alot practice for neck shots before i would attempt. But at moment using my CZ 452 .22lr for bunnies long range say out to 100yrds head shots for practice:D. This season i will try neck shot if practice goes well. As for Remmi Core-Lkt so far never let me down always had a Kill:)

When shooting up or down hill, true, gravity accelerates your round straight down. It is the horizontal distance that you must consider when shooting and not the up/down hill distance.

As for where to aim, that's another point entirely. Suppose you are shooting on a hill such as this, the classic 3, 4, 5 triangle studied in school.
    345.gif

For our case, suppose the triangle represents 300yards, 400yards, and 500 yards.

If you are at the top a deer at the bottom is 500 yards walking distance down the hill from you.

However, that's not the distance you want to setup in the reticle. You have to use your scope as if the deer is 400yards away. Since the horizontal distance is always less whether shooting uphill or downhill, you always aim low.

This involves knowing the angle, slope, horizontal distance, or some combo and making a quick and easy calculation. I bought and am waiting to receive the Leica 1600 which has an internal ballistics program that does the work for you.

Now there's more. What round does your firearm shoot? What's the trajectory that the bullet flies? In general, bullets are pretty fast and the reticles used should be spot on for any caliber.

However, have a look at this chart
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BMDotLabels4.pdf

All of the reticles have the same cross mark spacings, however, you should note that depending on the bullet and its mass, those markings change the actual corresponding distance. I think this is the type of chart you are looking for.

Here's a comparison for the Ruger 204 (4220 feet/s) and the Springfield 30-06 (150 gr) (2900 feet/sec). The numbers correspond to the different distance for the same cross marks using different rounds.

Ruger 204: 100, 225, 350, 450, 650, and 750
    Sprg 30-06: 100, 200, 300, 400, 460, and 550

The Ruger, being the hotter round flies "flatter." Note that the second marking on the reticle is a distance greater than 200ya. Again, since this round flies so fast, it drops less, and if you set your cross hair up at the second mark, the round hits dead center at 225 ya not 200 ya.

First, note that within 300 yards, across all calibers, the scope isn't going to be a problem as to hit or miss. Across all calibers, I bet there will not be much of a drop difference at all if you zero at 100ya and use the reticle in 100 ya increments there after out to 300 or 400 yards.

The problem is when you shoot long distances. The speed of the bullet decreases exponentially. When shooting out past 600 or 700 yards, the problem will be magnified.

Hope this helps, here's a little more light reading :)
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BALLPLEX.pdf

You should check the webSite of the manufacturer of your scope for any such info. Also, you may wish to do the same for your ammo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Kill Joy wrote: »
    Nope no Necking. As i say aim Small you miss small, aim Big you miss big. For now just chest shots heart lung. Need alot practice for neck shots before i would attempt. But at moment using my CZ 452 .22lr for bunnies long range say out to 100yrds head shots for practice:D. This season i will try neck shot if practice goes well. As for Remmi Core-Lkt so far never let me down always had a Kill:)

Deer ,the more you kill the more you realise any thing can happen .

i had a buddy out two years ago he shot a stag behind the shoulder side on with a 30,06 using 180gr hammer heads .

i could see the stag take the shot before it ran and ran it did . I miss ,nope .the stag did go down .

if this was on a forest edge ,with out a spotter ,he would have put it down as a miss .

the core-lock is a hard compound bullet , try federal soft points or SSTs or better again federal Btips .

if your so sure you did not miss ,you probably did not .did you see the animal in question for long after the shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

i had a buddy out two years ago he shot a stag behind the shoulder side on with a 30,06 using 180gr hammer heads .

i could see the stag take the shot before it ran and ran it did . I miss ,nope .the stag did go down .

if this was on a forest edge ,with out a spotter ,he would have put it down as a miss .

the core-lock is a hard compound bullet , try federal soft points or SSTs or better again federal Btips .

if your so sure you did not miss ,you probably did not .did you see the animal in question for long after the shot

I find the best practice is on rabbits in sand hills, you get angles all the time, and a smaller target.

rabbits you either hit or miss if you go for head shot.

As a result you get more used to aiming and do it more instinctively.
    I was out shooting today with an auld buck who was shooting since the early 50's

he could not get over how i could hit a bunny @176 yards in the head.

I explained to him as follows
    1. I have been shooting in hilly ground all my life
    2. I have had range finders for around 10 years and i have all my fields ranged.
    3. I have missed enough down the years to learn from my mistakes.
    4. Bunny shooting is brilliant practice

However one would never get enough practice deer stalking to become good at shooting IMvHO;)

So take out the .243 and shoot a few bunnies
    And deffo BT'ped rounds
    Groups are much tighter out of same rifle

In relation to my error aim on the downward shot i missed. As was pointed out to me, should have aim'd low deer ran in:(. But to redeem myself few days later last season at 130yrds got my 1st ever 8xpointer Stag had a spotter seen the bullet strike he ran 50yrds and dropped:D used Remmi and the price is o.k.,the bullet mushroomed and intact after the postmortem. Thats what you want not for it to shatter inside.

When shooting up or down hill, true, gravity accelerates your round straight down. It is the horizontal distance that you must consider when shooting and not the up/down hill distance.

As for where to aim, that's another point entirely. Suppose you are shooting on a hill such as this, the classic 3, 4, 5 triangle studied in school.
    345.gif

For our case, suppose the triangle represents 300yards, 400yards, and 500 yards.

If you are at the top a deer at the bottom is 500 yards walking distance down the hill from you.

However, that's not the distance you want to setup in the reticle. You have to use your scope as if the deer is 300yards away. Since the horizontal distance is always less whether shooting uphill or downhill, you always aim low.

This involves knowing the angle, slope, horizontal distance, or some combo and making a quick and easy calculation. I bought and am waiting to receive the Leica 1600 which has an internal ballistics program that does the work for you.

Now there's more. What round does your firearm shoot? What's the trajectory that the bullet flies? In general, bullets are pretty fast and the reticles used should be spot on for any caliber.

However, have a look at this chart
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BMDotLabels4.pdf

All of the reticles have the same cross mark spacings, however, you should note that depending on the bullet and its mass, those markings change the actual corresponding distance. I think this is the type of chart you are looking for.

Here's a comparison for the Ruger 204 (4220 feet/s) and the Springfield 30-06 (150 gr) (2900 feet/sec). The numbers correspond to the different distance for the same cross marks using different rounds.

Ruger 204: 100, 225, 350, 450, 650, and 750
    Sprg 30-06: 100, 200, 300, 400, 460, and 550

The Ruger, being the hotter round flies "flatter." Note that the second marking on the reticle is a distance greater than 200ya. Again, since this round flies so fast, it drops less, and if you set your cross hair up at the second mark, the round hits dead center at 225 ya not 200 ya.

First, note that within 300 yards, across all calibers, the scope isn't going to be a problem as to hit or miss. Across all calibers, I bet there will not be much of a drop difference at all if you zero at 100ya and use the reticle in 100 ya increments there after out to 300 or 400 yards.

The problem is when you shoot long distances. The speed of the bullet decreases exponentially. When shooting out past 600 or 700 yards, the problem will be magnified.

Hope this helps, here's a little more light reading :)
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BALLPLEX.pdf

You should check the webSite of the manufacturer of your scope for any such info. Also, you may wish to do the same for your ammo.

Fisma,

Tanx very much for such detailed information. I take my hat off to you far play. You have given plenty homework to study. And i can now by reading it understand better.:)

Tanx to all for replys!:)

Kill Joy.

Oops, sorry lads, that was 400 yards away, not 300ya.

SOH CAH TOA...

Corrected in the op, but not in the quoted.

Also, I totally agree with JWShooter, you just might have hit him and seen the "spalsh" of a pass through. Have a look at this youTube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ_bP0guSWA
    Granted it is for Lumenok arrows, however, at first glance, it looks as if the arrow went under the deer's belly. It did not, it actually went through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Oops, sorry lads, that was 400 yards away, not 300ya.

SOH CAH TOA...

Corrected in the op, but not in the quoted.

Pythagoras theorem my eye lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Buy a Cosine indicator - two versions - one mounts on the scope tube, the other on the rail - around £100 from Accuracy International or via Sinclair in the US. Not classed as a federally-restricted item.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Advertisement