Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lump of gammon...

Options
  • 22-07-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭

So the MIL gave me a big lump of unsmoked gammon. I never buy it as Im not that fond of it so have no clue as to what to do with it.
    The idea of bacon and cabbage is not at all appealing to me.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If bacon and cabbage is not that appealing then I'm guessing coddle doesn't sound good to you?

Alternatively, boil it, slather it in something sweet (like cranberry jam, or honey and mustard) and bake until sticky and delicious. Slice and eat in wonderful sandwiches or with lots of coleslaw, potato salad and good bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Your right coddle has never done it for me either..

I will try what you suggested.. Sounds lovely actually. Or I could courier it over to you for your 'cook off' and you could throw it into something;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

After boiling it you could use some of it for a pea and ham soup. The rest might be nice if thrown into a carbonara sauce just before serving. I've been meaning to try the latter the traditional way - meaning egg yokes instead of cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Thanks Fanny.
    Actually my daughter has just discovered carbonara sauce and I was just saying to my sis today, I have to start making my own as I buy that Dolmio muck for her and apart from it being full of god knows what its expensive.
    Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It is super easy to make. In total you are probably looking at about 20 minutes work including prep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement