Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aware Focus Groups

• 22-07-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

OK just wondering has anyone ever gone to one of these and what do they think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

how do you mean focus groups ?

Aware is a depression support group - the best way to see if it helps you is to visit one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes I was at some meetings in St. Patricks. I have a good career and fairly normal life and all that. But I certainly dont regret going. I would say it brought long term benefits to me. Last Summer when I was trying to come off medication it was very difficult for me for a number of months and I went to about 5 meetings. Ultimately I didnt succeed coming off the medication. But the 10 months that followed this period have probably been my best ever. Go for it. It's very liberating. Its nice to be able to help other people too.

I found the aware group to be full of alcoholics, druggies and general wasters; a very intimidating atmosphere for people with genuine issues. There was also piss poor control by the facilitators which lead to people talking out of turn, interrupting etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AdmiralRazor

I went about four years ago and found it to be a liberating experience, at first.

As time went on and I became more self-assured and confident, it became kind of a downer, to be honest.

If you're looking for support groups, you might wanna try Grow, it's much more grown-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

I found the aware group to be full of alcoholics, druggies and general wasters; a very intimidating atmosphere for people with genuine issues. There was also piss poor control by the facilitators which lead to people talking out of turn, interrupting etc

Sorry are you referring to druggies and alcoholics as general wasters, these people have an illness/addiction and you don't think these are genuine issues. It takes more courage for these people to go and get help and admit they have a problem. What an ignorant comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How many different meetings did you try?

Danniboo wrote: »
    Sorry are you referring to druggies and alcoholics as general wasters?

No they're a specific type of people that I have a problem with attending aware meetings. The meeting runs once a week in my area and I feel it is vital to people with genuine depression issues. Anyone I've ever encountered with drug and alcohol issues at aware have always derailed the meeting. They have AA and NA to go to which runs every single day in many locations locally. One lady even came to the meeting drunk and had to be asked to leave as she was interrupting and getting aggressive.

Apologies if you took offence to my first post on this thread, I can understand if it seems like I was just being flippant but it's an honest opinion of aware meetings which I felt I had to share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No they're a specific type of people that I have a problem with attending aware meetings. The meeting runs once a week in my area and I feel it is vital to people with genuine depression issues. Anyone I've ever encountered with drug and alcohol issues at aware have always derailed the meeting. They have AA and NA to go to which runs every single day in many locations locally. One lady even came to the meeting drunk and had to be asked to leave as she was interrupting and getting aggressive.

Apologies if you took offence to my first post on this thread, I can understand if it seems like I was just being flippant but it's an honest opinion of aware meetings which I felt I had to share.
    Perhaps this is more reflective of the meetings held in your local area than ones held elsewhere, so may not be representative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Alcoholics and drug addicts are entitled to seek help as much as anyone else, do you not think they may be suffering from depression? Do you think a happy person wakes up and says wooo hoo life is great lets take a load of drugs today, or drink myself into oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

No they're a specific type of people that I have a problem with attending aware meetings. The meeting runs once a week in my area and I feel it is vital to people with genuine depression issues.

It could be the case that the alcoholics, drug addicts and eh, general wasters, are in the position they are in because of a genuine depression issue. If you go to a support group with a closed mind and assume you are above or 'different' to other people seeking the same support its not surprising that you found it unhelpful.

OP I have not been to Aware myself but have a friend who reports a similar experience as AdmiralRazor and I myself found a different support group (alanon) brilliant but as my life changed and I was suffering less I did feel that the constant reminder was difficult and could be a bit of downer also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement