Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Rip Off

Options
  • 22-07-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Travelled recently to France, 0.5 litre bottle of water - €2.50, same bottle of water in Lidl in France - 21 cents. What a rip off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Transport costs, higher wages, higher taxes.......wait.....NO. Just no.

Simply greed for greed's sake. You should not have paid it, put up with the dehydration, and then bought 12 bottles of water when you got over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Anon47 wrote: »
    Travelled recently to France, 0.5 litre bottle of water - €2.50, same bottle of water in Lidl in France - 21 cents. What a rip off.

Are you seriously comparing an airport with a discount store ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Your on the wrong road there lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Was that the cheapest shop in the airport or just the one you went to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Are you seriously comparing an airport with a discount store ?
    Stanstead and Gatwick have a Booths outlet that charges acceptible rates for mineral water and sandwiches.

Dublin Airport dropped the prices of their sandwich / speciality coffee combo recently e5 which is very acceptible and is the same as what Insomnia and other coffee shops charge in the city ctr.

If you think bottled water is expensive now just wait until you have to buy it at Terminal 2. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

You should try to buy a drink in Charles DeGaulle airport, it's around 4.50 for a Coke or water

As other posters have said, it's not fair to compare a no-frills discount store to a shop in a very high rent area ie Airport

In Aldi and Lidl you normally have to buy items in multiples, so you can't compare the cost of one item on it's own to a normal retail single unit.

You should check-out the Boots shop in the airport, for 3.99 you can get any sandwich\salad, any drink and any snack (valued at up to 1.80)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Reasonable price in Boots in Dublin Airport too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

airports WORLDWIDE charge excessive amounts for items such as bottled water & minerals - even agadir in morocco charges €3 for a bottle of water.

the airports themselves charge a hefty amount to operators for their pitches which has to be passed on.

next time either buy it as a package deal with a sandwich or buy it in boots

btw... why are you not comparing it with the airport in france that you were in? - Probably because it was even more expensive there!

91011 wrote: »
    airports WORLDWIDE charge excessive amounts for items such as bottled water & minerals - even agadir in morocco charges €3 for a bottle of water.

the airports themselves charge a hefty amount to operators for their pitches which has to be passed on.

next time either buy it as a package deal with a sandwich or buy it in boots

btw... why are you not comparing it with the airport in france that you were in? - Probably because it was even more expensive there!
    I must say I found Reus and Gerona airports very reasonable, for both, coffees, pastries and soft drinks. I was stuck there for a few hours and ddn't put a hole in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , please compare like with like

What was the price of the water in the airport in France , I would guess higher than Dublin

CDG ( Paris ) is known for it's very high prices .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pretty tame, I recall my brother paying the equivalent of £5 for a can of coke in Charles De Gaulle airport in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I nearly broke something laughing so hard at the first post in this thread :)

Airport is a rip off ... stop the press, captive audience and high rents = high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

250ml bottles of water cost €10 in the nightclubs in Ibiza

250ml bottles of water cost €10 in the nightclubs in Ibiza

Theres a reason for this.

Venues cashing in on pill dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I paid 1.70 for a 500ml bottle last friday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres a reason for this.

Venues cashing in on pill dropping.

So thats ok but airport shops cashing in is suddenyl wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Frankfurt Hahn airport, bottle of water €2.75, airports are rip-offs...not just in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Anon47 wrote: »

That's nothing. I got 2 litres from my tap at home for freeeeeeee.
    Lidls charging 21c for .5 l of the same stuff. Ripoff.

/sarcasm off.

Comparing an airport shop to one of the cheaper supermarkets is just daft. If Lidl had a shop in the airport it'd be a bit fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Taking liquids off everyone before the security check to then rip them off on the other side when they go to replace them is the real problem there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

APM wrote: »
    Frankfurt Hahn airport, bottle of water €2.75, airports are rip-offs...not just in Ireland

Was just gonna say Germany as well, was in dusseldorf airport in march, Prices were crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I really hope this thread is a wind up
    jahalpin wrote: »
    You should try to buy a drink in Charles DeGaulle airport, it's around 4.50 for a Coke or water
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    I recall my brother paying the equivalent of £5 for a can of coke in Charles De Gaulle airport in 1994.
    Charles De Gaulle really was astonishing, I thought Norway was expensive but not a patch on De Gaulle, I think it was €5.50 or €7.50 for a 500ml coke when I was there about 5 years ago. This was not in a cafe section or anything either, just a newsagent type place. I had my expenses paid but no way I would buy that, the accounts dept would have thought I fiddled the receipts!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hair Bear

I was in an airport, Alicante-Spain, last December and purchased a bottle of water for €4.50. I commented to the seller on the outrageous price and he said he was paid €2.00 an hour! So it wasn't for the high wages!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hair Bear wrote: »
    I was in an airport, Alicante-Spain, last December and purchased a bottle of water for €4.50. I commented to the seller on the outrageous price and he said he was paid €2.00 an hour! So it wasn't for the high wages!:(

HOLY SHEET !!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This is a case for Joe Duffy I think

Yea, Joe would probably get something going. Whoever started this though should pursue it as he/she made the most recent purchase!:rolleyes:

:(To NC 6000
    Yes I totally agree...that is the source of the problem. You get a good deal and then its taken off you and you have to purchase more after checkin BUT at double or treble the price.

Boots however is reasonably priced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

DAA parking is a complete rip-off, Parked to pick up auntie from New York at 4.00 AM (when there is F**** all business) 7.40 for around an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    DAA parking is a complete rip-off, Parked to pick up auntie from New York at 4.00 AM (when there is F**** all business) 7.40 for around an hour.

My guess is the charge was €3.70 per hour or part thereof.

In heathrow it would have been £6.30 (€7.70) for just over an hour and £8 (€9.80) if it was 1hour 31 minutes.

In stansted it would have been £8 (€9.80) for just over an hour.
    In Belfast its £6.60 (€8)

Short-term carparking in most airports are charged at a premium.

• Advertisement

to 91011

Totally agree - but is still a rip off as you are a captive consumer!
    Rgds

Advertisement