Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Rip Off

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hair Bear wrote: »
    to 91011

Totally agree - but is still a rip off as you are a captive consumer!
    Rgds

I have just been quoted over 100 euro for a fortnight parking.

Gonna get a friend to drop us up in my car. 2 X 2 euro tolls and maybe 3 quid in diesel. 7 quid all in !!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hair Bear

Yes, ditto here. I thought prices were going down! €99 for ten days, €120 nearer Dublin Airport and €70 20 mins away!

I'll get a taxi for €25 and someone will pick us up!:)
    Prices were down to €4 per day for long term - why are prices on the way up again? Is the recession over and retailers are at it already [price increases]:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Hair Bear wrote: »
    Yes, ditto here. I thought prices were going down! €99 for ten days, €120 nearer Dublin Airport and €70 20 mins away!

not sure where these prices come from. Book online for fairly decent savings

online quotes 16th august 0700 to 26th august 0700
    total 10 days

10 days in short term carpark (right at terminal) = €100
    10 days in red carpark (main long term - 10min) = €75
    10 days in blue carpark (20 minutes away) = €55
    10 days in quickpark carpark (10min) = €70

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bewley's Hotel have some good deals too.

http://www.bewleyshotels.com/dublin_airport/parking/

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Anon47 wrote: »
    Travelled recently to France, 0.5 litre bottle of water - €2.50, same bottle of water in Lidl in France - 21 cents. What a rip off.[/QUOTE

dublin airport isn't a supermarket. It's a airport with plenty of retailers selling bottled water ( and not at a fixed price by the way)

and if you had the sense to purchase if in one of the DAA RETAIL shops, you'd have got a 50cl bottle of evian or volvic for 1euro or a litre bottle of volvic for 1.65euro or 750ml Riverrock for the same. All very acceptable prices for convience. Reminder: Dublin Airport is not a supermarket, nor is it based in France
    and, as pointed out, Boots aren't bad value

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just a dig there. Came through Dublin Airport yesterday. The duty free shop was selling river rock 500ml sparking and still at 2 for €2. They were sold out so subbed it for volvic 500ml.

Bought a couple. (needed them as its 29 deg today in Los Cristianos:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Anon47

Travelled recently to France, 0.5 litre bottle of water - €2.50, same bottle of water in Lidl in France - 21 cents. What a rip off.[/QUOTE

dublin airport isn't a supermarket. It's a airport with plenty of retailers selling bottled water ( and not at a fixed price by the way)

and if you had the sense to purchase if in one of the DAA RETAIL shops, you'd have got a 50cl bottle of evian or volvic for 1euro or a litre bottle of volvic for 1.65euro or 750ml Riverrock for the same. All very acceptable prices for convience. Reminder: Dublin Airport is not a supermarket, nor is it based in France
    and, as pointed out, Boots aren't bad value

For those of you deriding my original comparison between DA and Lidl I was only using the Lidl example to illustrate the likely cost price of a bottle of water versus the prices being charged in DA On that basis they are making thousands of per cent profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There's plenty if cheap water in the airport... boots for one.

Or go to the bar and get one for free.

If you are not going to shop around at all you only have yourself to blame.

How much do you get paid an hour? I bet I could find someone qualified on the world to do your job for less than €2 per hour.

YOU are a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Can someone please explain the term "DUTY FREE" it gives the impression that things are supposed to be cheaper than "outside" but I dont see no bargains when I go through.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

What is a ripoff, is the fact that you have to put liquids in a clear plastic bag, (What are they, bombproof?) and you're only allowed bring one. Yet they force you to pay for two bags (which are free in most airports). I left my spare one on top of the dispensor, so someone else could have it, and within 5 seconds, a member of airport staff came over, picked it up and threw it in the bin.

To be fair, airports make most of their money from shopping. If you remember Dublin airport 15 years ago, all it had was a duty free and bookstore, now there's about 30 shops. Ryanair and the likes have airports over a barrel. They get landing fees down to practically nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Travelled recently to France, 0.5 litre bottle of water - €2.50, same bottle of water in Lidl in France - 21 cents. What a rip off.
    Its only a rip off if you bought it, did you>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Anon47

alex73 wrote: »
    Its only a rip off if you bought it, did you>?

I'm afraid so! I was at the departure gate area in Pier D and the choice there is limited. The lesson for me here is to buy in Boots b4 heading for the departure gates.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Can someone please explain the term "DUTY FREE" it gives the impression that things are supposed to be cheaper than "outside" but I dont see no bargains when I go through.....

The "Duty Free" shop has both regular pricing and duty free pricing. - All other shops just operate under Airport Shopping banner.

There is high duty on cigarettes & alcohol. On these products you will see 2 prices. A duty free price which you can pay if you are travelling outside the EU and the duty paid price if you're travelling inside the EU.

Most other products have very little or no duty, so prices will be similar to regular shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Bear in mind that the Airport Duty free is a monopoly, so the Duty free prices are kept just low enought that people will buy them on impulse. They probably have a higher profit margin on booze than anywhere else.
    In Gibralter, the whole town is duty free, and you have numerous off licences competing with each other. You can buy a bottle of Vodka for €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

K.Flyer wrote: »
    "DUTY FREE" it gives the impression that things are supposed to be cheaper than "outside" but I dont see no bargains when I go through.....
    A sign saying "SALE" or "DISCOUNT" infers the same thing, and many suckers will still fall for it who have no idea of how to evaluate what value really is. Since there is (thankfully) no price control in place they can charge what they want.
    Blisterman wrote: »
    They probably have a higher profit margin on booze than anywhere else.
    Same in the canaries. The electronics in duty free shops in Hong Kong were more expensive than the ones in the main section of the airport, I am not talking of backstreet stuff, the shop I was in was called Fortress recommended by several Chinese colleagues. Once you pass into the duty free you could not go back out so many people would be caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PMAC08

A bottle of Red Breast Irish Whiskey in Dublin airport was €70 euro for EU Travel and €50 duty free. I bought TWO bottles in Heathrow Duty Free for €55.00. It seems we are not content to rip off tourists when they are here we have to fleece them on the way out too.
    Disgraceful.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

PMAC08 wrote: »
    A bottle of Red Breast Irish Whiskey in Dublin airport was €70 euro for EU Travel and €50 duty free. I bought TWO bottles in Heathrow Duty Free for €55.00. It seems we are not content to rip off tourists when they are here we have to fleece them on the way out too.
    Disgraceful.

Heathrow sometimes has cracking deals when you buy two bottles (got an expensive Tanqueray a few months ago which was half the usual Heathrow price) but the normal bottle prices aren't much to talk about.

Disgraceful.

I think you were reading the wrong price. About 2 months ago the price was under €40 for a bottle for travelling within the EU. - Maybe the sign was 2 for €70???? because red breast is never over €40 in any store I've ever known.

In Heathrow its 2 for £50. £50 = approx €59 at current consumer exchange rates not €55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snoepys

I paid 8 euros for a bottle of water in the new terminal,what a joke of a country.Cant wait to get out of here next year,moving to afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

snoepys wrote: »
    I paid 8 euros for a bottle of water in the new terminal,what a joke of a country.Cant wait to get out of here next year,moving to afghanistan.

Please tell me that was at least a litre bottle? :eek:

Please? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Always thought Dublin airport was a bit of rip-off but flew via Copenhagen this summer, well that was an eye opener I thought:eek:, not much going cheap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

snoepys wrote: »

Was it Magic water ?

I got a 330ml bottle of water in the Airport, went to the Till and it scanned at 3 euros.

Put it back and bought a bottle on the plane for 3 euros instead (colder that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I travel out of Dublin quite a bit and traditionally the prices beyond security were shocking. The presence of Boots and Burger King have offered a good alternative. I don't bother with any other shop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Disgraceful.

To PMAC08
    It was the 15YO you saw in Dublin airport at €70 and the 12YO you bought in Heathrow. Not the same product at all, but the bottles are very similar with only the age statment making the difference. The 15YO is not always that easy to find so the error is easy enough to make.. i just bought one this week in the airport and am looking forward to opening it after my christmas dinner! i also left it io pick up when i got back so i didn't have to lug it around with me on my travels.

Shhh wrote: »
    am looking forward to opening it after my christmas dinner! i also left it io pick up when i got back so i didn't have to lug it around with me on my travels.

why wait til then? - you should open it tomorrow night (temps to minus10!!) and then tell us the address so we can all share:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

jahalpin wrote: »

You should check-out the Boots shop in the airport, for 3.99 you can get any sandwich\salad, any drink and any snack (valued at up to 1.80)

I must check that out. Last time I went to the airport I paid about 5 euro just for the sandwich.

Advertisement