Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bike shops in cork

• 22-07-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭

Can anyone, for the love of Jesus, recommend a good bike shop in cork? Im looking for friendly honest advice. Not the guys that think "im going to get this beginner to splash the cash"

Cycling pursuits in Limerick seems the closest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Can anyone, for the love of Jesus, recommend a good bike shop in cork? Im looking for friendly honest advice. Not the guys that think "im going to get this beginner to splash the cash"

Cycling pursuits in Limerick seems the closest

closest to where??

West End Cycles in Ballincollig - Noel Holmes will see you right. He will sell you a bike appropriate to your needs and will actually talk you out of spending silly money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

ajk24 wrote: »
    closest to where??

West End Cycles in Ballincollig - Noel Holmes will see you right. He will sell you a bike appropriate to your needs and will actually talk you out of spending silly money.

I live in Ballincollig. I must call into him and see his selection. Problem im finding is a lot of the shops in Cork find it hard to compete with Wiggle or Planet X for Price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

sure if your gonna come as far as patrickswell ya may as well go to limerick city, The bike shop and An Siopa Rothar there

annd just 30 mins outside in a town called killaloe is a lil gem of a shop called Planet Tri

Gers_punto wrote: »
    sure if your gonna come as far as patrickswell ya may as well go to limerick city, The bike shop and An Siopa Rothar there

annd just 30 mins outside in a town called killaloe is a lil gem of a shop called Planet Tri

Heading to limerick for the football on saturday. will call in and see... What im looking for most is the bike shop attendant that isn't a total snob. Find that some shops have this elitist attitude that really is off putting... I mean they had to start somewhere too.

Cheers for the tips lads

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

+1 on west end cycles and with change in exchange rate wiggle aren;t cheaper than lbs anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Noel is sound alright though the place is a bit chaotic at the moment (btwork scheme!) Other than that Brian out in Speedy Spokes in Riverstick is another good option - both sound and genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I have lived in a number of towns and citys around this island and tbh walking in to a lbs and asking them to recommend a bike that they dont sell just doesnt happen. The closest I ever came to it was when the shop didnt have anything in my size and neither did his distributor. But all you can hope for is to get good info on the stock the shop has and compare this with another lbs which sells a different make.
    For bikes that the lbs doesnt stock (ie Bianchi) you can post up here. Once you have done this enough times with enough makes, you can make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Brian in Speedy Spokes (Riverstick) is top class, but he does deal mainly in top end bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

ajk24 wrote: »
    closest to where??

Totally agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ibike

try the edge sports in cork, stay away from cycling pursuits. gangsta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

The Edge on North Main St. What kind of bike are you after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

I have lived in a number of towns and citys around this island and tbh walking in to a lbs and asking them to recommend a bike that they dont sell just doesnt happen. The closest I ever came to it was when the shop didnt have anything in my size and neither did his distributor. But all you can hope for is to get good info on the stock the shop has and compare this with another lbs which sells a different make.
    For bikes that the lbs doesnt stock (ie Bianchi) you can post up here. Once you have done this enough times with enough makes, you can make up your mind.

Kilgrews are now selling Bianchi:

http://www.kilgrewscycles.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

Brian in Speedy Spokes (Riverstick) is top class, but he does deal mainly in top end bikes

Yeah Brian is a nice guy but v pricey

Barry in Kilgrew Cycles is a top man. Bought my first bike from him during the week. He couldnt have been nicer

Bought a Giant Defy 3.5 on the BTW scheme yesterday:) cant wait to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Gers_punto wrote: »

If you're gonna come to limerick, ring ahead just in case - Siopa Rothar might be closed next week. John is sound out in there.
    As is Noel Holmes (West end cycles) in Ballincollig.
    Victoria Cross Cycles in Cork usually have a good stock of stuff.
    Robbie down in Rothar Cycles in Carrigaline is sound out - expert on mountainbike stuff.

Thanks a million for all the advice... I'll be checking out all the above shops that ye recommended. Great to see noel getting the thumbs up all round...

Im after a Road Racer, Preferrable Carbon Fibre Frame. I have a budget of about 1300 to spend on it.

Ive checked the planet X Boys but they don't have one in my size... also this one has been pricking the ears for me

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_105_Compact_2010/5360045299/

First port of call Noel then River stick me thinks...
    Thanks a million (its great to get second opinions when spending this sort of cash)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

whats the differnce with the compact model??

NickDrake wrote: »
    whats the differnce with the compact model??

Top Features of the Focus Variado Expert Compact 2010
    Weight: 9.95kg
    Alloy racing frame with Focus carbon forks
    Shimano 105 drivetrain
    FSA Gossamer Pro compact chainset (50/34)
    Concept SL saddle
    Rodi rims built on Concept SL hubs
    Schwalbe Lugano tyres
    Powder Coated frame

New Focus carbon frame
    Focus carbon forks
    Shimano 105 drivetrain
    Shimano FC-R600 compact chainset (50/34)
    Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelset
    Concept SL saddle
    Tapered head tube
    BB30 bottom bracket shell with HollowTech II insert
    SSPS (Stable Stiffness per Size) – adaptive increase in tube diametre for maintaining equal stiffness in all frame sizes

To a better trained eye there could be more substantial differences but I think the Carbon Frame is a big difference. and the BB30 bottom bracket too as far as I know...

Im still learning so I could be wrong too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

stupidity on my part

stupidity on my part
    :confused:

please explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

:confused:

please explain

I made a post, realised it was stupid, so deleted it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement