Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picassa? Or something better?

Options
  • 22-07-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭

Is Picassa still the best option for photo management on a home PC or is there anything better? I just want something that'll store tags against my images and help me find / sort them etc. Preferably something that can render a Canon RAW file in a thumbnail etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is Picassa still the best option for photo management on a home PC or is there anything better? I just want something that'll store tags against my images and help me find / sort them etc. Preferably something that can render a Canon RAW file in a thumbnail etc.

lightroom

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Isn't that about €200?

Should have stressed I meant something free!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's worth it!

Are you on a "Spend all Sleepy's money" project Fajitas!?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yes.

• Advertisement

Damnit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ksapwaff

You could try xnview. It's a great little editor for captioning and tagging images. And it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Isn't that about €200?

Should have stressed I meant something free!

I got the newest version for about 300USD.

As Fajitas! says it is definitely worth it.

Go, go empty bank account. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

+1 for lightroom!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you want to empty the account faster, then Adobe Bridge in the CS5 works well too. :D

I have not used either, but you could check out Irfranview or Faststone which both seem to do a good job. I think they both now support the popular RAW formats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Another vote for Lightroom here, once you've tried it you'll wonder how you ever got along with anything else.

If you MUST stay with the free ones, I've found that Picasa is the best option.

I aquired a copy of Lightroom. Very, very useful. Now to tag 8,000 odd photos :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I aquired a copy of Lightroom.

Good man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I aquired a copy of Lightroom. Very, very useful. Now to tag 8,000 odd photos :(

Don't forget you can do them in individual libraries.. and from those you can select a crapload.. tag that group with everything they have in common, then select a different group and repeat the process.. you don't have to individually tag each photo. It speeds things up considerably!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Adobe Bridge in CS5 does a great job! Ridiculous price but CS5 is a fantastic piece of software.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Try this small program "FastStone Image Viewer" You will find it in google. It is free ,recognizes RAW, shows as thumbnails.Verry good for managing your photos and previewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Adobe CS Bridge is excellent, Adobe lightroom is very good and picassa is pretty good too. I have used a number of the free one but picassa is without doubt the best free one and keeps getting better. I like the way that in the latest version it goes through all your library and picks out all the faces and tries to identify everyone, brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

+1 for lightroom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    What do Adobe Bridge and Lightroom 3 do that's much better than Picassa and other free ones?

Cheers,
    pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

presume there's no way to import from Picassa- tags, starred photos etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

What do Adobe Bridge and Lightroom 3 do that's much better than Picassa and other free ones?
    presume there's no way to import from Picassa- tags, starred photos etc?

Best way to find out is to download the Lightroom 30 day trial and try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Just curious, why would anyone use Bridge+Photoshop over Lightroom especially if you have a lot of images to process?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just curious, why would anyone use Bridge+Photoshop over Lightroom especially if you have a lot of images to process?

They may have owned Bridge+Photoshop before Lightroom hit the market.

They may not want to fork out extra for Lightroom.

They may perfectly happy with Bridge+Photoshop.

Photoshop is better than Lightroom when it comes to very specific adjustments.

Overall, Photoshop(in the right hands) is more powerful than Lightroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I recommend ACDSee .

No importing images into a library like some other software, just browse the folders they're in on your hard drive, no fuss.

Advertisement