Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie on routers, please help!

• 22-07-2010 8:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Right so I have an xbox 360, which I want tto get online with. I use wireless broadband in my house so its not possible for me to get online where the xbox is.

The wireless adapter for the xbox is about €50 :eek: but im just wondering, is there a cheaper alternative such as buying a router (im not 100% sure if thats what there called, or if its called a modem) and having that pick up the connection from the other wireless box and then putting it beside the xbox.

Then sticking a broadband cable from that second router/modem, into the back of the xbox 360, like you would with a laptop/pc etc.

Is this possible, or do you get what I mean? if so, is this what I would need? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6758882/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

If so is that a good price and is it a good model? How would I enter in the wep key and such though? any help welcome thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Setting up a second router could be tricky for somebody not used to working with them... Have you thought about running a long Ethernet cable from the Xbox to the router... This would be more stable than wireless, easier to set up and chepaer... You could run the cable along skirting boards neatly enough.

Wireless is great when it works well, but you can beat the ease of just running a cable..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bk109

Well,actually the cheapest and quickest solution is just to use your laptop to share the WLAN network to the xbox(via Windows' Internet Connection Sharing Option),but I'm not sure what will be the ping-penalty,but you can always try it... (only thing you need is a ethernet crossover cable)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Well,actually the cheapest and quickest solution is just to use your laptop to share the WLAN network to the xbox(via Windows' Internet Connection Sharing Option),but I'm not sure what will be the ping-penalty,but you can always try it... (only thing you need is a ethernet crossover cable)...

Certainly a valid solution, but would mean leaving the laptop in the house permanently to facilitate the xbox getting online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

I cant get a cable at all up to it as the xbox is on the floor above the modem :p so thats out. I used to use the laptop to share the connection but that was a bit of a pain as the laptop was just wasting energy and often went into standby, thus me getting signed out of xbox live mid game, and also having to bring the laptop into the room with the xbox.

But is it possible to do what I mean in the OP? Im not new to computers at all, im in my second year of programming, but have very little experience in stuff like broadband and phone lines etc so am looking for advice on this.

Is it as simple as the second router picking up the signal of original modem connected to the phone line (again, terms im using might be wrong) and taking the data from the internet cable from the xbox and sending the data to the original modem, or is there alot more i have to do?

Digitalism wrote: »
    I cant get a cable at all up to it as the xbox is on the floor above the modem :p so thats out. I used to use the laptop to share the connection but that was a bit of a pain as the laptop was just wasting energy and often went into standby, thus me getting signed out of xbox live mid game, and also having to bring the laptop into the room with the xbox.

But is it possible to do what I mean in the OP? Im not new to computers at all, im in my second year of programming, but have very little experience in stuff like broadband and phone lines etc so am looking for advice on this.

Is it as simple as the second router picking up the signal of original modem connected to the phone line (again, terms im using might be wrong) and taking the data from the internet cable from the xbox and sending the data to the original modem, or is there alot more i have to do?
    Well,you do know that you can disable auto-standby :P
    Anyways,it's always a stop-gap solution (also known as - it's raining,let's improvise) :P

In that case,probably a Wireless Access point will help,but I don't know if it's not gonna cost more than a WLAN card for the xbox360

• Advertisement

bk109 wrote: »
    Well,you do know that you can disable auto-standby :P
    Anyways,it's always a stop-gap solution (also known as - it's raining,let's improvise) :P

In that case,probably a Wireless Access point will help,but I don't know if it's not gonna cost more than a WLAN card for the xbox360
    :P ah I know man, but I cant afford to leave my laptop on while its not even being used in reality, as the odd night I can play fifa for 2-3 hours straight :eek: and its just very cumbersome having to set up the laptop every time to play online.

But are those routers I linked in the OP (also what about this one: http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-wgr614-cable-dsl-54-mbps-wireless-router-2HZ6.html ) capable of doing what Im saying, in the all I need to do then is set it up and then plug a internet cable from the back of the router to the xbox and im away, or is there a different type or router I need?

cheers for the help

:P ah I know man, but I cant afford to leave my laptop on while its not even being used in reality, as the odd night I can play fifa for 2-3 hours straight :eek: and its just very cumbersome having to set up the laptop every time to play online.

But are those routers I linked in the OP (also what about this one: http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-wgr614-cable-dsl-54-mbps-wireless-router-2HZ6.html ) capable of doing what Im saying, in the all I need to do then is set it up and then plug a internet cable from the back of the router to the xbox and im away, or is there a different type or router I need?

cheers for the help
    Well,depends if your original router supports Wireless-Bridging. If it does - yes,you just need another router capable of it and presto- you have a way to connect your 'box... (however if they don't,you might want to check out if a wireless access point can suit your needs)

The wireless router im using is: Router Name: Netopia / Model: 3347NWG and its running Software Version 7.5.0.

Do you know if this supports wirless bridging or how do I find out?

Also, any other cheap routers capable of wireless bridging then to put beside the xbox that you know of?

thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why not just buy the wireless card for the xbox? a router is going to cost you near enought that anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

To be honest if it was for gaming I'd probably go with a homeplug option instead. They're just as cheap with better throughput, and lower more consistent latency, so better for for gaming in general.

Couple of examples..
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/bt-comtrend-powerline-hd-ethernet-female-kit-4Z2J.html
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/bt-comtrend-powerline-hd-ethernet-female-kit-4Z2J.html

It's certainly possible to get something working with two wireless base stations, but it can be very tricky. Not all products support what you're trying to do, or may require non standard firmware so you'd have to really know what you're doing before parting with any money. I'd definitely go with the Xbox wireless adaptor as a first option there if you're decided on going wireless it's designed to be a wireless client so you'll know it will work without any hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Homeplugs are evil. They rarely give quoted speed, interfere with Radio and DSL and often suffer from Interference. They are only actually sold legally due to a technical loop-hole in CE / EU regulations.

I have Cat5e cables and a 2nd WiFi "airpoint" (a router with DHCP and router disabled) connected to main ethernet switch & router by Cat5e.

You can also buy dedicated ethernet WiFi access points.

virtually all DSL router/modems support a Bridge (Modem only) mode to use a separate ethernet Router/WiFi point.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

That's not been my experience at all. Granted advertised speeds are a joke, but so are those of wireless base stations. I've always found them to be extremely reliable with much better speeds and improved latency over wireless. I've also never noticed any kind of interference to my DSL even though one of them is plugged into the power point right next to my phone line.

Completely agree you can't beat cat5 cable, but it's just not possible for everyone, myself included, and in my own personal experience I find homeplugs superior to wireless for gaming.

Anyway none of that is helping the OP, no harm in throwing out all the options and let him decide for himself though.

watty wrote: »
    virtually all DSL router/modems support a Bridge (Modem only) mode to use a separate ethernet Router/WiFi point.
    Not in the fabulous world of the UPC Cisco box :P
    Anyways,I think that if the only reason why the OP wants a second router is the xbox,then he should just get a WLAN-card. As far as I can gather,it'll cost as much as a second router,without the added uncertainty of trying to set-up a wireless bridge.
    Btw,if the OP wants,he can check this thing -> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32545 (Have used the site mainly for printer inks and random gadgets,but no real problems with 'em)

UPC Cisco isn't DSL, it's DOCSIS.

Dealextreme is Hong Kong. Better to source an EU or you can be delayed by Customs and hit for 21% vat or more.

I use Asia only for unobtanium or things MUCH cheaper there.

watty wrote: »
    UPC Cisco isn't DSL, it's DOCSIS.

Dealextreme is Hong Kong. Better to source an EU or you can be delayed by Customs and hit for 21% vat or more.

I use Asia only for unobtanium or things MUCH cheaper there.
    Sorry,you're correct in your first statement - yeah,it's a DOCSIS,which should support bridging(per manual)... But in practice... yeah,forget it...
    As for the website,Nope,no I've haven't been slapped with VAT or Customs delays once (from 7 orders)... Not even the utility knife raised any concerns at An Post or Customs.
    sku_18253_1.jpg
    ^Yep,this got through Customs :P

Sorry,you're correct in your first statement - yeah,it's a DOCSIS,which should support bridging(per manual)... But in practice... yeah,forget it...
    I hear people are quite pleased to get the older Modem (Scientific Atlanta is owned by Cisco). Hope they update the firmware to fix the bugs.
    As for the website,Nope,no I've haven't been slapped with VAT or Customs delays once (from 7 orders)

I have had plenty of orders with no problem, but they do appear to be asking for copy of invoice more often before delivery and then adding 21% VAT + AnPost €6 charge to orders over €20. Over €120 you can be paying duty too.

It's just important for people to realise Dealextreme is a Hong Kong, not EU outfit.

Yeah I guess buying the official xbox wireless adapter is the best option then. I just thought buying a second router would only cost about half of what the xbox adapter costs. Thanks anyway for the help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

As for the website,Nope,no I've haven't been slapped with VAT or Customs delays once (from 7 orders)... Not even the utility knife raised any concerns at An Post or Customs.

^Yep,this got through Customs :P
    well, i have a letter sitting here next from the Revenue office to say that they want a copy of my paypal receipt for one of these that i bought from china at the start of this month.

out of 5-6 things that I've had sent from outside the EU in the last year, this is the 2nd one to get caught by customs, so don't assume that they're not looking for stuff.

vibe666 wrote: »
    one of these that i bought from china at the start of this month.

Oh... does it work PC or just PS3 or Xbox? Where from?

it has a 2.4ghz USB dongle that pops out of the side of it and from what I've read, it works just like any keyboard & mouse on anything with a USB port, just smaller and with a built in laser pointer so i can drive my cats barmy. :D

sent them a copy of the receipt from paypal and it's being delivered on Wednesday, so I'll let you know how it goes. :)

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    it has a 2.4ghz USB dongle that pops out of the side of it and from what I've read, it works just like any keyboard & mouse on anything with a USB port, just smaller and with a built in laser pointer so i can drive my cats barmy. :D

sent them a copy of the receipt from paypal and it's being delivered on Wednesday, so I'll let you know how it goes. :)
    Well,hopefully you'll have the thing sorted out... Who knows,I might just have been lucky with my orders,but we'll see if winning streak continues this week (I'm waiting for a replacement laptop battery)...
    Also,nice kb, I assume that the thing in the right-hand side is a touchpad?

Well,hopefully you'll have the thing sorted out... Who knows,I might just have been lucky with my orders,but we'll see if winning streak continues this week (I'm waiting for a replacement laptop battery)...
    Also,nice kb, I assume that the thing in the right-hand side is a touchpad?
    yep, yep & yep. :)

it's for a media centre PC attached to my TV that currently has a wired keyboard & mouse.

there's a little youtube video review of it here:

Just a quick update on the off-topic discussion about chinese web stores.
    Just got my battery and a couple of other things... Again,no VAT. I think it's because both packages from diff. sites are marked as "gifts"... Either way,i got a new battery for 30€ ... Suck on that HP(120€ from their site)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Right so I have an xbox 360, which I want tto get online with. I use wireless broadband in my house so its not possible for me to get online where the xbox is.

The wireless adapter for the xbox is about €50 :eek: but im just wondering, is there a cheaper alternative such as buying a router (im not 100% sure if thats what there called, or if its called a modem) and having that pick up the connection from the other wireless box and then putting it beside the xbox..
    I use a wireless access point that supports client mode ,its cheap and rock solid
    This is the one I have
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Wireless-TL-WA500G-Detachable-Antenna/dp/B002XKJ17I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=electronics&qid=1281099757&sr=1-2
    I cannot fault it .

Advertisement