Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New dog advice please

Options
  • 22-07-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've had two labradors for fourteen years and one died recently so I want to get another to keep the surviving one company and for the family.

I want to get one young enough to have energy for fun , games and walks etc but not too overpowering for the existing dog.

I thought about getting one between 18 months and six years old but am not sure about what age to get.

Also, which gender would be most suitable? The existing one is a neutered dog as was the one that died. Would a new dog be assuitable as a bitch?

Finally, how much should I expect to pay for one?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Labs come into rescues fairly often as the get too big for people to handle once out of the cute andrex puppy stage.
    You should have no problem finding one, they often have the dogs in foster care with families so can advise on temperament etc. What area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Yorky wrote: »
    I've had two labradors for fourteen years and one died recently so I want to get another to keep the surviving one company and for the family.

I want to get one young enough to have energy for fun , games and walks etc but not too overpowering for the existing dog.

I thought about getting one between 18 months and six years old but am not sure about what age to get.

Also, which gender would be most suitable? The existing one is a neutered dog as was the one that died. Would a new dog be assuitable as a bitch?

Finally, how much should I expect to pay for one?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, sorry to hear about the loss of your lab.

In my opinion the best dog to get in one from a rescue shelther. They have so many different types to choose from.... and i know this may sound silly but any dog i know or have come in contact with that have come from a shelther they seem to know they are getting a second chance and they are SUPER SUPER sweet!!!!

I also think you should think more along the lines of a bitch.

Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for your replies. I'm based in the North East and there are none at my local SPCA.

I know rescuing a dog is the right thing to do but I just have to have another labrador..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There's loads of other rescues apart from spca's so have a good look around, also they don't have to be local. Most will adopt dogs to other counties, just takes a bit of organizing. Try anywhere within a 2 hour drive, I know a local place here had several labs in recent months, but they do go quick.
    Older dogs(over 5 or so) can be hard to rehome for shelters and rescues so you could well get lucky.

Dogs aid have a couple listed http://www.dogsaid.ie/adoptable-dogs

I'm sure theres others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=1f1cc26437224cf54c8987f044d584ac

Good few labs and lab x's on this site and foster families are all over so no problems in inter county adoptions!

Am so sorry to hear about your other lab :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement