Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Newbie question on router/xbox wireless adapter

• 22-07-2010 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Right so I have an xbox 360, which I want tto get online with. I use wireless broadband in my house so its not possible for me to get online where the xbox is.

The wireless adapter for the xbox is about €50 eek.gif but im just wondering, is there a cheaper alternative such as buying a router (im not 100% sure if that's what there called, or if its called a modem) and having that pick up the connection from the other wireless box and then putting it beside the xbox.

Then sticking a internet cable from that second router/modem, into the back of the xbox 360, like you would with a laptop/pc etc.

Is this possible, or do you get what I mean? if so, is this what I would need? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...t%3EROUTER.htm
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-wgr614-cable-dsl-54-mbps-wireless-router-2HZ6.html

Will it be just the same as using the xbox live wireless adapter, i.e. connection will be good and not disconnect and will there be any problems connecting with it?

If so is that a good price and is it a good model? How would I enter in the wep key and such though? any help welcome thanks.smile.gif

Comments

You can do this:

If your laptop/PC has wireless internet, you can hook up an ethernet cable from laptop/PC to xbox 360. But I'm not sure if this is what you're asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

If you have wireless broadband in your house you should already have a router, unless it is vodafone or 3g broadband.

You should just plug your xbox directly into your router (if you have one). otherwise you will need to buy a wireless adapter for your xbox
    is there a cheaper alternative such as buying a router (im not 100% sure if that's what there called, or if its called a modem) and having that pick up the connection from the other wireless box and then putting it beside the xbox.

No you have to buy the xbox wireless adapter for it to work. You should get one second hand for about €30 tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

You can do this:

If your laptop/PC has wireless internet, you can hook up an ethernet cable from laptop/PC to xbox 360. But I'm not sure if this is what you're asking?
    I dont like doing this as it wastes alot of electricity leaving the laptop on and is very cumbersome having to bring the laptop in every time to play online.
    thorbarry wrote: »
    If you have wireless broadband in your house you should already have a router, unless it is vodafone or 3g broadband.

You should just plug your xbox directly into your router (if you have one). otherwise you will need to buy a wireless adapter for your xbox

No you have to buy the xbox wireless adapter for it to work. You should get one second hand for about €30 tho
    I cant plug the xbox directly into the router as the modem is directly below the xbox on the bottom floor of the house. It looks like ill have to get an official adapter. Pity I dont live near a GAME as their selling them for €25 new.

Advertisement