Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The castle nightclub to re-open.

Options
  • 22-07-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

It's a land mark in alot of our teenage years in Enniscorthy. I hope it go's well. What do the rest of you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    It's a land mark in alot of our teenage years in Enniscorthy. I hope it go's well. What do the rest of you think?

I hope it stays closed! Most local residents (ie those living in the vicinity of the night club) want it to stay closed. The level of drunkeness and general bad behaviour in the town after closing time is already appalling. In fact it has deterred me from opening a business nearby and I am looking for new living accomodation since the reopening was first in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

My memories of the Castle (or Club Casablanca as it was briefly) are all of fighting. In the toilets, on the dancefloor, outside... It was like Kabul without the interesting architecture. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if the hellhole never reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You can sleep easy Judgement Day,looks like it won't be opening after all-check out Enniscorthy Health and Fitness on facebook for the full story.In a nutshell Sean Nolan was planning to re-open it but seems like PJ Doyle(the building owner) renaged on the contract.Something about not opening businesses in a recession-wtf!
    I have some interesting memories of the Castle,in one way I can see the point of objecting to it(fighting/puking etc. on the streets) but one downer is the loss of much needed employment in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 The_ONeill

Bearhunter wrote: »
    My memories of the Castle (or Club Casablanca as it was briefly) are all of fighting. In the toilets, on the dancefloor, outside... It was like Kabul without the interesting architecture. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if the hellhole never reopened.

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

It's not Sean Nolan opening it now. They had an add in the paper this week looking for staff so I would think that it's not long off opening now.
    zerks wrote: »
    You can sleep easy Judgement Day,looks like it won't be opening after all-check out Enniscorthy Health and Fitness on facebook for the full story.In a nutshell Sean Nolan was planning to re-open it but seems like PJ Doyle(the building owner) renaged on the contract.Something about not opening businesses in a recession-wtf!
    I have some interesting memories of the Castle,in one way I can see the point of objecting to it(fighting/puking etc. on the streets) but one downer is the loss of much needed employment in the town.

• Advertisement

zerks - Thanks, I had a look at that site but it wouldn't cause me to be too optimistic as from my reading the building's owner has another client lined up. Sure the owner spent a fortune painting the entrance with a can of white emulsion a few weeks back so he's hardly going to leave it lie. No, when one door closes another slams in your face. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I know employment is much needed in the town, but six barmen, two dozen bouncers and someone vulcanising the chicken legs won't make much of a dent ion the dole figures. And how many nightclubs does a town the size of Enniscorthy need?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I can appreciate what Judgement Day is saying... if I lived anywhere near that place I'd be none to pleased. I can recall fights outside that place every other night it was open, and rarely a garda to be seen.

Then there was PJ Doyle with his slicked back do and the personality of a bear woken a month too early from hibernation.

Half the population of Glenbrien and Ballymurn working as bouncers.

Jabbers... County Wexford's Worst DJ.

Greasy Chicken & Chips in the upstairs.

By the time it closed it's doors it had become a mecca for people who couldn't get in anywhere else.

The Un-Yoke was the way to go... ship them all out to the middle of nowhere and provide a large enough car park for all manner of battle royale on a Saturday night.

Bearhunter wrote: »
    I know employment is much needed in the town, but six barmen, two dozen bouncers and someone vulcanising the chicken legs won't make much of a dent ion the dole figures. And how many nightclubs does a town the size of Enniscorthy need?

Not to mention the further unemployment it may lead to by further mucking up the visitor experience of the town already marred by broken bottles/glasses/vomit/dog poo/closed up tourist attractions and semi-derelict business premises. We need this nightclub like a hole in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭psomers

Once again we see the old grey bear's messing with the cubs. Sean has put in several months work preparing for the official reopening, ensuring that it was done right. Certain old timers seem to have the run of Enniscorthy and will not allow young entrepreneurs give it a go. I say shame on PJ the bear, to make a cub work so much and cost so much only to give it away for more cash at the last hour. I can guarantee that who-ever now has the contract will attract the ‘scum’ crowd again unfortunately.

By the sounds of it, we all need to go to Sean Nolan Health and Fitness now for the crack. He seems to be packed ever night, massive Gym, fair play to the guy. Check out his facebook - seannolanhealthandfitness - people are not happy with how he has been treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

They are doing food when it reopens???

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

ahh bliss, nice to see Wexford hasn't changed when it comes to things like this.you might as well tell everyone to go to the stores.

always the same. someone trys to do something or open something, and it instantly gets sh1t on right away without even as much as an inch of breathing space.

when taking on new premises that has bad past history, its hard, simple as that, now to add to it, all this bad mouthing already is certainly not going to help.

has anyone been on their facebook page ? well if you have, you will see they are doing their level best to show a difference, a name change for starters. and some people commented "whats the point in changing the name, people are gonna call it the castle anyway""

well its not about that,its about moving away from that past and that name and try to focus on the now. personally i hope it goes well, its more options for people going out to spend their money after working all week.
    more options to have a good time.

if everyone sat around dwelling on the past about everything, how fun would life be ? just because there was fighting and bad sh1t there years ago, what evidence do you have that it will happen now ? absolutely none,zero.no one can see the future of this place when it hasn't even opened yet.

good old negitive wexford,make sure and eat your young and give them little as life as possible, just to keep your own selfish miserable life miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

ahh bliss, nice to see Wexford hasn't changed when it comes to things like this.you might as well tell everyone to go to the stores.

always the same. someone trys to do something or open something, and it instantly gets sh1t on right away without even as much as an inch of breathing space.

when taking on new premises that has bad past history, its hard, simple as that, now to add to it, all this bad mouthing already is certainly not going to help.

has anyone been on their facebook page ? well if you have, you will see they are doing their level best to show a difference, a name change for starters. and some people commented "whats the point in changing the name, people are gonna call it the castle anyway""

well its not about that,its about moving away from that past and that name and try to focus on the now. personally i hope it goes well, its more options for people going out to spend their money after working all week.
    more options to have a good time.

if everyone sat around dwelling on the past about everything, how fun would life be ? just because there was fighting and bad sh1t there years ago, what evidence do you have that it will happen now ? absolutely none,zero.no one can see the future of this place when it hasn't even opened yet.

good old negitive wexford,make sure and eat your young and give them little as life as possible, just to keep your own selfish miserable life miserable.
    Here here.
    This town is being chocked by the negative attitude. I would rather see another pub or club in the town that the building being left to fester and rot away like so many others around town. It seems people are hapy to see the town die a slow death (whice is happening at the min) than a new buisness come in and try boost things up.
    I just had a look at the web site for it and it seems they are trying to get away from the old ways of it.

People are entitled to their opinion.
    selfish miserable life

We could just post unfounded personal opinions about others?

Judgement Day lives close to the venue... so irrespective of whether it's the Castle or another pub/club you know that getting a good night's sleep may not be on the cards come the weekend.

Other than that I couldn't give a bolox about the place.

and what evidence do you have that i was referring to him exactly ?

if you want a good nights sleep, move out to the country side.i lived on the main street for 7 years. i had many a sleepless night. i didnt ask any night club owners to close their night club down tho. i just moved .

and what evidence do you have that i was referring to him exactly ?

Who?

if you want a good nights sleep, move out to the country side.i lived on the main street for 7 years. i had many a sleepless night. i didnt ask any night club owners to close their night club down tho. i just moved .

That simple eh? Sure why not move to a villa in the South of France whilst your at it?

Let's not forget that there will be people living in owned premises in the area... premises in which 2-3 generations of their family were reared.

To say "move to the country" is just moot. You don't know each person personal circumstance.

no one can see the future of this place when it hasn't even opened yet.

Indeed... but like betting on the horses you can check the form guide.

i wasn't referring to anyone here...
    jpb1974 wrote: »
    That simple eh? Sure why not move to a villa in the South of France whilst your at it?

Let's not forget that there will be people living in owned premises in the area... premises in which 2-3 generations of their family were reared.

To say "move to the country" is just moot. You don't know each person personal circumstance.

im just saying that living in places near to clubs or on the town is asking for a sleepless night on weekends, it goes with the territory.

i myself lived around the corner from 1 night club for 7 years and the only noise i heard was from the music inside the club and there was a handful of occasions with people firing empty kegs around after when drunk., the biggest issue was the chipper around the corner, it was a massive spot for violence and noise, EVERY weekend with out fail. i just put it down to experience and moved, i never bothered to complain, who is there to complain to ?

as you say, its like "betting on the horses you can check the form guide" but the form guide aint always accurate :D

im sure the managment are well aware of the past, and it drive them even more to try and make a difference.looks to me like they are trying to make it up market. and show and administrate a massive level of respect.

everyone should really hold off and give it a few weeks of opening before they verbally run it into the ground. my 2 cents, peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

i wasn't referring to anyone here...

im just saying that living in places near to clubs or on the town is asking for a sleepless night on weekends, it goes with the territory.

i myself lived around the corner from 1 night club for 7 years and the only noise i heard was from the music inside the club and there was a handful of occasions with people firing empty kegs around after when drunk., the biggest issue was the chipper around the corner, it was a massive spot for violence and noise, EVERY weekend with out fail. i just put it down to experience and moved, i never bothered to complain, who is there to complain to ?
    And was this club operating when you moved in? If so, then you knew what you were letting yourself in for. Now, however, with the Castle having been closed for so long, there are a number of people living in the vicinity who didn't know they were letting themselves in for this, and are having it sprung on them. Are you suggesting that they should move just because someone has now decided to resurrect a business that has been closed for years, and not exactly missed?
    as you say, its like "betting on the horses you can check the form guide" but the form guide aint always accurate :D

im sure the managment are well aware of the past, and it drive them even more to try and make a difference.looks to me like they are trying to make it up market. and show and administrate a massive level of respect.

everyone should really hold off and give it a few weeks of opening before they verbally run it into the ground. my 2 cents, peace.
    I can honestly say that regardless of the specific premises in Enniscorthy, I have seen some of the worst carry on on the streets after closing time in pubs and clubs. I think a concern is that this will continue to happen in and around a reopened Castle, basically spreading the crap and hassle further through the town. I can see this happening regardless of how upmarket they try to be about it, because let's face it, Benedicts had that aim once upon a time, and look at it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Bring back Jabbers
    Bring back the suppers
    Bring back that big fat lad outside the toilets doing the bachelor competition (Ned Roche, i think)
    Cant wait for it, though this time i'm well over 18, i dont think it'll be as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

now people - who remembers the weekly Echo advertisement for the Castle?????

"The South East's Best Night Club With Millions Spent on It"

"Anyone causing the slightest bit of trouble will never be allowed in again"

don't get me started on the beer, Woodies anyone????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MJ23 wrote: »
    Bring back Jabbers
    Bring back the suppers
    Bring back that big fat lad outside the toilets doing the bachelor competition (Ned Roche, i think)
    Cant wait for it, though this time i'm well over 18, i dont think it'll be as good.

Jabbers - he was great. Greasy chicken and chips lovely!!!

The squad car outside with the terrified gardai - priceless!!!!

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I can appreciate what Judgement Day is saying... if I lived anywhere near that place I'd be none to pleased. I can recall fights outside that place every other night it was open, and rarely a garda to be seen.

Then there was PJ Doyle with his slicked back do and the personality of a bear woken a month too early from hibernation.

Half the population of Glenbrien and Ballymurn working as bouncers.

Jabbers... County Wexford's Worst DJ.

Greasy Chicken & Chips in the upstairs.

By the time it closed it's doors it had become a mecca for people who couldn't get in anywhere else.

The Un-Yoke was the way to go... ship them all out to the middle of nowhere and provide a large enough car park for all manner of battle royale on a Saturday night.

yeah I was too young for the unyoke but my husband has great memories!
    Rackards of Killanne tried the shipping them all to the middle of no-where thing but it didnt go very well.......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It seem that PJ Doyle wants to retain a lot of the stuff he spent 'millions' on for the re-opening,he really managed to cram a lot of crap into it as far as I remember,moose heads etc.:eek: I wonder will the sticky carpet be retained?

Advertisement