Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arrested Last Night

• 22-07-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

While I was walking home last night I met a guy and a girl drinking on the main street in my city. They had a box of beer with them and offered me a drink. I was fairly tipsy at the time but I new what I was doing. I sat down beside them and chatted for a couple of minutes while I smoked a cigerette (I know I shouldnt have).
    Out of know where the male jumped on me and started strangling me and punching me in the face. While this was happening the female attempted to stab me with something which I suspect was a broken bottle. I defended myself with my hand and received a gash to my hand. I managed to struggle free from my attackers and ran up the street. The male pursued me. I picked up a bottle on the street, turned around and threw it at my pursuing attacker. The bottle smashed at the guys feet and he stopped pursuing me. I ran back to my apartment and was in complete shock.
    I took the baseball bat from my house and cycled back to the seen of the crime in order to seek retribution. I saw that the travellers hadnt left. I dropped my bicycle 50 meters from the two and walked up behind them. The guy suddenly noticed me with a baseball bat and as I swang at him, he pulled his girlfriend out in front of him and I connected with her. He started to run and I ran after him and hit him in the back with the bat. I swang again and missed him and by this time both of them ran for their lives. I ran back to my bike and cycled towards home. Just as I was crossing at a set of traffic light three squad cars had surrounded me. I dropped my bat and put my hands in the air. I was arrested there and then. I spent the night in a cell. The cctv footage managed to pick up the footage of me attacking the two travellers but didnt pick up the footage of them attacking me. The female traveller has a suspected broken arm. They havent made a statement yet and if they do I could be looking at prison time. In my defence, my solicitor has said they tried to murder me.
    I feel terrible today. Im so tired and confused. Im not sure what I did is wrong. I need advise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Hope your ok.

What did you do wrong?
    Read your post again, got back to apartment in complete shock.

You should have gone to bed, or phoned the gardai.

Not grabbed a baseball bat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I felt sympathy for you until you grabbed the baseball bat and charged down the street after them. You kinda deserve what you get, though its unfortunate there is no CCTV footage of them attacking you.

The reason why what you did was wrong was because you were perfectly safe at the time in which you made the choice to pick up the baseball bat. Thus it was revenge and not self defense. Thus it was belligerent. This is why what you did was wrong. The right thing to do would have been to contact the gardai, make yourself a hot chocolate, and go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I do feel a lot of sympathy for you.

Having said that, you did act rather irresponsibility. Just stay out of trouble.. your solicitor will do all the talking. That it was out of character, that you were confused because you were beaten up by these scumbags, that you promise to lay off the drink, that you play football in the community or do volunteer work, etc etc.

The main problem is you went home to fetch the bat which shows intent rather than a spur of the moment decision. Hopefully the judge will be lenient and doesn't make you pay compensation. If you get a good enough solicitor he might be able to muddy the water so much that the case ends up being thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

My advice is dont post here again, if this does go to court it could be used against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

You're damned lucky they escaped and you're not facing a murder charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭skooterblue

You're damned lucky they escaped and you're not facing a murder charge.

You are lucky you escaped and they are not facing a murder charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

My gut feeling is you did the right thing, you were unlawful in doing so, but chances are if you phoned the Gards they wouldn't have given two fcuks.Yet again the innocent man is jailed.

These scumbags deserved a lot worse.
    Also some balls on you going back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

You shouldn't have gone after them again, you should have just called the police. In your defence, I guess being drunk, scared and hurt is a bad combination.

However, you should at least go to a doctor to get a medical report to prove that they injured you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

The number one rule is TO NEVER GET INVOLVED WITH TRAVELLERS they are a law unto themselves they have no fear ,They completely destroy hotels,they have no problems in brutally injuring their own family ,they know the law inside out even some of them cannot read or write and have huge support from their groups .The spokesman fro the travellers is an extremely articulate individual.

I personally had a manager who was a traveller ,he was an extremely nice pleasant individual to me and good at his job but whenever he went off to a wedding he would have to take a month off because of a fight which ended up in a stabbing. They are absolutally mental and have no respect for the settled individual . The settled really doesnt have much protection from them as everybody even the law is afraid of them. I'm a big guy and even I run a mile away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Death Wish wrote: »
    While I was walking home last night I met a guy and a girl drinking on the main street in my city. They had a box of beer with them and offered me a drink. I was fairly tipsy at the time but I new what I was doing. I sat down beside them and chatted for a couple of minutes while I smoked a cigerette (I know I shouldnt have).
    Out of know where the male jumped on me and started strangling me and punching me in the face. While this was happening the female attempted to stab me with something which I suspect was a broken bottle. I defended myself with my hand and received a gash to my hand. I managed to struggle free from my attackers and ran up the street. The male pursued me. I picked up a bottle on the street, turned around and threw it at my pursuing attacker. The bottle smashed at the guys feet and he stopped pursuing me. I ran back to my apartment and was in complete shock.
    I took the baseball bat from my house and cycled back to the seen of the crime in order to seek retribution. I saw that the travellers hadnt left. I dropped my bicycle 50 meters from the two and walked up behind them. The guy suddenly noticed me with a baseball bat and as I swang at him, he pulled his girlfriend out in front of him and I connected with her. He started to run and I ran after him and hit him in the back with the bat. I swang again and missed him and by this time both of them ran for their lives. I ran back to my bike and cycled towards home. Just as I was crossing at a set of traffic light three squad cars had surrounded me. I dropped my bat and put my hands in the air. I was arrested there and then. I spent the night in a cell. The cctv footage managed to pick up the footage of me attacking the two travellers but didnt pick up the footage of them attacking me. The female traveller has a suspected broken arm. They havent made a statement yet and if they do I could be looking at prison time. In my defence, my solicitor has said they tried to murder me.
    I feel terrible today. Im so tired and confused. Im not sure what I did is wrong. I need advise.

when you say travellers , do you mean tinkers or backpackers from abroad , if its the former , thats very unusual as tinkers dont go to the guards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Kingkong wrote: »
    My advice is dont post here again, if this does go to court it could be used against you.

nonesense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

OP we cannot offer legal advise here so your best bet is to talk to your solicitor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement