Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployment Benefit

Options
  • 22-07-2010 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hello all.

I have a quick question which I would much appreciate some information on.
    I have been working in the UK (paying 20% income tax) for the past 3 years, but am now forced to return to Ireland due to personal reasons. I have some money saved up, but it was well earned. I am enquiring to know, will i get unemployment benefit in Ireland, while i am looking for work, as i know it will take a while to find work. Will they take my savings into account? I think it is unfair if i dont, as i have worked hard over the past 3 years, and it wasnt easy.

thanks a million,

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Yes you should and make sure to make your claim in the republic as the uk dole is only 60 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

I looked into this before - afaik you need to have received jobseekers benefit in the UK (or any other EU country for that matter) for 4 weeks before transferring it to Ireland.

I presume that is to ensure you pass all the tests in that EU country so they dont have to test you again, but best to confirm with the dept social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I know for a JSA claim you are deducted €1 per week per €1000 of savings

I.e full claim €188 per week, where a claimant has €50,000 in savings (if lucky enough) they would receive €138 per week..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Jobseekers Benefit is not means tested.

Jobseekers Allowance is means tested and here's info re how savings figure

The formula for assessing the value of capital including property (but not your own home), savings and investments is as follows:

Capital Weekly means assessed
    First €20,000 Nil
    Next €10,000 €1 per €1,000
    Next €10,000 €2 per €1,000
    Balance (€40,000 +) €4 per €1,000

If you have a joint account with your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant, legally the total amount in the account is owned by each of you. Therefore it can be assessed in full against each of you. However, if you are both getting means-tested payments it will be assessed on a shared basis or against only one of you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test_for_jobseekers_allowance.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

jocotty wrote: »
    Hello all.

I have a quick question which I would much appreciate some information on.
    I have been working in the UK (paying 20% income tax) for the past 3 years, but am now forced to return to Ireland due to personal reasons. I have some money saved up, but it was well earned. I am enquiring to know, will i get unemployment benefit in Ireland, while i am looking for work, as i know it will take a while to find work. Will they take my savings into account? I think it is unfair if i dont, as i have worked hard over the past 3 years, and it wasnt easy.

thanks a million,

Jo

You can apply for JSB in the uk and when its in payment for 4 weeks you can transfer your claim to ireland for 78 days.Jobseekers offices in the uk will tell you what is required to transfer usually you have to present yourself at a sw office in the country you are going to and you will have to present yourself every month until the 78 days is up. Social Welfare in the uk will also need an address for you in Ireland. That is if you have an entitlement to JSB in the Uk.

If you do not want to go down the above route the below is the alternative.

When you return to Ireland you will only be entitled to JSA which is means tested the first €20,000 is not reckonable for means. You will have to fill out an Habitual Residency Form when you make a claim. Be sure and bring back evidence of termination of tenancy in the uk and your p45 from you employment in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

This thread was opened in July. Dragged up by a spammer.
    I think OP should be sorted by now so thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement