Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do they know?

Options
  • 22-07-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a gay guy, but straight-acting. I've two straight friends who talk about girls an awful lot. The issue is, they don't like gays and always give out about them saying it's unnatural etc. When I'm around them, and they talk about girls, they never ask my views, and I don't speak about girls i.e. boobs, ass etc. I remain quiet.

It's just lately I've been thinking about this, but is it obvious that you are gay when you don't talk about the girls like everyone else??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

joecouch wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a gay guy, but straight-acting. I've two straight friends who talk about girls an awful lot. The issue is, they don't like gays and always give out about them saying it's unnatural etc. When I'm around them, and they talk about girls, they never ask my views, and I don't speak about girls i.e. boobs, ass etc. I remain quiet.

It's just lately I've been thinking about this, but is it obvious that you are gay when you don't talk about the girls like everyone else??

Most people would think that you're just not interested, not that you are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭esposito

They probably assume your still straight to be honest. I've a straight friend who never really talks about girls (although i thought he might be gay too so i asked him recently and he said he does fancy women)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

If they genuinely believe that rubbish about it being unnatural, they probably also think that all gay men are flamboyant. I doubt it would ever occur to them that they actually know and like someone who's gay. If you ever want to see their jaws drop, just mention you're gay the next time they're ranting about them. I doubt they'll believe you.

The alternative of course is that one or both of them are also gay, and overcompensating. That's a bit far fetched I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lionchild

Hi all,

No it's not always obvious, unless you are quite flamboyant, which you don't seem to be. Just because you don't talk about girls doesn't mean they'll think you're gay. In fact I doubt they'll really notice. But why are you so adamant about acting straight? Just be yourself. As regards the friends and telling them you're gay, I say go for it! Just drop it like it's hot as Snoop would say! You could randomly make some statement about some celeb on TV! 'Jaysus look at the arse on him, I'd eat my dinner off it!' And if they have a problem with that, f**k em. Move on and enjoy yourself, you don't need friends like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Nah, I used to never talk about girls with my straight male friends even when they'd go on and on about them but they were still shocked when I told 'em I'm gay. I never got a negative reaction from any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Hi all,

I assumed one of my close friends knew for the same reason (I never expressed any interest at all in girls, never even pretended to)... however he hadn't a notion, and when I did tell him he was genuinely 100% gobsmacked....

He too used to make the homophobic comments so was kinda confused thinking did he know I was but so long as I didnt confirm it / it wasnt discussed it was ok but in the end he just hadnt a notion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You don't have very nice friends..

I never talk to my straight friends about girls, but they talk to me about boys and I nod my head and mmm every few minutes.:p

Advertisement