Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Depth For 2 Metre Wall

• 22-07-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

I am getting quotes for a 2 metre high garden wall at the bottom of my garden. I have had 2 quotes so far from builders that are highly recommended. The first guy said he was going to build the wall with 9" blocks and 3 ft foundations. Is that overkill? The second guy said ha would build the wall with 300mm foundations. Is that more realistic?

I've been looking online and there are huge differences between the recommended foundation depths.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭eosirl08.

When i lay 9" blocks on the flat i usually pour a 600x300 foundation if its just a boundary wall. a lot depends on the soil too and other factors. when it comes to foundations there is no real overkill as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Is that 600mm wide and 300mm deep? Or the other way around. It is a 2m wall and hopefully will have some wooden trellis on top to make it even taller (for privacy). So it needs to be good and strong.

mags16 wrote: »
    Is that 600mm wide and 300mm deep? Or the other way around. It is a 2m wall and hopefully will have some wooden trellis on top to make it even taller (for privacy). So it needs to be good and strong.

Yeah its 600 wide by 300 deep. should be plenty for the job with a bit of reinforcing mesh in the concrete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

mags16 wrote: »
    I am getting quotes for a 2 metre high garden wall at the bottom of my garden. I have had 2 quotes so far from builders that are highly recommended. The first guy said he was going to build the wall with 9" blocks and 3 ft foundations. Is that overkill? The second guy said ha would build the wall with 300mm foundations. Is that more realistic?

I've been looking online and there are huge differences between the recommended foundation depths.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

The min is 3 times the width of the wall iff the wall is in the middle of the foundations.

The 3 feet is probably because his bucket on digger is 3 feet:)

The 9" blocks are probably hollow block so u need solid blocks below ground level.

The foundation also need to be deep enough to avoid frost damage.

Are there piers included, if so the foundation needs to be shaped for that

• Advertisement

Carlow52 wrote: »
    The min is 3 times the width of the wall iff the wall is in the middle of the foundations.

The 3 feet is probably because his bucket on digger is 3 feet:)

The 9" blocks are probably hollow block so u need solid blocks below ground level.

The foundation also need to be deep enough to avoid frost damage.

Are there piers included, if so the foundation needs to be shaped for that

oh yeah sorry i thought it meant 9" as in 4" inch on the flat

Advertisement